Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Gabardine lining - is this option still available ?

borisna

A-List Customer
Mark from Aero USA said a while ago they don't offer it anymore, I thought maybe they ran out of gabardine at the time...

First I've heard of it.
I'd check directly with Amanda at Aero.
Gabardine is not difficult to obtain.
FWIW, I own Aeros with gaberdine and Aeros with cotton twill.
The difference in feel is.....negligible to me. And I have very very sensitive skin.
I actually prefer the twill, as it seems to "breath" better.

borisna

A-List Customer
Jeff could you please post some pics of your jackets with the drill linings?
I ordered a brown HWM and apart from the gabardine option, I can't decide between black or brown drill for the lining, I think that black drill will be a nice color contrast to brown leather

Sorry.
Don't do pictures.
I'm one of those folks who hates computers, hates photo download sites, hates digital cameras, hates trying to download photos onto web sites, etc. etc.etc.
There are lots of photos of Aeros with cotton drill linings on the Aero eBay sites. It is the "standard" lining. If you see a photo of an Aero and it's lining isn't either 1) a tartan plaid 2) Wooly alpaca, or 3) shiny, (and it isn't labeled "gaberdine"..which I don't believe any of the Aero USA jackets shown on the photo site have.... ) it's the cotten drill.
Here are just a few photos from the Aero USA eBay site..(You may have to scroll down the side bar to get to the lining photos...then just click on them to enlarge.)
Brown lining;
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/5252079
And again;
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/6113829
Darker brown;
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/15177580
Black;
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/9300105

Here is a link to the Aero USA page showing photos of some of their lining options, showing a few pictures of the cotton drill;
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/6756507

They may offer more colors. Don't know.
Again, I'd check with Amanda at Aero.

Last edited:

nissle

New in Town
When i ordered a LHB this May, Mark had emailed Aero Scotland and was told Olive gabardine was no longer available. I was bummed since i liked the brown leather and green lining color
combo.
I would double check with Amanda to make sure.

Windward

Practically Family
Jeff could you please post some pics of your jackets with the drill linings?
I ordered a brown HWM and apart from the gabardine option, I can't decide between black or brown drill for the lining, I think that black drill will be a nice color contrast to brown leather

Agree - black is a much better contrast to brown than brown to brown.
Also - as Jeff M - said cotton drill seems to "breath" better than gabardine ( I feel the same because I have/wear both)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Due to its complicated weave and sateen finish Gabardine is an expensive cloth. It was never meant to be a lining material but was used to make the Aero B10. Now that Aero has discontinued to make military cloth jackets they may also have run out of Gabardine.

However there may be several suitable alternatives. Ask Will directly. They may have much more in stock than what's listed.

Seawolf

Familiar Face
I just received my LHB lined with Gabardine about a month ago. Definitely check with Aero directly.

JanSolo

Practically Family
What did you end up paying for the goat skin 1930's Halfbelf.
Layne

Standard Aero Scotland price plus 35 (or 50...can't remember) Pounds for the leather hem. It think the double leather cuffs were a little extra.

Apart from that there's nothing really special about this jacket (apart from that it's perfect and I love it). The corduroy pockets were included and so was the throat latch.

Last edited:

Laynew484

New in Town
Thanks Jan,
I just received an email from Amanda stating the same. I was curious because I had recently visited a local shop that told me there would be an extra charge for the throat latch, sleeves, body and cuffs. But, would not produce a price break down. Thanks for the clarification. Does Amanda at Aero know you as JanSolo? I described your jacket in my email to her. Sure would make it easier if she knew that they had already made a similar jacket. It appears that I am on my way to ordering a "JanSolo" Aero 1930's Halfbelt.
Thanks,
Layne

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Aero is out of green gabardine, largely I think due to the "JanSolo-rush effect". All they have left is a very bright red gabardine, which sounds of limited sitability. Sir J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace