Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Advice

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Right. In the south and west, a 3-1/4 brim is nothing to get excited over. But in southern NY, it's BIG.

My Cattleman is Sand - it's my summer hiking hat:

CATLMN1.JPG

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Right. In the south and west, a 3-1/4 brim is nothing to get excited over. But in southern NY, it's BIG.

My Cattleman is Sand - it's my summer hiking hat:

CATLMN1.JPG
That hat looks great! I used to live in NYC, so I know what you are saying. Now that I live in Houston, I am not worried I would stick out in the crowd; just worried it wouldn't suit me. If I got a Cattleman, I would definitely get Sand. The Stockman is intriguing, but the lack of pictures of it being worn and information online about it is concerning since it would be one of the only hats I own if I bought it.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
It seems the EA has the best price on the Campdraft in Bluegrass Green, but since there is a three month wait on it, I may have to pass for now (Don't worry. I will revisit this hat later!).

So I have now ruled out the Traveller due to lack of support (which is surprising given the number of Banjo lovers since it looks so similar) and the Campdraft. I also think I'll pass on the Stockman at least until the winter since the summer is long and hot in Houston.

That leaves me with the Lawson, Banjo, and Cattleman. Although I like the look of the Lawson the best, it doesn't appear to be able to be immediately shipped from anywhere other than DM (where it is fairly pricy). Since the Banjo can be had for a little over $100, I am having trouble justifying paying any extra for the Lawson.

So, for now, I guess it's between the Banjo and the Cattleman. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Personally , Everyone has ... you know , haha , but All things considered , I like the Cattleman , you can change the roll of the brim , and crown shape , if desired , and the Banjo has the smaller brim just slightly , but the taper to the crown , more . You're a Big Guy , I think you can handle the Cattleman and will like it more . Just MHO , you can put a little of your own flare into it and make it whatever you want . Houston is HOT , I'd shoot for Sand , if I could . If you think about when skin cancer became prevalent it was about 10 years after Hats became unfashionable . I remember Wide Brim Hats and long sleeve shirts in the Hot Summer Time as a kid in the cotton fields and on the farm , carpenters , every outside occupation , and thankfully you're not outside a great deal in Houston . I've been there , more than a few times , its a jungle in more ways than one . Capishe' ? You'll love the Cattleman , I think , more than the Banjo . 2 cents ... .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
From your description of your build, I would think the Cattleman would be a fine choice. It seems similar to a CampDraft with the back turned down and a leather hatband.
Yeah , I like the Hat Band better on the Cattleman , too . And it's got more colors and with the brim , more options in what you can do with it . I like the crown more , too .

Nice Hats Bob , How's the fit ? They look loose . But I like the colors .

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Bob, that's quite the collection! And those are some good-looking hats! I do appreciate you posting as it is hard to find pics of hats being worn online. This makes it easier to picture what the hat would look like being worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
They both had to be shrunk down a bit. The black fits tight enough and I hope it reshapes a bit with wear. The Bran needs a bit more shrinking. They were a cheap buy in an auction lot so I took a chance.

I like both , but I really like the Bran ! I wondered about it , the Tan Bushman was darker then I expected , but I still love it . It adds to the collection . I'm pondering calling Major Moore (30 miles south of me) at Buckaroo Hatters about a 100% Beaver , not sure about western or fedora , colors (I'm leaning toward natural) , but if western I'll see his thoughts , I'm a little skinny guy , 57 , but feel comfortable in 4" brims and 6" crowns (Open) , but I'm open to his opinion , The Akubra Bushman is 3 1/4" brim , 5 or so " crown I like , and I have an OR in Silver Belly , but I feel weird in it , too big , but the crown is so low and brim so narrow 2 3/4" , he might could do some wonders with that to make it more comfortable . Thanks for the pictures ! Great Hats Always Bob ! I'm 58.5 cm , if you spot something ;) .

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Does anyone know if the Sand color stains easily? Dirt might give it character, but I have two small children who may cause other types of stains.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
In my experience a Hostess Cupcake will get a Black (cream filling) , or Silver Belly (chocolate icing) , but Akubra treats their Hats , damp rag it wipes off . If worst comes to worst , spaghetti sauce or chili , if it doesn't , try Scout Felt Hat Cleaner for darks , or for lights (depending) will do it . Deep stains , sandpaper , if the hat sponge isn't enough (it removes felt , too) , but it should , one or the other (cleaner) , or both . It happens . But the Bran looks like it would handle more , to me , of the everyday stuff , just that happens . But I wouldn't be too worried , but I have Grand Babies , I know .

Last edited:

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Since I haven't had any recent Banjo votes and since I plan to buy a Lawson in Loden at some point, I think I'm going to go with the Cattleman. A big thanks to Dr. Strange for even getting me to consider it. I am debating between Sand and Bran color. I love the Sand but worry it might be too light with kids around. So votes for Sand or Bran? Thanks again for all of the help.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'll tell you , I don't know . The Sand I've seen was a Khaki color , light Sand would be lighter , Bran ... other than Bob's Pictures , I haven't seen . It can look one way in Pictures and be another , but looks like a Dark Khaki in those Pictures or maybe a Fawn color (kind of similar) maybe darker . Others may know and be able to describe the color better . My Tan Bushman is a lighter shade of Brown , but Brown , not Khaki . If in real life Sand is like the one I saw , it would be great , darker than Silver Belly by a long shot , not as prone as Silver Belly is to getting as noticeable , but get a Hat Brush and set of sponges , they're everywhere , and you can find a Hat Jack for $14 on eBay that includes shipping I think . Killer Hats , I think sells them that cheap as Buy Now . I wear 7 3/8 and I got a medium HJ , you want a size smaller . Or you can get a used vintage Made-Rite on Etsy for ... about $42 , plus shipping , last I looked , just like mine and they're Made-Rite really nice (I can point you to them) , sometimes less on eBay , but if you are my size you can buy 6 3/4 in a Millinery Hat Stretcher , like a Made-Rite , they go up to 7 3/4 and it has size and inches showing , but 7 1/8 is more like 7 3/8 or more on them (the ones I have anyway) . New they're like $90 for a two way , $110 , I think for a four way . If you're a Long Oval two way is good enough . They adjust the Oval , Stretch , or Retain the Hat from shrinking if you let it sit , or store it . Nice to have one of some kind . (you can get cleaning kits from anywhere , but ONE2miniRanch west of you has them and probably every western store around Houston).

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
One more to consider may be the Lightning Ridge if you're between the Banjo and the Lawson. The LR has the brim of the Lawson but otherwise more of the look of the BP and it's available in the heritage fawn which I love...also sand which I like for warmer weather. I've been so close to purchasing the LR many times and suspect I'll probably have one by the fall to add to my collection.

Oh, the LR is also Heritage collection like BP & lawson.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
One more to consider may be the Lightning Ridge if you're between the Banjo and the Lawson. The LR has the brim of the Lawson but otherwise more of the look of the BP and it's available in the heritage fawn which I love...also sand which I like for warmer weather. I've been so close to purchasing the LR many times and suspect I'll probably have one by the fall to add to my collection.

Oh, the LR is also Heritage collection like BP & lawson.
I noticed the LR the other day, and I really like it. I may get one down the road, possibly even before I buy a Banjo. I do think I want a Cattleman for the summer and then a Lawson as a go-to darker color hat. Am I making a mistake by passing on it (for now) for the Lawson?

I love your BGG Coober Pedy btw.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
I noticed the LR the other day, and I really like it. I may get one down the road, possibly even before I buy a Banjo. I do think I want a Cattleman for the summer and then a Lawson as a go-to darker color hat. Am I making a mistake by passing on it (for now) for the Lawson?

I love your BGG Coober Pedy btw.

I wouldn't ever say you're making a mistake. If you're like me then you're going to end up with a nice collection in the end anyway so buy for the nearest season that you'll be wearing it for. Love my 'brown' hats in winter but mostly switch to lighter colors for summer. I do have an Angler as well that is really close to the Lawson and love it as much as any other.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I can't remember , but Motorcyclist , Are you the guy with the pretty big Akubra Collection I saw ? Like 6 , I think , or more ?

Unless we are talking vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc) six of anything isn't a collection. I have twenty Akubra hats, seventeen felts and three polypropylene.

While I tend to wear my custom VS and Penman hats more often, when I reach for an Akubra it is invariably a Campdraft or a Fed IV.

I started years ago with my Banjos but after a while (like most here) I came to prefer a straighter, less tapered hat. I do wear my Cattleman and Bushman when camping or hiking but for casual wear I still think you can't beat a Campdraft. There is a reason this (OR) style hat has been around for decades. While a Banjo or Lawson is a great for very casual wear, the Campdraft is equally at home with a sport coat and tie as it is with a pair of jeans and boots.

Just something to think about! Either way, no matter what Akubra(s) you buy you will own a tough, durable hat. IMO these are without a doubt the best value in a (non-custom) modern hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo