Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cafe Racer - Collar Question

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Anyone have an issue with the collar on you Aero CR pushing down on your neck? Mine's a couple month's old and I thought that in time it would break in around my neck and become more comfortable, but it hasn't. I then started rolling it to soften the leather. That kept the edge of the collar from jabbing into my neck, but I still get a downward pull. I didn't think too much about it until I was wondering why my neck has been so much more tense and sore than normal lately. Then a lightbulb went off! Anyone have a suggested method to make it more comfortable?

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
That was the main reason I got rid of my otherwise very attractive Aero Cafe Racer. It looked great, but was a real pain in the neck ...

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
That was the main reason I got rid of my otherwise very attractive Aero Cafe Racer. It looked great, but was a real pain in the neck ...

Did you try any fixes for it first, like the suggestion above?

I'd like to hear from people that have solved this problem on this particular jacket. I'm hesitant to try something untested and run the risk of screwing the collar up.

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
Honestly, I felt that the jacket was designed to sit on a motorcycle with hands on handlebars. Maybe softer cowhide leather is more forgiving, but the tough and stiff horsehide or the heavy and thick steerhide/cowhide is uncompromising -- the collar pressed against the back of my neck while I wore the jacket upright. In the end I did not try to soften or train the collar. I wanted that kind of jacket but not one that was specifically for the bike, but also one that I could wear out and about, on two feet. I felt that the Aero Cafe Racer was strictly a bike jacket, not really designed to wear on foot.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I wet mine with warm water and stretched it back and forth over the round edge of the sink.

Its better, but its still not comfortable in the neck.
I endure it tho, because I love the jacket :D

(mine is light steerhide, thinner then fqhh but still stiff)

Doublegun

Practically Family
Ok, I have to ask: if you are not riding do you actually walk around with the jacket zipped up and the collar snapped and if so, why?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I have to ask: if you are not riding do you actually walk around with the jacket zipped up and the collar snapped and if so, why?

That is a valid point and suspect that most at least do not snap the collar or even zip up all the way. However, I don't quite understand why not just go with a traditional collar. If the wind is a problem, why not simply have A-2 snaps on the collar to eliminate the wind issue? The mandarin collar on the Cafe Racer seems to be a design of form over function but would be interested in comment from the experts or hard core riders here who actually prefer the mandarin collar on the Cafe Racer and why.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Not sure how Aero would feel about this but I suspect one could ask about adding extra room to the neck/collar.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I was primarily throwing the different collar design as a rhetorical question as I believe that Aero is hesitant to make any significant design changes to their various jackets other than sleeve and body lengths.

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family

yes I wear it as a riding jacket, but I don't take it off the second I park my bike, I continue to wear it. I also wear it on days I don't ride, which is a lot since it's cold and rainy mid-winter here in Seattle (I'm lame and only ride on nice days). But the pull on the back of the neck happens regardless of wether it's zipped up or not. It does it even when completely unzipped. And no, I don't snap the neck snap.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
The mandarin collar on the Cafe Racer seems to be a design of form over function but would be interested in comment from the experts or hard core riders here who actually prefer the mandarin collar on the Cafe Racer and why.

Not an expert, nor am I hard core, but I do ride for pleasure and commuting duties much of the year. While not an Aero (mine was made by Langlitz) I specifically chose the mandarin collar for my cafe style riding jacket. I'd actually say that this collar design is more function over form (that really applies to this jacket as a whole for that matter). While not as dressy as a regular collar, the mandarin collar provides the bare essential wind protection for a rider's neck, much as the rest of the jacket design is based on the bare essentials from an overal protection standpoint. Stripped down and simple, just like cafe racer bikes. I suppose you could say that cafe style jackets are of a minimalist design. Regardless of the brand, the collar should be just as comfortable as any other collar type unless zipped up all the way and snapped (which I only do when riding on colder days). When snapped shut, the collar should fit close, like a shirt collar to help prevent drafts as much as possible. Just enough room for a baclava or a light scarf works out okay too. This feels comfortable when actually out on a bike with a riding position that requires the rider to lean forward to reach the bars. Not so much for just walking around.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I'm admitedly more sensitive to pressure on the back of my neck than most others, as I've been in two really bad car wrecks where I was rear-ended at high speed and sustained pretty severe whiplash both times. I think I'm going to try hanging the jacket on a doorknob instead of a hangar for awhile and see if that stretches it enough to provide a little more comfort.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Must be an Aero thing. I have 4 cafe racers and they all fit perfectly around the neck, like any other leather jacket. I don't ride, I like the simplicity of a cafe racer, the design is perfect.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I wear min eopen but its still more preassure on the back of the neck then with other jackets. I suspect it will be better with use tho, but mine isnt FQHH and I suspect that would be worse.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I found with mine it depends on the bike. On the VFR ( leant forward slightly, some weight n the wrists) I found the Cafe Racer very uncomfortable ( more to do with the angle my head is at rather than the jacket ... sort of like standing straight and looking at the top corner of a wall) ... on the GS it was absolutely fine ( more upright riding position) ..... in the end I sold it as it didn't fit with my range of bikes after I got rid of my Thruxton. I now mostly use an Alpinestars "highwayman copy" jacket with built in armour, back protector etc. etc. I sometimes wear halfbelts ( 1950's Aero, Californian and AL-8 Detroit) but not as often as the Alpinestars.

I am looking at a new Vanson though which gets some good reviews - AR2 - any thoughts ?

I only use my one piece on the YZR ... tracks don't allow anything else really :) :)

mattp

One of the Regulars
I noticed this especially with my super heavy steer cafe racer. If you stand side-on in front of a mirror and stand up straight you'll see the leather across the back of the neck crease and form a big roll / wrinkle. In a more relaxed posture this disappears, and to be honest I don't find it troubles me, especially on the new FQHH jacket.
I imagine this is a better option than having the collar opening further back and putting pressure on your throat when riding or wearing casually. Depends on your posture I guess how much resistance you feel on the back of your neck in day to day wear, and I imagine if it troubles you it should improve as the jacket softens with wear.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Update: The main problem here was the big seam running under the collar that rests right on top of my neck bone. When new and not broken in yet that seam feels likea steel rod. Breaking in this part of the jacket simply by wearing it wasn't working out too well for my neck. So what I did was, I hung it on a wall mounted coat hangar (instead of a standard coat hangar) for several days. Specifically I made a ball out of a small wad of tin foil, and stuck it on the end of the hook (to create a larger round, dull surface) and hung the jacket so that the end of the 'knob' was right
in that spot of the seam that rests on my neck bone. After several days it felt better.

Then I took the foil ball of and replaced it with a round thick and stiff cardboard circle (from a used up roll of packing tape) and set that on the coat hook, and hung the jacket on that so that the seam rested on the thing in a circular fashion. Left it there for for a few more days. Now that seam is better broken in in the right shape in the right spots.

Only thing bugging me now if the edge of the collar sometimes pressing into my neck. I tried rolling the leather to make it more flexible. That has helped but not completely. Next thing I'm going to try is Zipping the jacket all the way up, and inserting a football down into the neck hole which in theory should stretch the leather so that the collar leans outwards, not inwards. As it is now though, it's much more wearable than it was when I posted the original post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy