Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cafe Racer which boot match best

beaprepp

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I count the day`s for my first Aero order.
Like I wrote in another thread I will go with a black Cafe Racer.

Now, I need a pair of black boots.
What do you think which boot matches better?

Wolverinie 1000 Mile Original
or
Alden 405 (Indy boot)

I whish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Wescos are FAR superior...never wear the 405's any more and mine have cat paws on them.

beaprepp

New in Town
Wesco's are to chunky for my taste.

never wear the 405's any more and mine have cat paws on them
Why is that?
I know they are pretty expensive, but I love the style.
Surely you can get a better quality for that price, but talking bad about the quality of Aldens is complaining on a high level. (hope that was right english)

kyboots

Practically Family
I agree Wescos look big and clunky, but they are so comfortable to me and wear forever. When broken in they are pure comfort and protection. My feet are covered, warm and protected from anything.That big clunky Vibram sole really softens the walk. I would suggest looking at them and draw your own opinion. I love them!--- John

Last edited:

beaprepp

New in Town
Sorry, but I don`t like them at all and I think they are not aviable in Germany.

Lets call the thread:

Alden Indy vs Wolverine 1000 Mile Original

JanSolo

Practically Family
Ehhm, a medium brown boot with a black jacket? The Alden 405 is not readily available in black. This will have to be a custom job then.
I think a Cafe Racer looks stylish and smart when worn with Chelseas. Especially if those are less dressy.
I have these:
gardener-black.jpg

They are Goodyear welted and the upper is one single piece of premium calfskin. There are not cheap but of course fully rebuildable due to the stitched construction. They look and feel much much better than the ubiquitous (and cheap) Blundstones.
This place in Germany usually has all sizes and colours in stock at reasonable prices.
http://www.australiana.de/rmwilliams/rm_williams.htm

If you prefer a laced boot these go well with a black Black Cafe Racer:

90_0.jpg

The Wolverine boot is way overpriced I think. It's not better than a pair of Iron Rangers and it looks very similar. The leather sole is more suitable for a dress boot and if you want rubber overlays for heel and sole it's another 40 Euros at your local cobbler.

beaprepp

New in Town
Hi Jansolo,
I think we prefer the same style.
The Iron Ranger and the R.M. Williams are under my Top five boots.
I agree with you, the Wolverine is overpriced, but I love the look. This Wolverine works in every situation. Looks good in the woods and also in the office.

By the way
Last week I bought Indys in Tobacco Chamois
Not the colour I wanted, but they were on sale.

If someone in Germany is interrested: Raphel in Köln has some left in Tobacco Chamois and brown (kein Lederfutter) for 300EUR

AND the Alden 405 is still available in black
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...ld_m_indy_boot_high_top_blucher_workboot.html

and in Crome Exel
and in Cordovan
and in Brown Kudo
and in Natural Crome Exel

Damn I need more money

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's interesting! I never knew that the 405 was available in black. I've seen and heard a lot about the other colours. When LeatherSoul Hawaii adopted the fully leather lined Horween Chromexcell version, I knew that I should have waited....
Anyway, here are mine. Bought directly from Alden, New England in 2004. 5 times Babour wax treated with waxed laces:

4008084223_c754c24dfa.jpg

4008084245_c9cf8b2c36.jpg

EDIT: Judging from the built quality of my Gen.2 405s I have to say that I've seen many boots that are better made. I get the feeling that the 405 has been Alden's money maker for quite a while. They knew that it would sell even at lesser quality (i.e. no leather lining, no premium uppers etc.) just because of the movie background.
Today's 405s are better made with a much better finish and some nice details.

Last edited:

beaprepp

New in Town
As I saw the original 405 for the first time, I was really dissappointed.
I just have known the cordovan (Jerry`s Düsseldorf) version for a couple of years, which was very well made.

Your selfmade waxed 405 looks pretty good. (the watch as well:cool:)
I think the Cromexell version will be my next boot, after I have found a black one.

How is your opinion after you have seen the black 405s?

JanSolo

Practically Family
The black 405s look good. The hard wearing cork rubber sole should be a welcome bonus when you compare the Indy to the Wolverine boot. All in all 405s and Aero CR should be a good match. Have you also considered the Lewis Leather boot? I like them very much and they nicely mirror the 60s bike appeal of the CR jacket.

boo-178_2.jpg

beaprepp

New in Town
These are great boots, but for my taste it is just to much to wear a bikerjacket and bikerboots, when I don`t ride a bike.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I vote for the Wolverine Boot. I also like Iron Rangers.

Dont like the stitching on the top of the alden. Don't like it on other shoes too. Thats why I hate loafers ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy