Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jackets Weak/Fragile Zippers

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
The weak, fragile zippers on at least 2 of my Aero horsehide jackets are now broken and one of them has hardly ever been worn yet. If you have never seen one of these zippers it might surprise you to see a zipper of the type you might find on a cheap nylon windbreaker. I am not an expert on zippers but this has got to be one of the smallest "guage" zippers available on the market today.

Aero hides the pin side of the zipper inside a small groove or channel so that when you attempt to slide the box of the zipper onto the pin side you have to get it exactly into place by feel otherwise it gets cocked and over time the tiny fragile pin side and tape soon gets bent and crooked until finally it is destroyed. It is almost impossible to get the box onto the pin without looking and if the jacket fits properly it can be very difficult to look down and see it and when you try to fold it up to see it better of course the zipper sides are totally out of line and again impossible to connect them. I believe Aero does this to provide a better method for locating the box to the pin but in my opinion it is a huge design failure.

I am wondering such a "high quality" and expensive jacket Aero uses such cheap zippers? I would expect a good hefty, strong zipper (you would never find of these cheap zippers on a Langlitz or a Vanson for example) on a $1200 size 52 motorcycle style horsehide jacket and it should be very easy to zip up or down in the matter of 1/2 second instead of futzing around for 3-5 minutes everytime you want to zip it up.

Thankfully I have a local "leather lady" who knows her stuff and can put this right - of course at my expense.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Did you bother actually talking to Aero before coming a posting here first? Bad form to just post here about any maker you have a beef with before speaking to them first.
To answer your point, hefty, large zippers are a late-60s feature, smaller gauge are period accurate up until then. Out of my six, seven Aeros, all but one with the same type of Talons, none of them have ever broken on me.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I got seven Aeros, had the zipper replaced on my oldest a couple of years back.
No problems.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Shhhhh, Big J, let us not speak of him. Actually, it occurred to me that the zip on my new A-2 is an original Conmar, which is even smaller than the average Talon. Works like a charm, btw:
IMG_0389.JPG

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I had a repro Talon zipper on another make of jacket, it was pretty wonky and got stuck. Blasphemy for some but I prefer a decent YKK.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I had a repro Talon zipper on another make of jacket, it was pretty wonky and got stuck. Blasphemy for some but I prefer a decent YKK.

I know what you mean. #10 YKK all the way. It might not be the prettiest one on the block, but it's reliable. The Conmar's the best looking zip I think.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The small, fussy zippers on Aero's is why I've gone to buttons on my last 2 jackets, one bought on sale.. the other custom built. No zippers... no problems! I and others have complained about them but none of mine has ever broken... knock wood!

Worf

zebedee

One Too Many
I've only had one major issue with a talon zip on one of my three zipped aeros. It was on a long half belt and it was a nightmare to locate when trying to zip it up. It popped out, burst the track on one occasion (leaving me with the conundrum of how to either get it over my head or [with careful angling] force it down the track till I could get the jacket off) and generally had me irked. It works ok now, but that's largely because the leather has softened up, I think. The trick is perseverance. The zippers are period accurate, but fqhh is very heavy stuff- quite possibly heavier that that used in work coats of the time. If the poster emails Aero, they can advise- I was offered a replacement zip, but found that the problem resolved itself as the 'curve' of the lowest part of the jacket became more malleable.

Happy to say that I've never had a single zipper issue on any of my Aero jackets, and I've been through at least five. But I have seen one that got stuck. Antique brass Talon on a HWM that belongs to my friend. Had to be professionally fixed. Regarding Vanson, at some point they were using zippers with plastic parts (had it on my Model A) and if I am to be asked, that is a lot worse than a fussy zipper...

Coincidently the talon diamond pull on my premier half belt came off today :(

Aero doesn't like to use Talon diamond pulls and will always advise against them as they're really fragile. Chain pulls they use aren't much better, but the ball and chain ones are fantastic. I think those are YKK?

I agree with Nick, though. #10 YKK 4 all the way!

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have had probably around 15-20 Aeros over the years, have only 2 left, a Highwayman and a Stuart (been giving away stuff lately, 7 Aeros over the last 2 years, I have too much, and like really the older things these days, unless I see something special).

Well, Stuart is obvious as was the Barnstormer (the buttons were tight at the beginning...), but I have never had problems with zippers. Yes, to zip the HWM I need to pay attention a bit, there's a part where the leather is on many layers and the zipper may feel a bit stuck. But none have ever broken.

tonypaj, I most certainly won't say no to a fine leather jacket, if you plan on giving away some more. lol

Dracorex

Familiar Face
I recently purchased an Aero jacket that I had to return for various reasons, one being the zipper. It was the worst zipper I've ever had on any jacket! I could not get the zipper started much less zipped up! I was afraid I was going to damage the zipper and jacket so after many tries I just gave up! I agree with nick123, give me a #10 YKK any day. They're flawless!

IXL

One Too Many
...... Regarding Vanson, at some point they were using zippers with plastic parts (had it on my Model A) and if I am to be asked, that is a lot worse than a fussy zipper...

That's not plastic, it's super high-tech space-age polymer. You know, like Glock handguns. Seriously, I've never had a problem with them doing this, as only the barb and the box are made from plas....polymer, and the zipper itself is quite heavy duty. And,.....it will not scratch a motorcycle's gas tank.

pak

One of the Regulars
I agree about the heavier zips. Most of my outer work wear has #10YKK on coats, jackets and bib overalls. They have been bulletproof. I have some too, with the polymer zips and they also have been flawless. My JL café jacket has a #10ykk. Smooth and easy to work. Off topic but I prefer the snap ring snaps over the historic ball snaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael