Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ahead of their time, alas

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Ever heard of an apparel company named New Republic Clothiers? Back in the late 1980s, before even J. Peterman hit its stride, New Republic Clothiers tried to reproduce the vintage stuff that we admire. The quality and fidelity of their "new vintage" clothes were very good.

The company died around 2000. Aside from their internal problems, I believe they were ahead of their time -- a bad thing in business.

Here's an old article about them:

Long before the current vogue for retro fashion, New Republic— founded by Thomas Oatman—has kept alive the flame of American menswear design that burned bright from the 1930s through the 1960s. New Republic, however, is not about promoting any particular era. Oatman added a few different styles to the line's roster every season, changing only the fabrics and colors, and updating the sizing. What the company does manage is to always be in style, because the premise of New Republic is simply about good style.

Thomas Oatman has said: "The difference is that I'm downdating, not updating. I'm not interested in classics with a twist. I want to remain true to the real classics, not the modern knockoffs." New Republic's interpretations are exacting, dealing with more than just the images from those eras that other designers rely on. The company is able to appeal simultaneously to both an avant-garde audience as well as to a more conservative customer. Thus a 1950s Ivy League sack suit exists alongside a pair of 1960s plain-front pegged trousers. Fashion icons are, after all, in the eye of the beholder. New Republic manifests a postmodern sensibility, mixing clothes from different eras in their presentations, which, ultimately, only make fashion sense in an era that coincides with the end of the century.

Oatman is the utmost connoisseur of fine vintage men's clothing. As such, he designs by accessing the index cards in his memory. Every item in the collection can be placed in an elaborate mental stage set that recalls its glory days. And so, a belted leather jacket—as worn by Marlon Brando in the movie On the Waterfront — is endearingly called The Strikebreaker. A 1950s-inspired cabana shirt recalls one's parents' honeymoon photos in Havana.

New Republic weaves romantic dreams that span the decades: a khaki bellows-pocket jacket in Palm Beach cloth conjures up the image of a gentleman on safari in the 1930s. A linen-blend three-button plaid jacket with solid sleeves recalls the look that American soldiers sported when they returned from World War II.

During their leisure time, men in this period wore a pajama-collar rayon gabardine shirt with flap pockets—which happens to be New Republic's trademark, and one of its first styles. Then later, when those soldiers went on vacation, they would wear clamdiggers and cabana shirts at the shore—just like the ones New Republic designed in Creamsicle colors. The late 1950s and early 1960s are also alive and well at New Republic in a natural-shoulder three-button madras sport coat with a hooked center vent and full lap seaming that could have come straight out of Brooks Brothers or J. Press.

America's icons have been inextricably tied with Hollywood, for Hollywood has given us with countless images from which to draw. New Republic, for its part, supplied menswear with a treasure trove of refined American looks. The enduring attraction of New Republic's style has been simple class; as the Daily News Record (10 February 1995) concurred, commenting on a new collection, "New Republic, designed by Thomas Oatman, sent out its signature classics," albeit this time "with a decidedly dandy flavor."

New Republic took commitment to its client?©le a step further in 1995 when it began offering custom services out of its SoHo store. The practice was successful enough that the firm expanded its services the following year, around the same time New Republic inked a 10-year joint venture with Ingram Company Inc., a subsidiary of Network Corporation. The agreement concerned opening three freestanding boutiques in Japan to start, then to continue opening stores throughout Asia.

Oatman also segued into different facets of fashion, teaming up with Pinky Wolman for a rather unusual formalwear collection called Soup + Fish, and then designing uniforms for Jean Georges, a 1950s-styled restaurant. Janice Matsumoto, writing for Restaurants & Institutions (15 December 1997), described the uniforms, five black suits, as "ranging from boxy Nehru jackets for back waiters to eye-catching double-breasted jackets for captains." New Republic's elegant, classically tailored menswear—whether for uniforms, entertaining, or formal occasions—will never go out of style.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I did my part. I still have NR clothes, some up to 20 years old.

I guess this makes them vintage retro. :eusa_doh:

The stuff was fantastic quality and well designed, but I think they defined their target market a little narrowly. The male fashion victim is not somebody you want to depend on to build a business based on style. Most of 'em probably bailed out in the mid-90s, when the tight pants and body building thing started.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
They never come out to the cornfields with this stuff! :eusa_doh:
Never the less, I will keep my eyes peeled for anything by this maker at the more high end resale shops around town.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Jovan said:
What exactly is Palm Beach cloth, and why isn't it still around?

Palm Beach cloth was a 'secret' blend of mohair (wool) and cotton. Beginning in the 1920s, it was promoted and sold by a company named Goodall. Palm Beach cloth was used for warm weather suits, trousers, sportcoats, dinner jackets, neckties and even bowties and cummerbunds.

It was heavily (and successfully) advertised as a neater summer alternative to linen and seersucker, which tended to wrinkle easily and become shapeless. Palm Beach Cloth did not wrinkle so much, due to its mohair content ... yet it was very breathable.

Palm Beach cloth's most popular suit/sportcoat/trouser color was off white, but it was also made in darker blue, light blue, moss green, darker green, yellow, light grey, rust, brown, burgundy and more. There were even striped versions.

In the 1950s, such new porous "miracle fibers" as nylon and dacron, produced and heavily promoted by DuPont, spelled the end of Palm Beach cloth. Nylon and dacron blends took over ... for a while.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
What exactly is Palm Beach cloth, and why isn't it still around?

It was a blend of linen, wool, and mohair, I think. In another thread someone said the exact ratios of each were kept secret.

In a thread at the London Lounge, someone said,
As I understand it, these were made by Goodall Mills in Maine till about 1950s, then they disappeared after being purchased by Burlington. These cloths were prized by collectors for being washable, and breathable - suitable for summer wear.

Edit: Marc was quicker on the draw, again...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Orgetorix said:
It was a blend of linen, wool, and mohair, I think.

I used to think that, too. Then, I saw an eBay auction selling a 1930s promotional pamphlet for Goodall and Palm Beach Cloth. It specifically stated that the cloth was made with mohair and cotton, not linen. I wish I'd kept an image from the auction, but no luck.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Orgetorix said:
I've seen suits as late as the '80s or '90s with a "Palm Beach" label in them--I assume this is a maker's name? Are there any telltale signs of the real PB cloth to look for?

A brand named "Palm Beach" still exists, I believe, and it produces warm weather suits and sportcoats. However, these are a blend of wool and artificial fibers. Nothing whatsover to do with the Palm Beach cloth of old.

Telltale signs of PB cloth? First, look for a label. Virtually everything made of PB cloth had a label (or even two) indicating it. Second, touch it. PB cloth, even at its thinnest, has a very slight 'grit' to the texture, thanks to its mohair content. Sort of like cotton or canvas, but with a wee bit of 'itch' that pure cotton doesn't have. Not at all like poplin. Sort of like a cross between oxford cloth and tropical worsted.

Note that not all examples of Palm Beach cloth are identical. Some suits were made of a thicker, more canvassy PB cloth; others were made of a lighterweight version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass