Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero FQHH VS Steerhide for winter wear

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Anyone that has both FQH and Steerhide Aero jackets...which do you prefer for winter wearing? I'm guessing steer might be preferable?...being a little thicker I'm guessing means it would be warmer, and it being less stiff than FQHH would keep it more flexible outside in very cold weather, being that it wouldn't harden up the way FQHH does. Thoughts?

Also, how does Aero's steerhide age compared to their FQHH.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Leather is not a "warm" material and thickness makes almost no difference. It's the lining or what you wear underneath that keeps you warm.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Anyone that has both FQH and Steerhide Aero jackets...which do you prefer for winter wearing? I'm guessing steer might be preferable?...being a little thicker I'm guessing means it would be warmer, and it being less stiff than FQHH would keep it more flexible outside in very cold weather, being that it wouldn't harden up the way FQHH does. Thoughts?

Also, how does Aero's steerhide age compared to their FQHH.

Aero's C/X Steerhide is much thicker and stiffer than their C/X FQHH. Steerhide is a little bit warmer, but the main difference is that the leather has more body and develops a deeper/more dramatic grain as it ages.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Aero's C/X Steerhide is much thicker and stiffer than their C/X FQHH. Steerhide is a little bit warmer, but the main difference is that the leather has more body and develops a deeper/more dramatic grain as it ages.

Hey Carrie, how well received is their steer VS hh with your customers? Is there a clear favorite?

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I have owned jackets in both steer & horsehide,in my opinion horse is by far better..the heavy steerhide only works for me if used for a motorcycle jacket.

Dav

One Too Many
I own both and do wear the Steerhide as my winter coat, my only complaint would be that it getS pretty stiff in the cold, as for which is warmer, I couldn't really say as the Steer one has a double lining, so is bound to be warmer. As said above, it's all about what you have underneath, rather than the hide itself, IMO!

I own both and do wear the Steerhide as my winter coat, my only complaint would be that it getS pretty stiff in the cold, as for which is warmer, I couldn't really say as the Steer one has a double lining, so is bound to be warmer. As said above, it's all about what you have underneath, rather than the hide itself, IMO!

It seems to me that both C/X tanned hides would stiffen up the same in the cold. Of course the heavier hide even moreso. I agree the lining type makes the big difference in warmth.
HD

frussell

One Too Many
Cyber Lip - the heavy steerhide Long Half Belt I returned was twice as stiff when cold as the horsehide replacement Teamster I now have. I put a pretty good beating on it, and it was breaking in nicely, but if it was cold outside, it was like wearing a cardboard box for the first 20 minutes or so. I agree on the lining. Frank

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Obviously the lining or what you can get on under it is what gives it most of its warmth in cold weather. But heavy leather is still warmer than light leather just by itself. I can wear a goatskin jacket in cool summer weather when a horse or steer jacket would be too hot even with a cotton lining.

I wore an Aero 50's HBD with Tartan (heavy) and an Aero HG-5 with Alpaca lining (both jackets FQHH) and the Alpaca was warmer for sure. Both had cotton drill (heavy) in the sleeves and were OK for cold. It's what I wore under that really helped though. We has been said, leather (except that with sheerling) is not warm, per se.
So with leather, it's layers and a good lining. Otherwise, many other jackets will be warmer...
I've also ridden in the cold on my bikes and both leathers can get stiff in really cold conditions. The answer to that for me is an electric vest. Best accessory I ever bought. Then I don't need heavy layers to enjoy the ride. Flip a coin on the warmth issue...to be honest though - the FQHH wasn't broken in as much as the steer, which could change things.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've HH coats and jackets. My black "go to" leather coat in the winter was a "no name" single breasted barnstormer I picked up for penny's on the Bay. I had a short shearling liner that I had reparied at U.S. Authentic and a Mouton Collar. Those two features made all the diference for winter wear. I was always warm and toasty. My LHB in FQHH however was cold and stiff as a carp all winter long, but I wore it as my brown colored car coat all winter. The lining is the key.

Worf

apba1166

A-List Customer
The best winter leather jacket I have is a very thick/heavy naked cow leather with a thinsulate lining (Fox Creek). As someone said, it's the lining not the leather that matters, but the reason I like the naked cow is that even being thick and thinsulated-lined it can still flex easily, remain supple, down to 15-20F or so, which is as cold as I might wear it. And I can layer under it, and still move around relatively easily.
The other leathers, HH, or Aero Steer I always wear a wool poncho over til i get too warm, if it's real cold out. This works great, makes them supple. Storm cuffs also add a lot of warmth.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Top Photo--C/X FQHH; Bottom Photo--C/X Steerhide. Both jackets have three months of wear.

As you can see, the horsehide breaks in much quicker and has far less "body." Also, the horsehide "drapes" while the steerhide has a much greater tendency to keep the jacket's shape.

Attachment6halfbeltwithfurcollar_zps497da9e4.jpg

Wade11-2_zpsdb280b42.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Boy would I love to browse in that store.... I'd probably buy one of everything. Interesting to hear that about horse - I would have thought it was the other way around. Good to know.

Carrie what is the tartan lining in your 1930's Aero brown halfbelt is it cotton? And what's the longest back length you keep in stock in a 42?

Last edited:

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Boy would I love to browse in that store.... I'd probably buy one of everything. Interesting to hear that about horse - I would have thought it was the other way around. Good to know.

Carrie what is the tartan lining in your 1930's Aero brown halfbelt is it cotton? And what's the longest back length you keep in stock in a 42?

We do have a brown 42 in stock with a Weathered Grant wool tartan and the back length is 26 inches, sleeve length is 26.75 inches. The jacket has two interior pockets, right side zip closure and left side snap closure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy