Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jackets - sleeve lining cotton AND sateen?

Montecristo

New in Town
Hi,
as written I am about to order a Plainsman or similar. Up till now I was planning to have the sleeves lined with sateen only. Now I learned from the forum that it might not be too durable directly on the leather. My concern is, that if I go with both linings, the sleeves will become bulky and uncomfortable to move. I am looking for a narrow cut jacket, so not much room in the sleeves. Any experience on this?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I used to have a Chromexcel jacket with tight sleeves and both sateen and cotton drill. I found it totally uncomfortable and way too hot. I would go for just the cotton drill. It easy to slip on the jacket and way more durable than the sateen. Both my current jackets have just the cotton drill.

Dav

One Too Many
I have an Aero with both, I can't say I find it overly stiff in the arms. Having said that, it is a heavy steer Cheyenne so not a tight fitting coat anyway. The thing I don't like is the sateen tends to slide over the cotton and stick out at the bottom of the sleeve, so for that reason it doesn't get worn very often. I will send it to Aero one day to get it removed. It is very nice to slip on though, I must admit.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Aero jackets all have cotton drill body and sleeve lining with the exception of my Teamster that has moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeve lining. My advice: Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Edward

Bartender
Always ask Aero's advice on everything.

Me, I wouldn't go with both - seems overkill. I'm not a fan of steen linings as a rule where I have theo ption of cotton drill instead. I find if it gets warm, sateen feels icky and makes a jacket feel 'too much' an awful lot faster. That said, I've never had a problem with regular cotton like some folks report (it being grabby on a shirt and such) as the reason they went for it in sleeves.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I currently have 5 leather jackets, 2 schotts and 3 aeros. All of them have cotton lined sleeves and I never had any problem with them or felt uncomfortable. Go for cotton lining unless you want something warmer such as cord.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what Aero offer for sleeve linings. Back in the days of "Mr say yes to everything Lauder" double layer / over lay lining were an option, these have not been available for 4 years as they are not a good idea. Firstly the 2 layers tent to slide over one another and can twist. The extra layer along with a long sleeve shirt or sweater can be very uncomfortable. The Satin ( not to be confused with cotton Sateen) was a man made fibre that doesn't breath the same as cotton and was not particularly durable.
Aero's cotton sateen in a light weight tightly woven cotton with a polished finish giving it the effect of Satin but with the breathability of Cotton and also much more durable. It is available as an option (on it's own, no double layers) for people who want a lighter weight, 'silkier' option than our slightly heavier more durable cotton drill. Both are great options but we still prefer cotton drill as an option especially in heavier Chromexcel jackets, our cotton sateen we feel is more suited to our Vicenza or mid weight hides.
Hope this helps make it clearer the options available.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Excellent, thank you Hide & Seek for clearing this up!

Sitting at my desk with my J106 here, I looked again at the still very new black cotton drill sleeve lining in it, and I have to agree, it's excellent especially with the FQHH that this jacket is made of. Everything is still very early in the break-in stages, however all my other jackets have this sleeve lining and no issues at all.

Edward

Bartender
There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what Aero offer for sleeve linings. Back in the days of "Mr say yes to everything Lauder" double layer / over lay lining were an option, these have not been available for 4 years as they are not a good idea. Firstly the 2 layers tent to slide over one another and can twist. The extra layer along with a long sleeve shirt or sweater can be very uncomfortable. The Satin ( not to be confused with cotton Sateen) was a man made fibre that doesn't breath the same as cotton and was not particularly durable.
Aero's cotton sateen in a light weight tightly woven cotton with a polished finish giving it the effect of Satin but with the breathability of Cotton and also much more durable. It is available as an option (on it's own, no double layers) for people who want a lighter weight, 'silkier' option than our slightly heavier more durable cotton drill. Both are great options but we still prefer cotton drill as an option especially in heavier Chromexcel jackets, our cotton sateen we feel is more suited to our Vicenza or mid weight hides.
Hope this helps make it clearer the options available.

Useful clarification: I realise I have somewhat confused the Cotton Sateen and man-made satin liners above.

FWIW to the general discussion, my Bootlegger - my first Aero leather - bought new under Lauder management in 2010 came with moleskin in the sleeves. I don't plan to change it yet, but it definitely means it can't be worn in weather as warm as cotton drill in the sleeve would permit.

My next few planned Aeros will all be cotton drill. If the J106 could be made with pockets for CE armour in the shoulders / elbow / back, it would be as near a perfect bike jacket as I can imagine. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think Montecristo fell foul of the Lounge's long-life. Over the years, different options and opinions have come and gone, and I suspect that the double layer was a belt-n-braces piece of over engineering took sway 'just cause people could do it'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany