Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice with a 1920's style suit please

Brian Topp

New in Town
Hopefully I've posted this in the correct forum and apologies that this question isn't up to the usual standards of posts here but I've been invited to a 1920's/1930's style wedding and was hoping that someone could offer me some advice.

I don't have the money to but an authentic vintage suit so would need to tailor my existing suit to try and look as close to the period as possible. I've got a charcoal single breasted suit and have brought a light blue shirt with a white collar to imitate the collarless shirts that I have read were popular at the time. I'm keen to add a waistcoat and bow tie to the mix but don't know what colour or patterns would be the best to wear.

Any advice or help would be very great fully received. Thanks.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So you have a limited budget and really just want to get advice on colors for (bow)tie and waistcoat, right?

With a charcoal suit the safest bet for a waistcoat would be light gray imo. If you can find a double breasted one it would certainly look more vintage but single breasted is OK too. With a light blue shirt a tie or bowtie in red, navy blue or silver/black pattern would work. Even yellow if you want to make it less dark. I would advice against green, white and all black. Only opt for bowties if you can tie them, don't get the pretied ones. Don't forget a pocket square that can compliment one of the other colors in the sample but shouldn't be the exact same color as the tie. White always works too.

Have fun and don't worry too much.

vlcsnap-294213.png

Not really 1920s and different shirt but illustrates the light grey waistcoat idea.

More casual but kinda cool:
Grey%2520Suit%2520De%2520Oost.jpg

More odd waistcoat pictures here:
http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/men-waistcoats-odd-vest-how-to-wear/

Last edited:

Brian Topp

New in Town
Fantastic, thank you very much for your help. Once upon a time I could tie a bow tie so I'm optimistic that with a bit of practice I can do it again.

I'm not planning on wearing a hat, I was tempted by the idea originally but I think keeping it simple with just the suit is my best option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy