Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero MQHH vs. FQHH

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HoosierDaddy said:
Can't seem to find a pic of the Aero "Levi"...but here's kind of a washed out shot of one of my "30s HalfBelts".....

Thanks. Somehow I thought it would be a longer jacket.

How do you suppose this would hang on someone with a...
wider body?

feltfan said:
Thanks. Somehow I thought it would be a longer jacket.

How do you suppose this would hang on someone with a...
wider body?

Aero also makes a '50s style long HalfBelt.
The shorter regular Aero Halbelt is a slim jacket...especially the '30s style..which is advertized as for an athletic build. Roomier in the shoulders tapering to a slim waist. Higher set trimmer sleeves with tab button style cuffs.
However..their '50s style Highwayman seems to suit most builds...being a boxier patterned jacket. Especially when made to measurements if a larger waist is called for. Where the regular short HalfBelt's pattern is to taper to a slim waist.
In fact..the Highwayman is the jacket that I wear the most..maybe because it is so easy to slip on...or simple because it was my first Aero utility jacket.
I do love the '30s HB for the slim stylish difference...but I do think that it doesn't compliment a larger waist as well.

100_0458.jpg

These short jackets are made to just cover the belt and buckle...however..since Aero's are custom made to measure...length can be added(used to be at no charge).
HD

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks again. That Highwayman is a stupendous jacket. Does it
have a halfbelt and pleats in the back?

Another issue brought up now and then is that the FQHH jackets
can be very stiff at first. Specifically, I don't like the look of the
"action" back, but I would like to be able to drive while I'm wearing
my jacket. Where do you stand on that issue?

And does that MQHH really look as nice?

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
Thanks again. That Highwayman is a stupendous jacket. Does it
have a halfbelt and pleats in the back?

Another issue brought up now and then is that the FQHH jackets
can be very stiff at first. Specifically, I don't like the look of the
"action" back, but I would like to be able to drive while I'm wearing
my jacket. Where do you stand on that issue?

And does that MQHH really look as nice?

My 2 cents...

The Highwayman does not have a belt or pleats in the back, although I've seen photos with the action back added, and with a one-piece back. I've never seen one with a half belt. I drive in my Highwayman all the time. No problems.

Aero FQHH jackets ARE stiff when you get them. So stiff that some people may hate them if they're used to lambskin mall jackets. I'd say after just a week or so of hard wear it will soften up considerably, especially if you can get it wet. IMO, the break-in process of a horsehide jacket is one of the pluses. You earn the coolness.

I don't know if you could tell a difference between medium and heavy FQHH at a glance. I'm sure that the medium weight would break-in faster, but I still would go with the heavy hide.

Here's a photo of the back of my Highwayman...

djshwymanback.jpg

I agree to a great degree with the above post.
However..in my experience with Aero's hvy FQHH...it has taken a bit longer than a week...or even a few months for the braking-in to really seriously begin for me...even tho using a process of spraying(soaking) with water and wearing till dry several times..as I have always done. This helps to shape and mold the jacket untill it finally begins to relax. The great thing is...afterwards there seems to be no other HH that marbles and grains up like Aero's FQHH. Their lighterweight HH will develope grain and creasing...but not to the extent of the Heavier FQHH. IMO..if you want the ultimate get the normal FQHH...if the marbled like appearance isn't so important...the mid-weight HH is still very nice.

Aero's Heavy FQHH after a few months....
100_0411.jpg

The normal non bi-swing back has not been a problem for me while driving a car...but with my motorcycle..a bi-swing back is a must.
Also..keep in mind..when you order Aero's hvy FQHH....your jacket might be heavier than others ordering the same thing. Different batches of hides can vary. My HighWayMan is very heavy HH.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy