Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Shawl Barnstormer

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
The Aero Leather Japan gallery has a few shots of a Cheyenne with a sheepskin collar, which should give you a feel of what the Barnstormer would look like.

_IGP1206.JPG

_IGP0994.JPG

There are a couple more on the linked page, along with a few pictures of a standard Barnstormer.

The shawl collar is a different design, and the Cheyenne is single-breasted and unbelted.

If you haven't dealt with Aero before, then it's worth pointing out that they can combine features from various jackets. For example, you might be able to get the shawl collar fitted to another style and you could certainly get any of them lined with Shearling.

They also do an Arctic Parka, and I saw a one-off car coat (not listed on their site) that they did too.

Aero Leather JAPAN? Brings up frightening memories of Aero Leather USA.

Peacoat

Bartender
When I hear Barnstormers, I don't think war at all, but of fledgling civilian aviation in the 20's and 30's. Pilots going from town to town, mostly working by themselves doing stunt flying, or perhaps joining together several pilots and planes to form a flying circus. But that is neither here nor there. Where are the photos as the OP requested?

[Edit Note: When I posted, I only saw the first page and not the subsequent pages with discussions and the pictures. My post is now on the third page, and it is a bit dated. Sorry, I have been out of town this week and haven't kept up.]

Last edited:
When I hear Barnstormers, I don't think war at all, but of fledgling civilian aviation in the 20's and 30's. Pilots going from town to town, mostly working by themselves doing stunt flying, or perhaps joining together several pilots and planes to form a flying circus.
As well do I.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting point, Dinerman. However, the fact that civilian designs in the 20's and 30's looked nearly identical speaks nothing of the fashion from which the coat was inspired, which was being worn in the teens, rather than the 20's and 30's, and being worn in the military.

Do you see my point, Dinerman?

We can't put the pilot before the plane, so to speak.

The coat's evolution came from prior fashions, and those prior fashions were military, and much of them were worn in WWI

My understanding was that the civilian versions came first (unlike later in the twentieth century, when civilian fashions in leather jackets would come to be inspired by the military, especially the A2), and indeed for most of that very early era of air warfare most pilots wore predominantly civilan, rather than issue, gear in the air.

Dr...I'm more concerned about those who post photos of Aero's with pajama bottoms..to be perfectly honest. [huh]

Wasn't that more something they sported with Irvins, later on? ;)

Great pics. But why do we always look like we want to kill someone when we post pics in new jackets we love? lol

Speak for yourself, pal.

I always look like I already have killed someone. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda