Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Jackets - you get what you pay for...

Doublegun

Practically Family
I was told this would happen before I ordered my LHB but I really did not believe it. The Claymore Shop in Birmingham Michigan is about as up-scale as you will find in the Midwest. Suits made from scratch, beautiful materials, lots of texture, shoes from Alden, a fair amount of Polo and RL, ... all of the good stuff. I walked in there Friday wearing my Aero LHB and was set-upon by the sales staff. They could not believe the quality of the jacket, the weight of the FQHH and the vintage look of the coat. Then they wanted to know who made it, where I got it and how much it cost. They were all floored. One of the gentlemen told me that the same coat from Polo would be over $2,500 (if Polo could actually make a coat like that).

This is the third time I have been stopped in a clothing store and ask about the jacket and the third time I have suggested they contract Amanda or Will directly. People on this board told me that this would happen but I really did not believe it. If you are ordeing a coat from Aero, better get ready.

The more I wear my jacket, the more I like it. It has become my favorite garment.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I have one FQHH jacket from Aero, a Barnstormer. I also have an A2, and although the quality is incredible, it's a bit too small for me (it's listed for sale in the classifieds, hint hint.) I like the seal HH so much I ordered a halfbelt in seal HH, it should be here soon. I am also considering ordering another FQHH jacket next year, a highwayman. I agree, Aero just has outstanding quality and craftsmanship. I have owned several leather jackets from other companies, but nothing beats Aero.

Very similar circumstances over the years for me as well. Aero's FQHH also gains a certain rugged charactor as it breaks in which seems to add to the compliments. It only gets better,Doublegun!
HD

Doublegun

Practically Family
Upon the advice of many members of this board I ordered mine directly through Aero Scotland. Nothing wrong with dealing with Mark - it was just suggested that since this was my first Aero and there would be back and forth questions I work directly with Amanda.

The jackets are the same - they come from the same hides and are made by the same craftsmen. My advice - scratch your itch.

Now that the weather has changed I have worn my LHB almost every day. It is starting to break-in and get a little character. My wife keeps asking me if I am every going to wear any of my other coats. It's a fair question: I can wear my LHB with jeans and work boots, khakis and loafers or dress pants and cap-toed dress shoes. It is extremely practical. I am seriously considedring ordering a "Byrd" style jacket next year.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I recently ordered my second Aero from Mark Moye @ Aero Leather USA. He's always been great to work with. No problems whatsoever, and very accomodating.

I ordered my first Aero direct from Scotland, before I knew about Mark. I had no problems, and Amanda is great to work with, but I've found that I have actually gotten faster responses from Mark, due to the fact that we're on the same time zone.

Another pretty big bonus is that he pays the freight and any duties. Aero charges 50 GBP for shipping, which is about 81 USD at today's exchange rate, PLUS you may or may not get dinged for customs charges, which can be an additional 70 bucks plus or minus depending on what you order. That means a solid 15-20% savings overall by ordering from Mark. Maybe more, depending on what you order.

So, I'm sure you'll have an excellent experience dealing directly with Aero, but if you want to save some pretty significant money on shipping and customs, I'd call or e-mail Mark and tell him what you'd like to get. I don't get much satisfaction out of paying extra for shipping and customs.

My biggest fear is finding out someday that Aero will be bought out by some big corporate clothing juggernaut, who will promptly destroy them.

Bassman

A-List Customer
Many thanks to you too, DJS Press.
I was wondering if there is any difference at all in the products between the two distributers. Are they all maunufactured in Scotland and shipped here? Are the U.S. garments made here?

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I'm with DJS Press. Although some people here theorize that it takes longer for a jacket when you order through Mark, I'm not sure that has been proven.

I'd add that you may also save more money if you participate in the MSN or Bing! cash back program through eBay. You cannot do that if you order through Aero direct. Last November I bought my first Aero when the MSN cash back was 30%, so I paid $625 - 30% = $437 shipped. That's hard to beat.

I'm hoping Bing! has another increase in the cash back offer to 30% for the holiday season again this year so I can order another Aero. :)

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Bassman said:
I was wondering if there is any difference at all in the products between the two distributers. Are they all maunufactured in Scotland and shipped here? Are the U.S. garments made here?

ALL Aero jackets are made at the factory in Scotland, using the same materials and quality of workmanship. Mark Moye is simply their sales outlet for the US market. You give up nothing in the product by ordering from him.

Nizdar

New in Town
Bassman said:

Same exact product made by the same exact people in the same exact place. Mark used to just be a USA rep for Aero. Now he is his own entity, but he essentially acts as a middleman. You order from him, he talks with the factory, they ship to him, he ships to you.

The choice is about customer service (do you want something very very custom?) and about shipping/customs/exchange rate. Also, ordering from the factory may possibly be faster. We aren't totally sure.

Bassman

A-List Customer
Ace Rimmer said:
I'd add that you may also save more money if you participate in the MSN or Bing! cash back program through eBay. You cannot do that if you order through Aero direct. Last November I bought my first Aero when the MSN cash back was 30%, so I paid $625 - 30% = $437 shipped. That's hard to beat.

I'm hoping Bing! has another increase in the cash back offer to 30% for the holiday season again this year so I can order another Aero. :)

Now THAT sounds GREAT! I'll have to investigate that one (unless, of course you spell it out for me).
Thanks Ace and you too Nizdar!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I bought my Aero A-2 from Mark and couldn't have had a more pleasant transaction. He answered all my e-mails very fast. The prices are actually lower now than they were 3 years ago when I bought mine.

fedoralover

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Bassman said:
Now THAT sounds GREAT! I'll have to investigate that one (unless, of course you spell it out for me).
Thanks Ace and you too Nizdar!

Read this thread on FatWallet.com which has all the info you'd want (and more) on how to do the Bing! cashback discount. They keep track of the discounts in the thread. Currently it seems to vary from 8-10% but it was 30% last Thanksgiving!

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Doublegun said:
One of the gentlemen told me that the same coat from Polo would be over $2,500 (if Polo could actually make a coat like that).

My wife always gets annoyed when we're walking through a department store and I always feel the need to check out every "name brand" leather jacket on the rack... and trash it. There are so many high dollar Polo, Diesel, etc leather jackets out there that are $1000+, paper thin and made in China (I realize I'm preaching to the choir). But it makes you realize how good of a deal a $650 Aero or $800 Langlitz really is.

Tommer

Steve W.

New in Town
patches-inside or outside lining?

Hello, fellows. Now a new question has arisen. I asked Amanda at Aero abour patches. She replied that patches are sewn directly over the inner lining, so that stitches show. Gibson told me they apply pathches before lining goes on.

I'm really drawn to Aero. Does the stitching of the patches over the lining detract? Especially with several patches and a blood chit?
Steve W.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Steve,

I don't have any patches on my Aero, but I can tell you that during the war (WWII) patches were sewn through the lining. The stitches showed. (In fact, when pilots sewed pockets inside their jackets, stitches showed in the "outside" leather.)

Cheers,

Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner