Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favourite lining? Post pictures!

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, guys!

I searched the forum after a topic about linings but couldn't find... I was wondering what is your opinion on linings! I see some discussion on brand threads and on others like "how many jackets you have incoming" or "what you wearing today", but couldn't find a truly dedicated topic. I suppose it is odd, once I find linings to be a cool part of the jacket and something is wide open for customisation and creativity. A form to express oneself in a more subtle way, one might say.

So, what is your opinion on linings? Don't really mind or find it a nice charming part? When you go custom on the jacket, do you go with standard on the lining? Or is it an important part of the project to you? Do you consider providing your own fabric?
What material is your favourite? Tough cotton drill? Smooth sateen? Warm wool? Even warmer quilted rayon? Soft Moleskin?
What about colours, prints? Classic plain colour? Flashy shiny golden colour? Camo pattern? Plaid tartan? Painted silk?

I'm very curious to see what you guys have! Show me your linings!!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Practicality for me is 100% nylon. Durability, I love corduroy and for comfort and warmth is rayon-wool fabric. (if you can find it)

The samples below are from 70% rayon and 30% wool. Fabrics from the 50s are at the top of my list. I was lucky enough to get a good roll of the Korean War NOS blue.

00-90-0791-2.jpg

70 30 wool.jpg

Last edited:
My favorites to wear are slippery… Black silk like in my Kehoe, but the lining is fragile…
Heavy cotton/rayon is also awesome and durable. This jacket is 47 years old.
AC08998B-B5A1-476C-8E0C-D1CDAA1B1A46.jpeg

My favorite looking is this non-grabby olive wool with brown rayon sleeves.
B2D64714-7B7B-4C4E-9B71-FF5DCC855CBC.jpeg

If I ever get another custom, I’ll go with something crazy.
EC693383-8FFD-4C61-882F-D33784400FE6.jpeg
I don’t like the fuzzy wool liners too much.
I remember a posted jacket that a member made himself- it had a fantastic lining, ships and sailor’s tattoos. That one was a stunner.

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
Good topic idea. I feel that quality liners are often overlooked for the more exciting jacket exterior, yet it can have a huge impact on one's use and enjoyment of the jacket. I will say I'm partial to slippery liners for ease of putting on or taking off the jacket.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Practicality for me is 100% nylon. Durability, I love corduroy and for comfort and warmth is rayon-wool fabric. (if you can find it)

The samples below are from 70% rayon and 30% wool. Fabrics from the 50s are at the top of my list. I was lucky enough to get a good roll of the Korean War NOS blue.
I've never seen a rayon/wool blend! Must be nice.
My favorites to wear are slippery… Black silk like in my Kehoe, but the lining is fragile…
Heavy cotton/rayon is also awesome and durable. This jacket is 47 years old.

My favorite looking is this non-grabby olive wool with brown rayon sleeves.

If I ever get another custom, I’ll go with something crazy. I don’t like the fuzzy wool liners too much.
I remember a posted jacket that a member made himself- it had a fantastic lining, ships and sailor’s tattoos. That one was a stunner.
I wondered why there isn't that many people that go crazy on the lining here as some guys do on suit jackets (think those football players' dollar bill printed linings). I think one of the reasons must be the silk durability... And maybe heat insulation as well, as the point of a leather jacket lining is different of a suit one.

Yeah, I agree with going a little crazy on the lining for a custom. I think it was @JMax who made a Regius jacket with a sashiko printed one, that came out particularly nice.

Good topic idea. I feel that quality liners are often overlooked for the more exciting jacket exterior, yet it can have a huge impact on one's use and enjoyment of the jacket. I will say I'm partial to slippery liners for ease of putting on or taking off the jacket.
I think so too! I mean, one could go with a very sober, classical shell and give some spice to the jacket by going with a colourful lining. One example that I quite liked is @Brandrea33 new Goodwear Hércules with the shiny golden lining. I'd like to see better pictures of that, TBH (I think that shows how personal a lining could be, even when showing the jacket you might not get a full idea of it). Another one that got my attention is a jacket on Field Leathers Instagram page with what seems like a pink sleeve lining haha Not that I'd use something like that, but seemed like a cool detail.

1. heavy cotton drill
2. moleskin
3. the rest.
I have no experience with corduroy.
I know you have a pretty nice collection there! Moleskin must be nice... I only have it on my pockets and always makes me wonder... How warm is it? I quite like your hounds tooth Lewis. I was considering something like that myself. I think this is heavier weight than Aero's Lochcarron, isn't it?

mvilla

A-List Customer
Moleskin on my former freewheelers was great. I think I also favor light and slippery most days.
I want to try these Japanese moleskin one day... They're always pretty high regarded. About weight, that is something I've been debating lately... I don't know if I'd rather have a heavier weight lining and go with only a tee underneath or if I'd go with a lighter weight and layer more or less based on the weather... Good thing about lighter weight is that you can go with exactly the look you want to, but then it'd be a good idea to go with a slightly bigger jacket to accommodate layers. A heavier weight one, on the other hand, will limit the type of weather you can wear the jacket, but you'd be able to get a trimmer one, I suppose...

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Cotton drill all day for me. I really don't want anything warmer than that as it limits the temperature range that I can use the jacket in. With cotton drill I can layer up underneath when it's cold, or just with a t-shirt when it's warmer.
Wool linings don't make that big a difference for cold weather, you still have to layer for winter. However, they make a big difference when it's warmer. I can wear my cotton drill lined jackets with just a t-shirt when it's between 15-20 Celsius but not my wool lined jackets.

Shearling or heavily filled quilt or nothing at all. Thin linings like rayon, cotton, etc. don't do nothing for the jacket warmth-wise while limiting its use during warmer weather and I want my jackets to do the job I paid them to do which is to keep me warm.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I've never seen a rayon/wool blend! Must be nice.

I wondered why there isn't that many people that go crazy on the lining here as some guys do on suit jackets (think those football players' dollar bill printed linings). I think one of the reasons must be the silk durability... And maybe heat insulation as well, as the point of a leather jacket lining is different of a suit one.

Yeah, I agree with going a little crazy on the lining for a custom. I think it was @JMax who made a Regius jacket with a sashiko printed one, that came out particularly nice.

I think so too! I mean, one could go with a very sober, classical shell and give some spice to the jacket by going with a colourful lining. One example that I quite liked is @Brandrea33 new Goodwear Hércules with the shiny golden lining. I'd like to see better pictures of that, TBH (I think that shows how personal a lining could be, even when showing the jacket you might not get a full idea of it). Another one that got my attention is a jacket on Field Leathers Instagram page with what seems like a pink sleeve lining haha Not that I'd use something like that, but seemed like a cool detail.

I know you have a pretty nice collection there! Moleskin must be nice... I only have it on my pockets and always makes me wonder... How warm is it? I quite like your hounds tooth Lewis. I was considering something like that myself. I think this is heavier weight than Aero's Lochcarron, isn't it?
I’ll try to post some better pictures of it today.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Here are some images of two Aero jackets I have with the quilted rayon lining. The first is of a black HH 1/2 w/brick colored quilted lining. I obtained this jacket about 20 years ago - rarely worn so that may be why the lining is in pristine condition. The 2nd set of images are of a LHB I got back in 2016. Cordovan CXL steer w/quilted lining. The lining on that coat is far more delicate than the first one. The lining is fraying along the bottom sweep and around the inside of the cuffs and around the center neck area. That wear may be due to the hanger used. Even though the lining looks a bit ratty(no images), the hides are spectacular so I just live with it.
HB-1.jpg
HB-6.jpg
LHB-6.jpg
LHB-8.jpg
I find the quilted lining makes for easy on/off.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Cotton drill all day for me. I really don't want anything warmer than that as it limits the temperature range that I can use the jacket in. With cotton drill I can layer up underneath when it's cold, or just with a t-shirt when it's warmer.
Wool linings don't make that big a difference for cold weather, you still have to layer for winter. However, they make a big difference when it's warmer. I can wear my cotton drill lined jackets with just a t-shirt when it's between 15-20 Celsius but not my wool lined jackets.
Shearling or heavily filled quilt or nothing at all. Thin linings like rayon, cotton, etc. don't do nothing for the jacket warmth-wise while limiting its use during warmer weather and I want my jackets to do the job I paid them to do which is to keep me warm.
These two comments sound like a progression towards the same goal haha I'm curious to test how wearing an unlined jacket for a day feels like... Doesn't it get somewhat rough? I tend to sympathise with the "jacket for cold" feeling, but most of the year we have temperatures in-between, I feel... And I tend to like the "t-shirt" fit better... I don't know, the more I layer up, the more restricted I feel. Anyway, I guess that is another useful reason to justify to the missus buying a new jacket; "this one doesn't work for the temperature we're feeling right now" lol

I’ll try to post some better pictures of it today.
Cool! That one really looked especial!

The lining is what really set this Pioneer wear jacket off and made me want it
That one is pretty cool! I saw this exact model listed somewhere and was considering pretty hard getting it, but the lining was pretty worn out, so I let it pass... But it looks pretty cool.
I forgot about Pioneerwear…
This is an awesome one! Really dig it

Here are some images of two Aero jackets I have with the quilted rayon lining. The first is of a black HH 1/2 w/brick colored quilted lining. I obtained this jacket about 20 years ago - rarely worn so that may be why the lining is in pristine condition. The 2nd set of images are of a LHB I got back in 2016. Cordovan CXL steer w/quilted lining. The lining on that coat is far more delicate than the first one. The lining is fraying along the bottom sweep and around the inside of the cuffs and around the center neck area. That wear may be due to the hanger used. Even though the lining looks a bit ratty(no images), the hides are spectacular so I just live with it. I find the quilted lining makes for easy on/off.
They really are pretty easy to wear... I feel they are quite warm, though... Feels comfy and warm like a duvet haha
That first one is looking like it just came out of the factory! And by the tag alone it must be nearing it's 30's birthday. Pretty cool!

Edward

Bartender
I like a nice looking lining, but I wouldn't go wool again on a leather, I think - too susceptible to mothing. For me it has be to be durable and not need cleaned al the time, so we're talking drill cotton in a dark colour, or something quilted if It's a Winter affair. Military repop, whatever was standard to the original - I don't see much point in spending the big bucks on a military repro and then changing bits of the psec. IMO, it's the 'correct' details you pay for with the likes of a good A2 repro. I'd love it if a lining was available that looked like the Lochcarron tartans, but was spun out of cotton instead of wool. The only jackets I can see going for wool in in future would be a blanket lining in a Barnstormer type, or shearlings, obviously. The default choice for me now in a civilian jacket is a drill cotton in a sympathetic colour to the leather.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I too like the military nylons (the thicker one they used for the shell, but to be used for lining). If I could, I would swap every one of my lining to that stuff plus the wool/apaca batting in the middle. Unfortunately no brand I know does this.

The original military nylon jackets with wool/apaca backing was meant for 20s to 50s F, perfect for my climate.

The next best thing for me would be the quilted liner with actual wool backing. The Scottish brands have these. They have them in rayon face like the one above, and the navy blue sateen cotton facing:
IMG_0450.JPG

I also like them moleskin, there are two weights. It feels nice on the skin when wearing a short sleeve shirt. Does get a little more grabby with long sleeve but tolerable. The fancy FW had the sleeves lined in the brushed cotton and that's where I got the idea from.

For warm days, nothing beats cotton. Poplin type is the best imo, doesn't get sticky with sweat. The Americans brands have the ripstop ones. Just regular poplin with ripstop lacing so it would in theory last longer while still thin and lightweight, the linen/hemp like texture will prevent the sticky skin situations.

Type 3 Slim Medium Deer 0002.JPG

Military nylon is still the best imo. The LW one is closest but still not quite the same as the one used on my flight jackets:
Lost Worlds J24 Measurements 015 New.jpg

Flight jacket nylon is King
IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I've been wondering about moleskin lining ever since I joined TFL. I've been convinced by most of the things I have read here that heavy cotton drill is basically the way to go in terms of longevity and temperature flexibility. But there's something about moleskin that attracts me and I would like to try it in the body (still something slippery in the sleeves). Haven't had the ballz to order anything with moleskin lining yet because I'm afraid it might be too warm. From -13 to 80 Fahrenheit temperature range where I live throughout the year.
I guess I'm still treating all my current and future jackets as the only jacket rather than getting different ones for different temperatures and different layering, which might be a wiser way to think about leather jackets..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner