Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Tartan Lining Advice

nabottle

A-List Customer
I finally ordered an Aero 30s Half Belt and I did it through Thurston Bros. The wait will be much, much less. Anyway, I am going to use a tartan from Lochcarron and since they have Light, Medium, and Heavy, I was wondering which thickness would be appropriate for such a slim fitting jacket. I'm under the assumption that the Light Weight would be best. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this sort of thing.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I would go light weight, purely on your location, I have a heavy wool Black Watch in my Barnstormer which is fine for our climate, a moleskin in my Highwayman which is a bit better in the warmer weather and tweed in another that I usually only wear with a 'T'shirt again in the warmer temperatures.
J

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
The light weight is excellent, will enable you to wear the jacket for longer and although wool doesn't itch at all!

D

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thats good advice, Im about to go the same route, and wasnt sure how much impact the weight of the lining would actually have. Will be interested to learn of your Thurston Bros experiance. Im looking at their j106 for my motorbike, as they offer an aftermarket mouton collar that aero wont do. Cheers

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've just tholed a Scottish winter with the light weight tartan, so it'll be fine your needs - though given your location, you might want to keep in mind that it'll be slightly warmer than the cotton.

nabottle

A-List Customer
Excellent! Thank you all for the great input. I will definitely go with the Light Weight Tartan as it seems to be the wisest choice. I look forward to receiving my fitment jacket next week from Thurston Bros. and actually putting my order in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic