Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman Brown FQHH and Lost Worlds Suburban Russet HH

Edward

Bartender
It is my understanding that LW has no storefront and will not allow visitation. [huh] LW does appear to make a great product though.

Yeah, the website is very clear that they will only deal with customers via the website / telephone. All LW product I've seen has been very good, as long as you're happy with the weight. (I'd compare most of what LW use, weight wise, to Aero's heavy steer). They don't seem to be interested in doing anything lighter (a former Flounger - an owner of one or two LWs already - once asked if they would have a lighter hide; Stuart simply said "perhaps you're not manly enough for one of our jackets" and there it ended). I'm not such a big fan of the brown hides I've seen from them either - too "uniform" for me. That's to personal taste, though.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Think of quality leather as a piece of wood. LW paints their wood with russet paint. Aero rubs theirs with stain.

+1 - Perfect analogy. Not just for this comparison but with leather in general. It's all personal preference of course but I'm in the camp of those who like color depth and variation.

pawineguy

One Too Many
And to the OP, thank you for a great write up and comparison. There's a lot to love about both jackets. As a previous poster noted, stitches per inch can be a bit misleading. Anytime you are putting a hole into something, you are weakening it, so it really comes down to just enough (and strong enough) stitches to adjoin the two surfaces without creating a possible tear point in the leather surface. I would say that both of these companies definitely know what they are doing and I agree with the member who called them both "over built."

Timsum

New in Town
And to the OP, thank you for a great write up and comparison. There's a lot to love about both jackets. As a previous poster noted, stitches per inch can be a bit misleading. Anytime you are putting a hole into something, you are weakening it, so it really comes down to just enough (and strong enough) stitches to adjoin the two surfaces without creating a possible tear point in the leather surface. I would say that both of these companies definitely know what they are doing and I agree with the member who called them both "over built."

Cheers, Pawnie. It's us jacket fanatics that tend to read too much into such minute details. Sort of like trying compare Northampton made to Italian made shoes. Why can't I just enjoy my jackets without thinking and reading so much into the details? If I didn't, then where's the fun, right? :D

thor

Call Me a Cab
I've owned Aero and Lost Worlds jackets. I think with LW HH and Goatskin jackets, there are no short-cuts to achieving a vintage look. You have to take a tough, thick, brand new hide and do all the work yourself. There's no tumbled hide option, no shaved-down thickness (to find a lighter weight hide), no light spray-finish topcoat color rub-off. It's just you and the leather in a long, quite enjoyable "battle of wills". The LW A-2 I "tamed" over a couple of years looked better then any other jacket I've ever seen. With LW it's well worth the effort!

Dr. Lecter

New in Town
Think of quality leather as a piece of wood. LW paints their wood with russet paint. Aero rubs theirs with stain.

Very nice analogy. I love heavy, long-breaking-in hides, but the LW looks like machine stitched vinyl to me. The coarser stitching, work-marks at the folds, and greater variation in the CXL FQHH's shading is what makes it beautiful for its purpose in my eyes. I want perfectly clean stitching in my business or formal attire, not my leather jackets.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I own LW and Aeros including a steer Highwayman and a black Horse Suburban. They live on the same rack very well. The Steer Highwayman in black is just so right. I have owned a couple of other Aero jackets that were superb but they didn't fit. Not the jackets fault. The fancy French HH Winward was actually too nice to wear, the heavy HH cafe was just not my size. Both were jackets worth owning. I have a near year old LW Test, a used Roadmaster, and sold a couple more that I tried on and didn't fit. Again not the jackets fault. When LW says it is a 46 it is a 46, I've learned that lesson. All the LW jackets I have owned have been varying weights. The Test is a full weight probably 4ounces (I just let him pick the hide) It is heavy, but not too stiff now. The Suburban is lighter, the Roadmaster pretty light weight. LW Horsehide is pretty old school. I own a lot of vintage jackets and the LW leather has more that flat, sheet like finish. There is no mistaking it for anything other than horsehide. When I put mine next to vintage black HH you can see where the LW jacket is going or where it came from. Other than the zippers I have would have a difficult time questioning LW workmanship or materials. They do come "built like luggage" some said in another thread. I would have to need money pretty bad to sell my Steer Highwayman.

I just acquired a "new" used LW "A-1" styled jacket via Worf via Lando. Both stand up fellas might I add.
I bought two LW prior, one for my son, one "flipper".
My son has taken 4 years to get it somewhat tamed. Compared to his Aero B-3, a lesser beast.

My new LW is every bit perfection and beast as I've owned.
It will takes years to break. But in spots it's already looking fab. Arms got good creases in my trip to Montana last week.
The best analogy I've read here is paint v stain. I have both types and I love having different looks for different occasions.

I might even say the perfection beats GW - no insult. It's like who's hotter - Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johansson. (Just examples so let's not debate broads).
My Aero 50's HBD was previously the toughest hide I owned. This rivals it.

It's all about taste, preference and needs. But I am thrilled with this new LW. Fits as well as any custom I've owned.
Perfect jacket in every way.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Lost worlds has some great looking cuts. His obsession with using god-awful thick hides has me scared off. Most of his work I see selling on eBay used looks new still. I like his buck but not with 4oz hide.

Upon closer inspection I see they use 3oz for their j100. Still too thick for that style.

Many of the LW jackets on ebay look like new because they haven't been worn. Folks buy them, try them, sell em. I do, actually there is a fairly lively market on ebay. I bought a beautiful black HH trucker style with moutan collar sized 46. I wear a 44 and this was just too 46. It was advertised here and sold on ebay where it has reappeared looking unworn. I objected to the heavy hide on that one, it really disappointed me, just not the hide for that jacket. Even if it had been a 44 it would have felt too thick. No mistaking he likes the heavy HH, but they all aren't like that. All I have owned have been quite different. The Roadster is very light and it is a 46.

I have a pretty much unworn LW cafe racer hanging on the rack, again my wanting to try something on. Too big. It is a very interesting hide,

My one and only keeper Cafe racer is an early two piece back Brooks. It was given to me in a deal I did here. The other two move on,but the Brooks remained. It is paper thin in comparison. I doubt you could get anyone to make one so light today. Incredible jacket as a gift.

Probably more interesting to post some pics with permission of the original poster.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats to the OP -- jackets look great.

Interesting discussion of stitching. The discussions of quality are frequently very amorphous and subjective, without reference to certain objective criteria and indicia of superior workmanship.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Congrats to the OP -- jackets look great.

Interesting discussion of stitching. The discussions of quality are frequently very amorphous and subjective, without reference to certain objective criteria and indicia of superior workmanship.

Very well put. I know Goodyear even says they don't go for laser straight. IMO most of the jackets on here are of excellent quality and I think most of what we decide between is style/fit/hide/customer service details between each company.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I just acquired a "new" used LW "A-1" styled jacket via Worf via Lando. Both stand up fellas might I add.
I bought two LW prior, one for my son, one "flipper".
My son has taken 4 years to get it somewhat tamed. Compared to his Aero B-3, a lesser beast.

My new LW is every bit perfection and beast as I've owned.
It will takes years to break. But in spots it's already looking fab. Arms got good creases in my trip to Montana last week.
The best analogy I've read here is paint v stain. I have both types and I love having different looks for different occasions.

I might even say the perfection beats GW - no insult. It's like who's hotter - Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johansson. (Just examples so let's not debate broads).
My Aero 50's HBD was previously the toughest hide I owned. This rivals it.

It's all about taste, preference and needs. But I am thrilled with this new LW. Fits as well as any custom I've owned.
Perfect jacket in every way.

Pics?

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
My son lives in NYC. Does LW have a storefront? Might be time for a visit.

Best bet might be a trip to UnionGarageNYC in Red Hook, Brooklyn - motorcycle gear & apparel store, look them up online. Probably the only store that sells LW this side of Japan. That too they usually only stock the Easy-Ryder cafe jacket, so perhaps call before heading there. I special ordered my Buco-Rider through them and am very happy with it. They can also order other LW models for you - I was discussing a Suburban through them before deciding on the Buco-Rider; or make custom options - I know guys that have Ryder jackets through UGNYC that they got made minus belt cinches, different pockets, etc.

Last edited:

Chigger

New in Town
I know I'm late to the conversation here folks, but I am in the process of searching the site for information. I have an Easy Rider from LW, and I love it. I bough it because I couldn't take it off at Union Garage in Brooklyn.

What I am searching for, in comparisons between the Easy Rider and Suburban in the cut and fit. I am a MC rider, and I'm always looking for fit, function and comfort. I'd like a bit more room for layers, without being too big.

Thanks folks and thanks for all the information.

Anyone able to compare a highwayman and ryder?
Be more appropriate to compare the Ryder with a 50’s HB. The Ryder is a traditional Halfbelt and the HWM isn’t set up the same way. The belt is much lower (frankly useless) at the waist. Two different styles and very different fits. Unless of course that’s what you are looking to compare. But the fits are wildly different. I prefer the belt higher than what the HWM provides. The low set belt creates a balloon of leather if pulled in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR