Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero article

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As with anything, it's horses for courses. I'm a bit of 60s, early 70s fan, so to me this pair have a bit of Easy Rider cool about them that's quite appealing. I think I'm a very small minority here though. Ah well, can't win em all, and Aero appears to agree the majority, so I guess I lose! :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The colour isn't really my bag, but that particular design is interesting - makes me think of the Chrysler Building, for some reason.

I think it's more of a tan than an orange - it looks a little satsuma in that pic. I get the Chrysler thing too.

Big Blackadder fans, maybe?

"Yes, that's right! A lovely lovely jacket with great big lovely pockets."

Bloody hell, I just noticed that eBay link, Nick. £1,300 second hand? *faints*

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I think it's more of a tan than an orange - it looks a little satsuma in that pic. I get the Chrysler thing too.

"Yes, that's right! A lovely lovely jacket with great big lovely pockets."

Bloody hell, I just noticed that eBay link, Nick. £1,300 second hand? *faints*

I was thinking more of Nursey's udder fixation... ;)

I'd expect it to be more that reddish, very *slightly* orangey-tan that was popular in the seventies. Or somewhere between that and Aero's russet. Either way, I'm sure it is much nicer a colour in reality.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
The hippy jacket looks kind of preposterous on the mannequin but when I've actually seen it worn, either the Aero or the japanese one that's almost identical, it has always looked great. Dunno what they were thinking with the rhinetones thing on the back though, yuck.

The other one above is over elaborate for my tastes though.

Otter

One Too Many
I was thinking more of Nursey's udder fixation... ;)

I'd expect it to be more that reddish, very *slightly* orangey-tan that was popular in the seventies. Or somewhere between that and Aero's russet. Either way, I'm sure it is much nicer a colour in reality.

Edward, you are being udderly ridiculuous, it is clearly a Storse jacket!:D Seriously though looks more 1970's Battlestar / Buck Rogers to me.

frussell

One Too Many
I really like the hippy jacket, but with that many pockets, it reminds me of a kid's book my mom used to read to me - Katy No Pockets, about a kangaroo who didn't have a pouch, so they put an apron on her with a bunch of pockets to make her feel better. The "Little Wing" is a cool color, but the design makes me think of the forcedly "futuristic" looking costumes they put on Dr. McCoy in the first few Star Trek movies. He always looked like a 70's swinger, instead of a future dweller. Each to his own. Frank

Edward

Bartender
Edward, you are being udderly ridiculuous, it is clearly a Storse jacket!:D Seriously though looks more 1970's Battlestar / Buck Rogers to me.
J Jones...
I'd definitely say 'retrofuturist', though more Buster Crabb (or, at least, a later recreation) than Sam J Jones...

I really like the hippy jacket, but with that many pockets, it reminds me of a kid's book my mom used to read to me - Katy No Pockets, about a kangaroo who didn't have a pouch, so they put an apron on her with a bunch of pockets to make her feel better. The "Little Wing" is a cool color, but the design makes me think of the forcedly "futuristic" looking costumes they put on Dr. McCoy in the first few Star Trek movies. He always looked like a 70's swinger, instead of a future dweller. Each to his own. Frank

It's funny how the future dates so quickly... You can tell an awful lot about the fashions (and more) of a particular time by its perception of the future. I once saw a beautiful illustration, drawn in the Fifties, of a space pirate wielding a slide rule... Some date better than others. The original Trek somehow seems less dated that some of the early Next Generation. Maybe because the former was already an "old classic" when I first saw it... or maybe because we saw far fewer cast in anything other than Starfleet uniforms, which bear fewer fashion nods than the civilian clothing.

It's Nursey's original udder quote, but with 'jacket' swapped in. It has a ring of truth about it, doesn't it? :D

Ah! Yes, I should have picked that up. I might dig out my DVDs tonight.... Blackadder takes some beating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo