Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jacket - vents under armpits useful?

Montecristo

New in Town
Guys,
what do you think of vents / little holes under the armpits with an Aero jacket? Should I order it? Does one need it? Has it any real effect as opposed to just a normal sleeve without the little holes? I have seen it as an option with some jacket but are not sure if I should go for it.
Thanks in advance

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
On flight jackets like the A-2 and G-1, they are indeed useful: they make moving your arms easier, because there's no resistance from air trapped inside the jacket. The air flows in and out as needed whenever you change position.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They work on a bellows principle, so yeah, I've always found them pretty effective. They're really useful on my ANJ-4 - the combination of rayon-lined gussets and vents stops severe overheating.

They work on a bellows principle, so yeah, I've always found them pretty effective. They're really useful on my ANJ-4 - the combination of rayon-lined gussets and vents stops severe overheating.

This. They're very effective on a bike. So much that I'm not entirely sure I'd want them on a winter riding jacket.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure why you would omit them. You cant notice them while wearing them (not that they look bad) and they obviously serve a function or they would have been removed from the design years ago.

If it aint broke, don't "fix" it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just checked. All of my Aero jackets (Teamster, Mulligan, Maxwell, and two Sheenes) as well as my GW/Himel Ventura, G&B Model 43 A-2, and Cooper G-1 have them. I see no reason why not, and I can't help from wondering if the OP might be overthinking the situation.

I don't think I've ever owned a leather jacket without them. Some vintage jackets had them without the grommet. Just a tight stitched hole. And what Sloan said. They won't let cold air in...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the main reasons for the vents, which is to give air inside the sleeve somewhere to go when you move your arms. Without the holes, it can only exit out of the cuff or force air down through the bottom of the jacket, which means either more air movement, or if air is trapped, moments when the jacket is inflated with air, making it seem stiffer, and harder to flex the arms.

daw

Familiar Face
Very interesting. Never really thought about little ventilation holes before-makes sense, though, when you think about it.

Dennis

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the main reasons for the vents, which is to give air inside the sleeve somewhere to go when you move your arms. Without the holes, it can only exit out of the cuff or force air down through the bottom of the jacket, which means either more air movement, or if air is trapped, moments when the jacket is inflated with air, making it seem stiffer, and harder to flex the arms.

Yo Guppy - I said this in post #2!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep but @Guppy expounded on the trapped air issue beyond what @Doctor Strange said earlier. :D Although I never gave much thought to the ventilation holes before now, I find this topic interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy