Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero 557XX Type 3 jacket

jr30

Familiar Face
Hi

Last summer I purchased the Aero 557XX Type 3 jacket from Thurston Bros. It is a model better known as a "denim jacket". It's made from Vicenza horsehide leather in Dark Seal (dark brown with a touch of a red undertone).

I didn't write a review at the time because the jacket was only worn for a short time. Since I took a few pictures yesterday, I wanted to briefly introduce the jacket to you.

Carrie from Thurston Bros accompanied me through the entire process. Since I had bought other Aero jackets from Thurston Bros in the past and had found a reference for the fit, I ordered this Type 3 jacket.

Typically, this jacket is worn short and close-fitting. Mine was very tight at first, but over the (few) weeks of wearing, it got a little wider so it became really comfortable for me. In general, this medium-strength horse leather is light and the "break in" time is reduced to an absolute minimum. I really like the arm length, the chest width and the cut. The weight is also really great, so it keeps warm in the mornings and evenings during the spring and summer months and doesn't feel bulky.

My jacket features olive green stitching, a troy blanket wool lining, nickel snaps, and cotton satin in the sleeves. I am very satisfied with the workmanship and comfort. I also think the jacket is cool and stylish. A timeless classic, in my opinion.

I really appreciate any feedback!

Best regards
Roman

Attachments

• IMG_7940.jpeg
    IMG_7940.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7952.jpeg
    IMG_7952.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7956.jpeg
    IMG_7956.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7971.jpeg
    IMG_7971.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_7975.jpeg
    IMG_7975.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Fit looks good. It'd be interesting to see earlier denim styles given the same treatment, like the Type 2.

Fun fact - when I interviewed Ken for the Chap back in 2018, he mentioned this style, saying that it had felt like a bit of an outlier in Aero's "Nothing After 1959" approach, until they discovered a Type 3 that dated to 1957. :)

Eagledog

New in Town
How do the chest pockets look on the inside? And how does the inner waist band look? I am ordering the women's soon. Is it better in the slightly longer length? I am thinking of getting mine that way. My try on jacket should arrive Monday. Can't wait to see it! Was considering the blanket or shearling for perhaps a 2nd jacket since I love this timeless style. Yours looks wonderful! Does the blanket itch? What is the fiber?
Thanks in advance for sharing.

jr30

Familiar Face
How do the chest pockets look on the inside? And how does the inner waist band look? I am ordering the women's soon. Is it better in the slightly longer length? I am thinking of getting mine that way. My try on jacket should arrive Monday. Can't wait to see it! Was considering the blanket or shearling for perhaps a 2nd jacket since I love this timeless style. Yours looks wonderful! Does the blanket itch? What is the fiber?
Thanks in advance for sharing.
I sent you a PM ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner