Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Banjo Paterson vs Clasico

Python

New in Town

Bebop

Practically Family
Nutria vs. Rabbit

Being an Argentino, I can tell you that nutria is highly regarded by Argentine outdoorsmen for it's resistance to weather and it's comfort. I think that the big difference between the two hats is nutria and rabbit. I have not worn a nutria hat so can't comment personally but I have a Banjo P, and can tell you that it is one excellent hat. I can wear it in heat and cold with no ill effects. I think that nutria may be more of a cold weather hat than the rabbit that Akubra uses. I am a novice and just going by common sense, so take that with a grain of salt.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
They stuck the word "hare" in the ad also so its a blend.

Quote!

100% fur felt of nutria (a South American relative of the beaver) and hare.

How about ordering both and the one you like the best keep it and return the other one! :)

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Patterson vs Clasico

I own both of these and the BP is far and away the best hat. The BP has a great sweatband and a very nice hat band made from the national sport fish, the Barramundi(?). It is also made with the best rabbit fur available.

Both are comfortable but the Clasico is a Chevy and the BP is a Mercedes. Talk to Doug, the owner. I did before I bought the Clasico which is a very nice hat for under $100.00 but not a great hat.

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

dlgilbert

New in Town
jeboat,

Did you order a size larger in the Clasico as Doug suggests on his site, and if so, was it a good fit? I've been tempted to order that hat for months now. I've never had a bad experience with Noggintops, but it's always nice to hear from someone who owns a hat before making a purchase. :)

Cheers!

Dan

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Clasico fro Noggintops

I did speak with Doug and he was correct. I normally wear a 7 1/4 but ordered a 7 3/8 and it fits fine. I did shim the sweatband with some foam he supplies, be sure to ask for it when you order. Almost all of the felt hats I own have shrunk over time so the foam will be temporary.

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

dlgilbert

New in Town
Excellent. I may have to send off an order for that one, then.

I've gotten about 8 or 9 hats from Noggintops and Doug's customer service is top notch. I've been delighted with every single purchase, and knowing that he'll stand behind everything 100% makes things even better.

Thanks for the info! :)

Python

New in Town
I was about ready to get the Banjo Paterson when I heard from Doug at NogginTops,

"With a little steam and persistent fingers you can train the brim of the
Banjo to turn upward in the rear. However, you likely won't be able to get
it to turn up quite as far as a "snap brim" fedora that is made to turn up.
Snap brims have a curvature formed into the brim that helps them to turn up
higher."

I really don't like hats who's brim turns down in the back (or at least I haven't gotten used to them yet) and I have no experience shaping hats with steam ... not sure I want to experiement with a $130 hat. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24