Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero M422a sleeves

some_jerk

New in Town
Hello all,
I recently received an M422a from Aero. The fit is great, mostly -- I'm really skinny so the slim design is good for me. It fits well across the chest and shoulders, and the length is good. But I'm not sure about the sleeves. They feel too short to me, but I'm not sure whether that's because they are actually too short or if I'm just not used to the elastic cuffs, or maybe just used to longer sleeves.

I actually have this problem a lot with clothes. Because I'm a thin guy, if an off-the-rack shirt fits across the shoulders then usually the sleeves and body are too short, and the collar is too tight. But Aero adjust the length of the sleeves and body based on your height, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I have a picture linked, what do you think?

AFYoKF7.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Fit looks spot-on perfect! I wish my Aero M422a would arrive:cry:
I ordered mine 10 months ago. When did you order yours?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Looks fine. Although fit is so very subjective. Some, like me, prefer slightly longer arms so when I drive the sleeves don't ride up to my elbows ;)
Though with a bi-swing this would neutralize this somewhat... If it feels good and your question is a matter of 'does it look right', then, yes, looks good.

some_jerk

New in Town
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

If it feels good and your question is a matter of 'does it look right', then, yes, looks good.

I suppose my question is 'it feels odd, does it look right?', so it's nice to get an outside opinion.

I ordered mine 10 months ago. When did you order yours?

I ordered it early January, and it took about two months (I haven't worn it much until now -- hasn't really been leather jacket weather on this side of the globe). 10 months ago seems crazy! Maybe mine was quicker because I went through a dealer here in Australia?

some_jerk

New in Town
Pickings and Parry in Melbourne have been open for about a year I think. They're more agents I suppose. They have a few in stock, but will also take sizes and organise an order for you. And they offer some guarantees in case you're not happy with the final jacket. I thought they were great.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yes, 10 months is crazy, I agree. First the size 50 patterns were missing, then my order was back dated, then my order was forgotten, then we were waiting for the mouton, and last I heard, we are waiting for a goat hide big enough to make my jacket.

My last e-mail was two weeks ago, and I haven't had a reply yet.

If it wasn't for the fact that I know Aero was severely disrupted by bad employees last year, and the fact that my 5 other Aero jackets are awesome, I would give up on them. I sense an immense amount of confusion and stress at Aero when I communicate with them. But I believe that at that price point Aero is number one, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. After the trouble they've had, and out of gratitude for the excellent service I've had from Aero in the past, I still want to believe in them.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pickings and Parry in Melbourne have been open for about a year I think. They're more agents I suppose. They have a few in stock, but will also take sizes and organise an order for you. And they offer some guarantees in case you're not happy with the final jacket. I thought they were great.

Interesting. I wonder what they charge for an Aero. Not sure if the average Melbourne hipster will get behind the brand. Hopefully they will.

Edward

Bartender
Sleeves look to be the perfect length. IF you've not had a jacket with knits like this before - or if you've had one with storm-cuff innie knits like a Highwayman, I can understand why it might feel odd at first, but it looks fine.

GregO

One of the Regulars
I don't see anything wrong with that jacket -- well, except for its not me wearing it. It looks very good, and suits your frame really well.

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
would love to see some pictures of people with recent m-422as from Aero... it looks like they might have made some changes... noticeably the packet flap near the zipper seems to have a more rounded cut. Anyone have any idea if there have been other significant changes in the pattern?

xmr

One of the Regulars
Looks perfect, exactly like my A2. I think my sleeves are too short all the time but when I look in a mirror it looks perfect. I think I just notice the edge of the end of the leather on my arm which is higher up than the end of the knits.

Bucket

Familiar Face
For the traditional look and fit, the sleeves are perfect, however, if it were my jacket I'd feel more comfortable if they were a bit longer.

Edward

Bartender
would love to see some pictures of people with recent m-422as from Aero... it looks like they might have made some changes... noticeably the packet flap near the zipper seems to have a more rounded cut. Anyone have any idea if there have been other significant changes in the pattern?

Not heard anything about the USN jackets. I know Ken has made significant changes to at least some of the A2 patterns (though the photos haven't, to my knowledge, been updated on the website to reflect this), so it's entirely possible he's done the same with the USNs. I think they're still pitched online as generics of the design as distinct from specific contract repros (again, no idea whether the site is up to date on that), but they may have changed 'em up a bit so they more reflect a particular contract. [huh]

Stand By

One Too Many
Judging from your photo and comparing it to vintage originals, I'd say it's spot-on.
http://navypilotoverseas.wordpress.com/category/m-422a/

But it's how you feel at the end of the day. If that's all you notice each and every day and still find yourself wishing that the leather sections on the arms were longer (as the cuffs sit perfectly), then there's your answer - so it boils down to you just having a preference and that's fine.
But Aero cut the jacket perfectly true to original patterns and have made a fine looking jacket and it looks great to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany