Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Captain America

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I realise that Carrie's posted this link to Film Jackets on the Thurston thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own, not least to avoid their affiliate getting messed up with the usual digressions. It's a nice interview with Aero's Julie - not often we get to hear from machinists themselves - and Ken about the creation of the Captain America jacket. Good pics of an unusual vintage jacket too: http://www.filmjackets.com/current/captain-america-the-first-avenger/

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I saw this on facebook too. As a big fan of Julie's work it made me even more sorry I missed her on my visit. Personally, I found the part about the small linen tickets with maker's names on that are sewn into one of the pocket linings of every aero jacket especially interesting - as on my 20s Herc that just came back this week (it's ace btw, review and pics to follow soon) there wasn't the usual paper tag attached ro say who'd made it. So naturally after reading that I raced to check the pockets alas there isn't one in either pocket either. So I'm still none the wiser, though whoever it was, he or she has made a damn good fist of it

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
My jacket was made by the same person that made Cap's jacket??!! :eeek: :cool:

jackkirby-bicentennialbattles-03.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just pulling your leg ;) - I interviewed Ken for my newspaper about his early days designing for the likes of Santana and Suzi Quatro, doing stuff for Vogue photo shoots - it was a different beast though, not so 'jacket-centric'. Gotta say, I would love to see the Alaska Reindeer as an Aero option.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Interesting, there were some huge discussion about who made the jacket. Apparently the jacket made by Logan/Vanson is pretty nice regardless that it is not an Aero.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Just pulling your leg ;) - I interviewed Ken for my newspaper about his early days designing for the likes of Santana and Suzi Quatro, doing stuff for Vogue photo shoots - it was a different beast though, not so 'jacket-centric'. Gotta say, I would love to see the Alaska Reindeer as an Aero option.

That article was the s**t!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
*bows* eyethenkyou, but back to Captain America. Have to admire Julie for making 40-odd identical Bootleggers - that'd drive me a bit 'shining'... :eeek:

Edward

Bartender
I like the idea of a Captain America Aero.... Hmmnnnn..... when I saw the film, I remember thinking "lovely jacket, shame they ruined it". Ken's also bang on the money about the LVC jackets being spoiled by over-aging.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting. I had no idea that Aero did that jacket. I saw it on Logan's Closet as a Vanson, and I really liked it. Good article...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes but how much was Ken Calder involved when they made this picture around 2010 or so I wonder? I thought he was taking it easy then.

He did do the original pattern for Aero's Bootlegger, he owns the copyright on that (they're all date-stamped, in case you're wondering), so Julie was working from Ken's basic templates.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
But there does seem to be a bit of history rewriting in that he presumably didn't have anything to do with winning the contract or supervising the work. Or did he?

Julie is a very good machinist and she made a shearling lined Barnstormer I had once which was possibly the best made Aero coat I've ever had. But according to the piece all the credit for this jacket is going to her so did the then management have nothing to do with it? Did she cut it too? Could it be all a bit Winston Smith editing out the unpersons from the record?

garzo

One of the Regulars
Fantastic jacket, but I have to say, I never imagined it was actual horsehide -- it looked so much thinner in the film, and the way it was all shredded in the end, I though it was made out of lambskin.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Ken and Lydia may have been esconced in retirement in the Highlands, Denny and Holly may have been pursuing other endeavours and 80% of the machinists and the cutters and management may now not be there.

That's not really the point ... a little bit of credit to Ms Leitch ... she's a mighty talented lady and I believe still producing a vast quantity of jackets today despite her General Manager role. Who knows where Aero would be today without her contribution, well done Julie. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have been off the grid for the past few days and just saw this thread, including the extremely interesting interviews with Ken and particularly Julie who constructed my last two jackets (Teamster and Pioneer). I can personally vouch for the quality of her work and see both of my jackets done by her as works of art. I never noticed the tags inside the left handwarmer pockets of both jackets with initials "J.L" until after reading the article. :D

wdw

One Too Many
Let me jump on the praise Julie bandwagon. I've met her a few times now to discuss jackets she was making or had made for me. Her work is second to none and she couldn't have been more helpful or friendly whenever I was pestering her. It's good to see her get some recognition, as it's very well deserved.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
But there does seem to be a bit of history rewriting in that he presumably didn't have anything to do with winning the contract or supervising the work. Or did he?

Julie is a very good machinist and she made a shearling lined Barnstormer I had once which was possibly the best made Aero coat I've ever had. But according to the piece all the credit for this jacket is going to her so did the then management have nothing to do with it? Did she cut it too? Could it be all a bit Winston Smith editing out the unpersons from the record?

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff