Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman fit advice wanted

BlueSteel

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately I can't see the pics...they appear as broken jpeg's:
Broken-image-icon-in-Chrome.gif

Yup - cannot see the pics from my computer either.

LAW7

New in Town
I reposted the pics (and reposted them and reposted them...I still don't know how to do it right, exactly) further down in the thread and people seem to be seeing them.

LAW7

New in Town
Plus the FQHH pics appear in the Thread Gallery that you should be able to see. Why the Vicenza pics don't appear there too, I don't know!

BlueSteel

One of the Regulars
I reposted the pics (and reposted them and reposted them...I still don't know how to do it right, exactly) further down in the thread and people seem to be seeing them.

Gotcha! I can see your FQHH, but not the Vincenza.

In terms of the FQHH, it does appear to fit you like my recently bought (used) Highwayman fits me. Which is to say pretty good, but maybe not ideal.

Like Carlos said, the fit for me is more than acceptable because I bought the jacket used and got a very fine price.

Could be that the Highwayman pattern is not perfectly suited to your body type (or mine)?

I am also one of those guys who is not super-fit...my 6-pack turned into a 24-pack years ago...lol. And I have a long torso, so short jackets sometimes don't look great on me.

My other 2 Aero jackets are both more flattering on me in terms of fit/shape - my J106 is probably best, followed by my August.

Might be worth exploring other patterns than the Highwayman?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also am cinching in the bottom just about all the way in the photos.
That is what I tried as well with my first Highwayman and unfortunately it just does not do much to improve the fit. It actually makes the fit a little worse by creating a balloon effect where the jacket is tight at the bottom but blousy through the middle. If the straps were a little higher, like a halfbelt style jacket, then they would be useful in shaping the jacket. As it is, they are best left a bit loose.

LAW7

New in Town
I don't see the premier version. But your regular Highwayman looks good to go. Classic. Personally I prefer the regular Highwayman ( ) shape.

Check out Dav's Highwayman here: (half way down the page)
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/favorite-forum-member-jacket.90579/page-2

I love Dav's, of course. Mine might not get there in my lifetime, but I hope it will
Gotcha! I can see your FQHH, but not the Vincenza.

In terms of the FQHH, it does appear to fit you like my recently bought (used) Highwayman fits me. Which is to say pretty good, but maybe not ideal.

Like Carlos said, the fit for me is more than acceptable because I bought the jacket used and got a very fine price.

Could be that the Highwayman pattern is not perfectly suited to your body type (or mine)?

I am also one of those guys who is not super-fit...my 6-pack turned into a 24-pack years ago...lol. And I have a long torso, so short jackets sometimes don't look great on me.

My other 2 Aero jackets are both more flattering on me in terms of fit/shape - my J106 is probably best, followed by my August.

Might be worth exploring other patterns than the Highwayman?

Yes, I've been looking at them. Will discuss with Carrie.

LAW7

New in Town
That is what I tried as well with my first Highwayman and unfortunately it just does not do much to improve the fit. It actually makes the fit a little worse by creating a balloon effect where the jacket is tight at the bottom but blousy through the middle. If the straps were a little higher, like a halfbelt style jacket, then they would be useful in shaping the jacket. As it is, they are best left a bit loose.

Good idea, thanks. I will loosen them a bit and see how much that helps.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Ok now I can see the Premier "44" as well. Maybe just some "touches" to the shoulders that Carrie could do so you are bit more comfortable, but this is the one to go for from a fit perspective if it was me. Like that a lot!

What are your thoughts with the Vicenza verses the FQHH Horween?

Marker2037 makes a great point about the "hug" and fit as well...

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Yes I have a Premier Highwayman in black CXL FQHH

Mine does feel a little tight across the shoulders, and is not comfortable on my neck if I have it zipped all the way up. I've been working the area between the top of the zipper and the collar to try getting the neck hole area a little bigger. With time I expect it'll help a little. The arms are also a little slim for complete comfort. Its not the kind of jacket I put on and forget about like the JL "Cascade" I got. That being said, I really like it and enjoy wearing it as part of a larger rotation.

The premier you pictured in Vicenza LOOKS just about perfect. It sounds like you have some of the same feelings about its comfort. Its one of those things you've probably seen people talk about: sometimes a jacket that looks good in pics is just too tight to actually wear.

In the end it may be difficult to get exactly the jacket you want due to Aero's tolerances for deviation from the specified measurements - I passed on quite a few 42 premier hwm for sale before finding this one.

If the tubular thing is a big concern for you, I think its part of the jacket and something that will pass with time as you break the body in. It's still happening with mine a bit, you can actually see it some in the picture I posted today. When zipped the front becomes more rigid and pulls away from your waist instead of resting against it. On a new jacket I'm sure the effect would be more pronounced.

8c635520-473f-45e7-9711-54e41bf63c5e-jpeg.373919

LAW7

New in Town
I definitely am not used to the hug. At all. You all probably know that there are several TFL leather jackets threads where folks agree that if it fits you a little big it usually turns out fine, and if it fits you a little small it often stays in your closet unworn. Seems a bit like the common law (yeah, I'm a lawyer now, post clothing biz): in many areas, there's a line of cases that you feature in your brief that all come to the conclusion you like, and then there's a counter-line of cases that the other side emphasizes, that all come to the opposite conclusion. Carrie said she could ask Aero to make the 44 PHWN on the big end of the continuum on top. I suppose a 46 would be going too far but I'll ask her. As for Vicenza vs FQHH Horween, I definitely prefer the latter based on these two examples. I know people have differing views and tastes. I've probably read every thread where you guys discuss Aero leather choices.

LAW7

New in Town
Just read Mrfrown's very helpful post making some of the same points I just made. His Premier now looks great to me. As he says it did look more tubular before.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to try to post the PHWN Vicenza pics again, here. I think I've done it so it will show each photo three times, unfortunately; sorry about that, if that happened. I uploaded each of the three once, and then clicked Full Image wherever that choice showed up.
View attachment 374005 View attachment 374006 View attachment 374005 View attachment 374006 View attachment 374007 View attachment 374005 View attachment 374006 View attachment 374007

Much better fit.
IMO you could still go one size down comfortably, but 44 looks like a nice layering size.
If it was me i would order a shorter body length, i find it a bit long.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This sentance, from Mr. Frown is one of the best I have read on FL so far: "The premier you pictured in Vicenza LOOKS just about perfect. It sounds like you have some of the same feelings about its comfort. Its one of those things you've probably seen people talk about: sometimes a jacket that looks good in pics is just too tight to actually wear."

100% spot on. Carlos dosen't reccommend "skin tight" fits, he is practical and wears his jackets in every type of life situation imaginable. I owned a "44 PMHM" a while back that was Ton312's "blue FQHH" gem. Unfortunetly, it was simply too small for me. I stubbornly ignored much commentary to this fact, until I realized - it was right. That is also why it really did not come out for use all that often.

It might also be why the Hookless zipper gave up the ghost on me in Lowe's a few days after I recieved the jacket. But that's a story that has it's own thread, and was rather humorous too! One thing about this crazy hobby - you learn to laugh, often at mistakes that we ourselves make. :) I would not suggest a Hookless type zipper for your first leather jacket.

Keep asking great questions -- you are doing this right! Nail the fit first...

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I think both your fit jackets look good. I think in Aeros patterns there are frequently jackets that look great in pictures and jackets that are great to wear. The overlap is pretty small. Do you live in a climate in which you can wear it unzipped most of the time or with only a tshirt? If so this is the sweet spot for jackets looking great in pictures. If you need to be able to add a thicker shirt or drive a car with the jacket zippered you’ll need to sacrifice aesthetic perfection.

i missed a few posts. I see i am late to the party and redundant

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran