Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl and Elvis MC Jacket

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I've been seriously thinking about getting both the aforementioned models from Aero, in fact I've already started contacts with Christine but would use some help and would like to know
if someone around here owns/has owned something in the style of this two models.
Would like to know about the fit and feel of those two jackets.
By the way I'm not much of a big fellow, 5 ft 9 inches and 155 lbs and a 36.5 chest so super roomy stuff fits very awkwardly in me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Dustbowl fits like a standard 30s half-belt. I have one in shinki, similar to the Vicenza leather, it's a 38 rather than a 36 so a little bit looser than I'd normally wear, but not over-sized, so they run true-to-size. I would be tempted to go with a lighter leather to get a better drape straight out the box than the heavy horse.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To my way of thinking, the only similarity between the Dustbowl and Elvis Bike jackets is that both are made with leather. :D @Sloan1874 made the comment that the Dustbowl fits like a standard 1930's halfbelt, which pattern along with the Cafe Racer/Sheene pattern are my all time favorites for a form-fitted look. Well, maybe add the Board Racer in the mix too. I also prefer the Vicenza HH for a fantastic drape and feel.

If both the Dustbowl and Elvis Bike jackets appeal to the op, I suspect he will eventually end up with both. There are numerous members here that love the look of a jacket like the Elvis Bike, which is simply not my cup of tea. Just my preference, nothing derogatory intended.

Edward

Bartender
Definitely to very different jackets, both great. I'd be inclined to order one in brown or cordovan, the other in black. Always seek advice from Aero on sizing. My experience, though, is that I wear a 42cin a Highwayman, and a 44 in most other jackets, especially the prewar styles.

FWIW, I have a Dustbowl in Horween Bison (I believe Aero no longer offer this hide). It's a hefty one, but I like that. Much like the FQHH, it will breakin to become very soft over time. If you prefer a lighter leather more generally, I'd suggest the Aero goat - lovely hide, available in a couple of browns and a black. I'd havegone with that had I not been seducced by the lovely grain of the Bison.

With the Elvis, definitely check with Aero about the shape. I've found before that some of Aero's bike jacket patterns nip in *very* tightly at the waist - for instance, the standard MC (Perfecto type one) in a 42 nips in to about a 36-37" at the waist - smaller than a size 42 30s HB. n that one, while I can wear a 42 on the chest / shoulders, I need to go up a size for the waist, as I just don't narrow in that much at the middle. Always worth asking for a full set of measurements to be sure.

As I'm sure you're aware, the pound is currently very low against the Euro, so now's a goo time to order from the EU, especially if you can arrange to pay upfront.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
To my way of thinking, the only similarity between the Dustbowl and Elvis Bike jackets is that both are made with leather. :D @Sloan1874 made the comment that the Dustbowl fits like a standard 1930's halfbelt, which pattern along with the Cafe Racer/Sheene pattern are my all time favorites for a form-fitted look. Well, maybe add the Board Racer in the mix too. I also prefer the Vicenza HH for a fantastic drape and feel.

If both the Dustbowl and Elvis Bike jackets appeal to the op, I suspect he will eventually end up with both. There are numerous members here that love the look of a jacket like the Elvis Bike, which is simply not my cup of tea. Just my preference, nothing derogatory intended.

The thing is the Dustbowl will be a more versatile jacket.
The Elvis is for riding mostly and to be the alternative to my current Cafe Racer.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Definitely to very different jackets, both great. I'd be inclined to order one in brown or cordovan, the other in black. Always seek advice from Aero on sizing. My experience, though, is that I wear a 42cin a Highwayman, and a 44 in most other jackets, especially the prewar styles.

FWIW, I have a Dustbowl in Horween Bison (I believe Aero no longer offer this hide). It's a hefty one, but I like that. Much like the FQHH, it will breakin to become very soft over time. If you prefer a lighter leather more generally, I'd suggest the Aero goat - lovely hide, available in a couple of browns and a black. I'd havegone with that had I not been seducced by the lovely grain of the Bison.

With the Elvis, definitely check with Aero about the shape. I've found before that some of Aero's bike jacket patterns nip in *very* tightly at the waist - for instance, the standard MC (Perfecto type one) in a 42 nips in to about a 36-37" at the waist - smaller than a size 42 30s HB. n that one, while I can wear a 42 on the chest / shoulders, I need to go up a size for the waist, as I just don't narrow in that much at the middle. Always worth asking for a full set of measurements to be sure.

As I'm sure you're aware, the pound is currently very low against the Euro, so now's a goo time to order from the EU, especially if you can arrange to pay upfront.

The Dustbowl I'm pretty much certain that 38 or 36 will do the job. As Sloan pointed out the fit is like a standard half-belt.
My problem here really goes with the Elvis. A motorcycle jacket can't be too roomy or you'll have air going up that jacket all the time and look like an inflating balloon experiment. The fit will have to be well nailed down.
The waist poses no problem for me.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure I'd consider the Elvis for a riding jacket either. It's a totally kick ass jacket for sure but I've owned multiple j-106's and always preferred my Vanson HWYMN for riding. For reasons I have a hard time articulating, it's just a better riding jacket. Could well be I sized the j-106 poorly for a riding jacket but it just never felt the way the Vanson did, like it was meant for that purpose. I could dial in the fit with side laces...just a better fit for riding for me.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I've got some riding jackets but mainly cafe racer style and a very old, fairly broken and worn brandless Perfecto style jacket (it was my fathers jacket from the late 70's early 80's).
I'm searching for an exact style, in this case a 50's styled Mc jacket like for example the Buco J-106's but I prefer.
With some tweaks I think the Elvis will end up a comfortable, functional and stylish option.
PS: I'm not fond of the laces. Side adjusters are way better.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
oLh7lgG.jpg
oLh7lgG.jpg

Nice lining I chose.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I have the same cotton tartan in my bootlegger, it is very nice, feels much softer than the cotton drill, almost ike a slighty thicker good quality T-shirt. Not too warm.

Its in this thread if you want to see it in a full jacket:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-new-pair-of-aeros.87105/
I have a Cafe Racer with the Lanarck tartan, the others are coton drill. So decided for the royal stewart one. Have to try one of the other Lochcarron Tartans one of these days.
BTW that Hercules is a beast.

Amir

New in Town
Just to compare, I am delighted with my Dustbowl in black goatskin, olive drab stitching and moleskin lining.

My preference, at least for me, is that the FQHH is generally more suited to jackets like the Teamster (although Aero's goat is lovely in any style).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR