Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero FQHH "heavy wear"....

Edward

Bartender
Anyone with a shearling lining? Does it "poof" out the jacket much?

Not got that in one of my own Aeros, but I've seen a few and never seen it to do that. I'd be wary of it as an option in especially short and neat-fitting jackets, though, like a thirties halfbelt; IMO, those really aren't designed for layering, and if worn big enough to allow a heavy sweater, they'll look too big. As distinct from, say, a boxier style like a Highwayman. The danger, then, is that while you can get a thirties halfbelt with a shearling lining, for that sake of argument, that will look great over a shirt.... for me personally, by the time I'd want a shearling jacket, the temperature is already likely to be at the level where I'm going to want a sweater below it as well, so I wouldn't want one I couldn't do that with. This sort of thing will vary from person to person - we're all different, and nobody else can tell you exactly what you'll find idea at certain temperatures - I just raise the idea as something to think about as you don't want to end up with a jacket that's too warm for most of the year, fine for a couple of weeks, and then too cold for the worst of the Winter.

Windward

Practically Family
Anyone with a shearling lining? Does it "poof" out the jacket much?

OK - here's the same model shearling lined and it is not puffy at all. After wearing a few month I can say that the shearling became more flatting.
Here straight out of the box: Windward vintage brown FQHH with brown mouton fur collar -

And here after 2 winter seasons later:

relaxed after heavy rain ... and the mouton fur collar is now more vintage like a teddy bear:

I am starting to wear this jacket when the temperature drops to 15 degrees celsius . . .

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
That jacket, more than any other, always reminds me of the ones my father and his friends wore back in the1950's.

Interesting to hear!
From the AERO website. . . "The Aero Windward is a replica of a short neat fitting jacket from the 1950s, often worn by Hollywood film stars."

Edward

Bartender
It's a very 50s civilian jacket, yeah. I think concealing the elastic round the wasitband insdie leather, rather than having wool or nylon knits was a new idea then, and probably a feature of more expensive jackets too as it must have been more labour intensive to manufacture. It's a design element that tends to produce strong reactions for and against, aesthetically, though I can see a big practical plus in terms of avoiding moth damage. Have Aero reintroduced it? I had the idea from somewhere it had been dropped, but maybe not.

I think they did it on the Cropduster.
Windward/ Montgomery Wards and Sportclad/ Penney's jackets did that a lot.

zebedee

One Too Many
Aero brown fqhh Highwayman, 10+ years old (2009 purchase, I think). Definitely my favourite Aero overall. EA405733-E7C3-4345-B2B4-527524546DFD.jpeg 804FAEB4-3546-4355-B513-FC37C6DC5DA6.jpeg 5E09FD5B-D173-4F29-B4F9-92106B8277BA.jpeg AE3623A8-7AC8-4E02-8CF7-3F86A519DB93.jpeg

zebedee

One Too Many
I still reckon that fqhh gets the best overall patina - it just takes time and really frequent wear. In terms of weight, though, Vicenza is more wearable (at least to me). I'd really like to see black jerky hh after years of wear.

Albe64

One of the Regulars
I have several leather jackets in several hides and shapes....but in this moment of my life Aero's FQHH patina and heavyness is something close to perfection to me...it really touches my heart to see my Aeros getting older as I am trying to do...getting better and still strong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy