Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice \ Opinions Needed

Bucket

Familiar Face
Hi. I am new to the forum, been lurking for a bit and have finally decided to pull the trigger on a new jacket.
I really like the slim fit of the M422a and the mouton collar; it would be like nothing else I have ever owned. I think it would be a great casual fall \ winter jacket, however I need some advice.
I usually only see them in the seal goatskin, which I think looks incredible, however, my casual attire (or uniform as my wife refers to it) is all black, consisting of black boots\shoes, black belt, black hats\caps, black graphic t’s or black based flannel shirts.
Is it a fashion faux pas to wear this jacket (seal goatskin) with black? Is the color close enough to black that is doesn't matter?

I would sooner order the jacket in black, as I really have no intent on buying brown boots\belts just to wear with this jacket.
Don’t get me wrong; I love the look of the seal goatskin and if TFL says it’s not sacrilegious to mix, I will do so without a second thought.

I know this is probably a really dumb question … and maybe it makes no difference at all, but I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
Bucket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I tend to wear all black too. I wear a couple of brown jackets with my black shirts and jeans. There will be some folks who insist on matching belts and shoes and jackets with trousers, or other such things. Let them.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
As far as black boots go, as long as they are not spit shined I think you can wear them with a dark brown leather jacket. I would avoid the all black outfit with the brown jacket though, break it up with blue jeans

I have a black cafe racer horsehide motorcycle jacket that I wear with blue jeans & brown boots quite often.
I have brown leather jackets that I seldom wear with black boots though, usually wear a grey or black jacket with black boots.
I have many more brown boots than black & more brown jackets than black.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
This might sound slightly insane but I always, always base my outfit around either black, brown or tan (I see it called russet a lot on here). Basically, leather clothing items (belt and boots at least, jacket too when applicable) will match or as good as. I dread mixing black and brown leather and never do it. Non leather items can be mixed, I'm a particular fan of tan or brown boots and belt and a black denim jacket. All black is generally for the night time.

schitzo

Suspended
I think a leather jacket and boots/shoes combo that doesn't match is the best way. After all, a leather jacket is not formal attire, is it? Too much matching looks over contrived IMO and that's not cool. If the jacket and shoes match that's definitely enough already i.e. I'm saying do not throw in a matching belt too

That said, all black, if it's your colour, is kinda fail safe and for some reason (perhaps cos more leather items are black than any other colour) doesn't look over contrived to my eyes. But do it in any other colour and it does!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Two tone is a conundrum, Butte!

Some of the recent examples are so nice but at the same time they go against everything I believe in, sartorially. I have concluded that while they can look fantastic (the recent Aero King of the road is just tops) they are not for me. Others who don't impose borderline OCD arbitrary regulations upon themselves might enjoy them and they will surely look good doing so.

Two tone is a conundrum, Butte!Some of the recent examples are so nice but at the same time they go against everything I believe in, sartorially. I have concluded that while they can look fantastic (the recent Aero King of the road is just tops) they are not for me. Others who don't impose borderline OCD arbitrary regulations upon themselves might enjoy them and they will surely look good doing so.
You must be one of those who thinks whites after Labor Day is a sin lolI hear ya. I'm not much for those types of rules, and I too questioned the two-tone thing, but I think I've changed my mind. We'll see. Generally, I try to match browns and blacks but not too hungup on that either if it looks OK.

I don't think it much matters either..especially since this style of dress is quite casual. Sometimes I'll match up most things..or just grab my favorite leather on the way out as usual. I think an M422a would go with practically anything.

simonc

Practically Family
I think it depends on the % of the mix, King of the Road is a good example, I have considered it and have concluded that majority rules. We have seen this too with black and white buco jackets of the 40's and 50's one isn't going to reach for white boots when black is the major colour. Slip on a black leather jacket and put on some brown boots, you will hesitate, then put on black boots, there is no alternative, the same rule applys to brown. Belts I don't care for too greatly. I think the only time one could possibly escape this top and tail rule is when one wears a brown hat above the black jacket and then and only then may the brown boots pass and that's a maybe.

Belt always matches boots regardless if jacket matches them. JMHO
I try to do that, but settle for the correct "family" of colors as browns cover the gamut from light to dark with reds in there. But yes, I agree on belts/footwear. With white tube socks of course lol

Bucket

Familiar Face
thanks for all the responses.

So what's the final decision? do I order the Seal Goatskin with dark brown mouton colllar and brown knits or do I order a black (goatskin or jerky horsehide) with brown mouton collar and knits?

I'm not overly concerned if this jacket is 100% historically accurate. My main concern is that I will be able to throw it on and not give a second thought to whether it matches or not.

Bucket

Familiar Face
thanks for all the responses.

So what's the final decision? do I order the Seal Goatskin with dark brown mouton colllar and brown knits or do I order a black (goatskin or jerky horsehide) with brown mouton collar and knits?

I'm not overly concerned if this jacket is 100% historically accurate. My main concern is that I will be able to throw it on and not give a second thought to whether it matches my traditionally black attire. I should also mention, I didn't point this out early, although most of my shirts, belts and boots are black, I only wear blue jeans.
Thanks again!

pipvh

Practically Family
Blue jeans? No problem, then! But I think a black goatskin M422a would also look pretty cool, along the lines of those William Gibson limited editions that Buzz Rickson does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn