Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero offers olive gabardine again

mexl916

New in Town
Hello everbody,

good news from Aero!

Holly emailed me that they are offering the olive gabardine again: "we do offer it but we're currently out of stock and still waiting for more from our supplier".

I'm indecisive about using olive gabardine in the sleeves. Is it easy to get in and out or is it some kind of sticky? Or would it be useful to add the rayon overlay over the olive gabardine in the sleeves?

Regards,
Mexl

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Rather than a different material or overlayering in the sleeves, why not just use whatever sleeve liner Aero recommend? I have a brown cotton material as standard in my sleeves and can't see the need for anything different.

More mods = more delays = more scope for problems :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I had the rayon over the gabardine in the sleeves and found it uncomfortable in warmer weather. Sweaty. Now I have the A-2 cotton lining in my other jacket and it's no problem at all to put it on. Just gabardine in the sleeves should be okay.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Gabardine lining is great if it is in stock at the time one's jacket is being made. One my Aero jackets has sleeves lined with gabardine, another with cotton drill, and an A-2 with lighter weight cotton. All work great, although I doubt that the A-2 light weight cotton will be as durable as the others. So, unless you have arms like Popeye the Sailor Man, I doubt that the choice of lining is really that critical. You are correct regarding rayon sleeve lining not "breathing" as we'll as cotton.

mattp

One of the Regulars
Gabardine is not sticky or grabby at all in my experience, and is my preferred option for the sleeve lining. Having said that I am sure cotton drill is just as good, just not quite as dense a fabric; I'm yet to hear of anyone wearing out the sleeve linings though.
I agree that double layering will cause more problems than it will solve, and I'd take cotton drill rather than rayon every time.
Cheers,
Matt

mattp

One of the Regulars
Gabardine is not sticky or grabby at all in my experience, and is my preferred option for the sleeve lining. Having said that I am sure cotton drill is just as good, just not quite as dense a fabric; I'm yet to hear of anyone wearing out the sleeve linings though.
I agree that double layering will cause more problems than it will solve, and I'd take cotton drill rather than rayon every time.
Cheers,
Matt

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Cotton drill is very sticky in my experience. I do have it in my CafeRacer tho, and its arms are kinda slim. I feel the garbadine in my Highwayman is a better sleeve lining.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi Mexl,

I've an M-422 hybrid with olive garbadine lining, also in the sleeves. Works very good! The fabric is much better than the cotton lining. Why driving an Opel, when can have an Audi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran