Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero sleeves -- I can't sleep at night

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Fellow Aero jacket fans, I would appreciate your advice on the following. I have bitten the retro bullet and ordered a Stuart from Aero (http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21089948 - pics of my own when it arrives, I promise). My only modification, apart from length, has been to ask for the breast pocket to be removed, which I found a bit fussy, but now I am also having second thoughts about the sleeves.

Should I, I am thinking, have Highwayman/Halfbelt sleeves, instead, or would that compromise the Stuart's vintage look? I have had a few Aeros over the years, and all with stormcuffs, so a change would be nice, apart from anything else, but I worry the Stuart's sleeves are a little... prim, for want of a better word.

(Yes, I have already ordered it but, given Aero's backlog, I doubt they will have started on it yet.)

Aero afficionadi's contributions gratefully received.

Sir Jacket

tonypaj

Practically Family
Sir Jacket said:
Fellow Aero jacket fans, I would appreciate your advice on the following. I have bitten the retro bullet and ordered a Stuart from Aero (http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21089948 - pics of my own when it arrives, I promise). My only modification, apart from length, has been to ask for the breast pocket to be removed, which I found a bit fussy, but now I am also having second thoughts about the sleeves.

Should I, I am thinking, have Highwayman/Halfbelt sleeves, instead, or would that compromise the Stuart's vintage look? I have had a few Aeros over the years, and all with stormcuffs, so a change would be nice, apart from anything else, but I worry the Stuart's sleeves are a little... prim, for want of a better word.

(Yes, I have already ordered it but, given Aero's backlog, I doubt they will have started on it yet.)

Aero afficionadi's contributions gratefully received.

Sir Jacket

I took it a step to a different direction, and ordered (instead of the Hercules I had planned), a Bootlegger with buttons and no breast pocket, with the same sleeves as in the Stuart, and a bi-swing back. I have no doubts about the sleeves. I'm curious to see how the button version of the Bootlegger turns out, as Amanda said that they haven't made one before (though I think I got the original idea here), and she was a bit hesitant at the beginning.

The sleeves are not prim to me, I wanted different stuff from my LHB. The Stuart was also one of my first options, but we will see. Or I will. No pictures forthcoming, from me, anyway, this jacket will be my secret. :)

Oh, regardless, it's just a leather jacket. It will be worn, and mercilessly. Not primly...

Papa M

A-List Customer
I think that losing the breast pocket is a smart move. To me the button cuffs look fine, but I feel that storm cuffs will be equally pleasing.

Nizdar

New in Town
Papa M said:
I think that losing the breast pocket is a smart move. To me the button cuffs look fine, but I feel that storm cuffs will be equally pleasing.

I agree completely with this. Sleeves are fine either way. Pocket removal makes for a cleaner and more symmetrical look.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Sir Jacket,

I think the buttoned sleeve design (1930s design) would be appropriate for a jacket like the Stuart, but from practicality perspective I would rate it lower than the engineers sleeve design with hidden storm cuffs.

It depends on how you're going to wear the jacket, too. Something like the Stuart should be close fitting as such it wouldn't allow to pile layers underneath, so this is where the engineers sleeve design with hidden storm cuff comes handy (extra protection from cold draft, etc.)

An alternative is a sleeve design like that on the Californian (basically engineers sleeve + strap & D-rings). This can be done with or without the hidden storm cuff.

I have a Route 66 with engineers sleeve design (with hidden storm cuff) and I really like the look & the practicality of the design.
AeroRoute66_Front01.jpg

Blethook

Cooperson

One Too Many
That is a great looking, well broken in, LHB James. I have been looking for a longer jacket for the winter, to compliment my Highwayman, but wasn't sure about the trimmer 'waisted' look of the LHB. Yours looks perfect - is that because you don't cinch the sides in much? The cuffs are a nice addition too.

Cheers

roperdad

New in Town
I have the Cossack, which as you likely know, is a Stuart with a zipper and no breast pocket.

The button sleeves are a little snug, but I like them. With the weight and body of the leather, I wonder if the storm cuff sleeves don't 'swallow' your hands as you move? The button sleeves certainly help keep the sleeves above my wrists.

Jackets with storm cuffs tend to hang over my hands, which is a pet peeve. I hadn't considered it pre-order, but like the feature now:p Hope that helps!

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Guys, some very nice jackets and some considered advice. Only thing about the advice is that it is also opposing! I still can't decide what to do (and I had better hurry up) but I am leaning towards sticking with the button cuffs –*partly just to preserve the integrity of the jacket.

Sir J

tonypaj

Practically Family
Sir Jacket said:
Guys, some very nice jackets and some considered advice. Only thing about the advice is that it is also opposing! I still can't decide what to do (and I had better hurry up) but I am leaning towards sticking with the button cuffs –*partly just to preserve the integrity of the jacket.

Sir J

Eventually it's your jacket, you're going to have to wear it, integrity or not. The button cuffs and the cotton drill lining are the only things I'm 100% sure of for myself. The rest of my jacket has changed many times so far since ordering (from color to style to leather), and as long as Amanda does not confirm that it is being made, the chances are that it may change again.

Papa M

A-List Customer
I wonder if we all worry a little too much about the infinite detail.

Just go for it and if it turns out to be slightly wrong then save up some money and go for a new and different project.

I have a nice little stash of clothes and periodically I return to items that I had previously abandoned.

Tastes change over the years - and, crucially, tastes recycle!

lawstus

New in Town
Papa M said:
I wonder if we all worry a little too much about the infinite detail.

Just go for it and if it turns out to be slightly wrong then save up some money and go for a new and different project.

I have a nice little stash of clothes and periodically I return to items that I had previously abandoned.

Tastes change over the years - and, crucially, tastes recycle!

Papa.
Well put and I agree 100%. I go through the same questions, and I usually come back to "keep it simple and go back to what attracted you about the item in the first place". Can't go wrong with that. If after you received it and still feel like you want the change, save up for another. This way you have a good starting point. Small price to pay for peace of mind and something to look forward to. I just purchased a new Lost Worlds B3 based on what I thought I wanted. The jacket is AWESOME, but I am already looking at getting another with slight modifications. For what it's worth.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
jamespibworth@n said:
Here are a couple if pictures of button cuffs on my LHB if it helps.

I never button them up as it’s easier to put on and take off!

James.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but what kind of boots are you wearing in that picture, James? They look very sturdy.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
jimmer_5 said:
I don't mean to derail the thread, but what kind of boots are you wearing in that picture, James? They look very sturdy.

Still can't get myself to like the look of a tie with a leather jacket. Else the LHB is a true beauty and fits you very well, as are the boots. I'd too like to know who made them?

andy richards

Practically Family
The Stuart jacket is a very nice choice! I also like it very much. Have you made up your mind yet? What kind of cuffs do you like? I have a LHB on order which should be ready before Christmas:) and a Highwayman for modification waiting... For both jackets I opted for the american style cuffs.
Cheers,
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR