Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting first hat. Suggestions?

Soxfan33

New in Town
I'm looking to pick up a fedora soon and I figured this would be a good place to get some suggestions. I'm looking for a conservative look, nothing with too small a brim like you see some people in hollywood wearing today. This is the style I'd like to find. That's not me in the picture.
http://www.propertopper.com/cgi-bin..._catid=202&sid=1TRM-s1FOHfj5in-32105325423.ee

Any suggestions you have on things I should pay attention to would be great! Oh, just to give you an idea of my face: Angular jaw, widows peak head (which I guess doesn't matter since it'll be under the hat). If I could compare myself to anybody, it would be the english actor Jason Statham, for anybody that knows who he is, The Transporter, Snatch, The Italian Job are a few movies he's in.
Thanks for the help.
Dan

JeffW

Familiar Face
I waited to till I was able to take a trip to Peter Bros. I wanted to not only try it on, but also see what looked best. Only after I really knew what I wanted, did I buy anything mail order. Also you will find small differances in the size.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I have to second the opinion about Miller Hats. I ordered my first new hat from them and was very pleased with their online catalog, prices and service. Good luck!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Millers storefront is about 30 minutes from my front door...

Their signature line is Biltmore. They carry Stetson and Dobbs and some other Italian felt called Guerra. The kid who works in the showroom's name is Adam.

Soxfan33

New in Town
Thanks everybody. I'm in DC and I found a place that has a lot of different styles so I'm going to go over there and check it out. I figure I should try a few on to make sure I get what I really want in terms of look, etc. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
What's the name & location of the place in DC? I travel there on business from time to time and always like to stroll around in a new hat shop!

Barry

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
Go to The Hattery in Georgetown and ask for Anthony or Vince.

Anthony is a really nice guy. I bought my first Fedora there a little while ago. He has a nice selection of tweed caps and other hats.

Bob, have you purchased one of his custom straw hats?

He has a good eye for size and matching hat color to skin tone. He seemed to know right away that a caramel color would have a draining effect on my face. As much as I loved the hat it sure wasn't a good match. I settled for a brown Fedora. I love it!

Barry

Barry

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
I haven't purchased any of his hats, no. I did sell him some straws, both Cuenca and Montecristi.

Unfortunately, paying for his last shipment (You know Vince and Anthony, the one with the unfinished Montecristis for your display!) doesn't seem to be his (their) top priority...nor paying for the fino fino he(they!)asked for, for that matter.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I had no idea. They did have a number on display - I live basically up Wisconsin Avenue from the store (I'm in Glover Park).

Do you sell finished hats too? I plan to buy a Montecristi for the spring / summer.

Barry

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, we sell finished bodies. I'd suggest buying unblocked and having Art Fawcett block it.

I'm sure I'll be given advice to edit that stuff later, but 'tis true, 'tis true.

Funny, I've had terrible trouble with some hatters paying.

riccardo

Practically Family
Welcome Soxfan

Hi to all,
I've bought a new Akubra Stylemaster a few days ago.
It's a great hat,lightweight, smooth and soft.
Certanly it isn't a vintage felt, but it's really a good item.
There is here a member that can tell anything about it.
Take a look at www.getahaton.com the member's name is Aaron.

Best regards and good luck!
Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt