Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Delays

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Swagman said:
True enough and the Aussies are a mellow breed.

I suspect, but have no evidence of such, that since it is Summer in Australia that they are filling some local demand for hats like the Cattleman and Snowy River.

In the immortal words of Dr Smith on Lost In Space:

"Oh the pain...the pain...!":eek: :eek: lol

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Well...after 3 months and 2 1/2 weeks my Akubra Stylemaster finally came. Unfortunately I wasn't home to sign for the package so back it went to the post office.
Because of my work hours the post office is closed when I go to work and closed when I get home.
I signed the receipt the postman left giving him instruction to leave the package today. Today I hope to go home and see my long awaited hat waiting for me.

pj

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
Gil do you trust this store to know what they are doing? Hats Direct informed me before charging me that there would be a delay. No emails no phony promises. I don't care about the wait I care about is accurate communication[huh]

I agree. This is my first purchase from Everything Australian. From comments on FL and other research, I believe they are reliable. Sam has been very responsive. At this point, I just want him to tell me definitively - if he can - when the hat will ship. As long as that date isn't three months from now, I'll be fine. I'm just frustrated that no indication was given when I ordered the hat that there could be such a delay in shipping. Tell me up front and I'm fine with it.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gilgamark said:
I agree. This is my first purchase from Everything Australian. From comments on FL and other research, I believe they are reliable. Sam has been very responsive. At this point, I just want him to tell me definitively - if he can - when the hat will ship. As long as that date isn't three months from now, I'll be fine. I'm just frustrated that no indication was given when I ordered the hat that there could be such a delay in shipping. Tell me up front and I'm fine with it.

Your tale just pushed the wrong button with me. I am an understanding guy, but, I do not know one merchant would tolerate the aforementioned behavior when it comes to getting paid. Nor should they.:eusa_doh:

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
Your tale just pushed the wrong button with me. I am an understanding guy, but, I do not know one merchant would tolerate the aforementioned behavior when it comes to getting paid. Nor should they.:eusa_doh:

I agree. Now, I don't want anyone to think I'm just bashing on Everything Australian. I'll repeat that Sam has been very responsive, and he says the delay is from Akubra. I paid for a hat three weeks ago that I thought I should receive in a couple of weeks, give or take some time. Now it's three weeks later and the seller doesn't even have the hat from the producer.

I've recommended to Sam that he put some sort of notice on his website about Akubra's holiday shutdown and the potential for delays. Again, I'm fine with it if you tell me up front.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
I guess I was the lucky one then.

I ordered my moonstone Fed IV January 12th and it is waiting me at the customs. It will be in my hands today after work, happy day indeed.

Mine was in stock at the Hats direct :p

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Fingers crossed...

I've ordered a Moonstone Fed IV Deluxe and an Acorn Stylemaster today from Hats Direct as the value looked very good even against the UK Pound. :) :)

We'll see what happens...

P.S Are there any good threads on how to actually crease and bash these hats from open crown? I seem to recall seeing a video somewhere but can't find it now...

Cheers,
Nicholas.

icarus333

New in Town
I ordered an acorn fawn Stylemaster from EA in early December. When it didn't arrive when I expected I contacted them, and was informed of the delay with Akubra. I'm happy to say that the hat arrived today, and I'm very pleased with it.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Looks like the delays might be reducing now anyway - email today from HatsDirect - the Stylemaster in stock (58) and being sent out, the Fed IV Deluxe Moonstone expected late next week in that size.

They helpfully suggested that it is better to send the hats separately to the UK anyway because of our Customs and the heavy duties imposed.

N. :)

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I received my Federation 1V size 59 Moonstone in the mail yeasterday. It took abut 15 days from order. There was a slight delay on my Campdraft back in December.There was a short backorder on Silverbelly, but still got it in about 30 days. Both hats were purchased from Hats Direct.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Latest Chapter

Just got an email from Sam today. Akubra says it will be 2-3 weeks before they have a 59 mid-grey Stylemaster. He wants to know if I want to cancel the order. Probably not since the hat is about twenty bucks cheaper through EA than hats direct, but I think Sam should offer me something at this point. Thoughts?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't gone back and reread all your earlier comments, but unless you were seriously misled earlier in the wait, I wouldn't expect any special treatment. Waiting on the factory is really beyond EA's control - though I agree that the factory's five-week holiday shutdown should be clearly stated by all Akubra dealers processing orders in Nov/Dec/Jan.

I just ordered a size 57 mid-grey Stylemaster from EA yesterday, and aside from the automatic confirmation message, I haven't heard back from them yet. Now I'm very interested to see what their response will be...

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
I haven't gone back and reread all your earlier comments, but unless you were seriously misled earlier in the wait, I wouldn't expect any special treatment. Waiting on the factory is really beyond EA's control - though I agree that the factory's five-week holiday shutdown should be clearly stated by all Akubra dealers processing orders in Nov/Dec/Jan.

I just ordered a size 57 mid-grey Stylemaster from EA yesterday, and aside from the automatic confirmation message, I haven't heard back from them yet. Now I'm very interested to see what their response will be...

On this thread or another, someone said they were told mid-to-late February shipment on their Akubra. Now I'm told the same. I wouldn't expect shipment before them.

Mine is a long tale, but it feels like Akubra hasn't been forthcoming with accurate information. I've been getting "next week, next week" until the most recent "2-3 weeks."

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I doubt that AE has been deliberately inaccurate about it. My play would be to confirm you still want the hat, with a subtle and very polite comment that reminds them of your unusual waiting experience. Then, wait and see if they throw you a bone on their own. Maybe a small, unexpected freebee will be in the box, or a coupon for a future order.

If they make a gesture on their own, however small, it will show that they are interested in keeping you happy and coming back. If nothing happens, it's no insult to you. However, by virtue of personal experience; it's worth the extra few bucks to you if you order from somebody else... unless it's an AE exclusive.

To me, that is the no-drama way of building or dissolving vendor loyalty.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap Well said, Not-Bogart.

My Stylemaster from Hats Direct is now on the way to me (size 58), the Fed IV should be this week. But even if it's not for another two weeks, or a month, it's no biggy really. After all, a custom hat will take 6 weeks or more (and over a year if you're an Indy fan after a certain AB hat, I gather).

Anyway good luck Gilgamark, hope you get your hat soon.

N. :)

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Not-Bogart13 said:
I doubt that AE has been deliberately inaccurate about it. My play would be to confirm you still want the hat, with a subtle and very polite comment that reminds them of your unusual waiting experience. Then, wait and see if they throw you a bone on their own. Maybe a small, unexpected freebee will be in the box, or a coupon for a future order.

If they make a gesture on their own, however small, it will show that they are interested in keeping you happy and coming back. If nothing happens, it's no insult to you. However, by virtue of personal experience; it's worth the extra few bucks to you if you order from somebody else... unless it's an AE exclusive.

To me, that is the no-drama way of building or dissolving vendor loyalty.

This sounds like solid advice to me. It seems like everyone that went with a little more expensive retailer got their hats much sooner. I know I'm repeating myself, but that's the frustrating thing about this experience: from what I read on the EA website, I thought they could ship in the same time as HatsDirect. That being the case, I saw no need to pay the extra money. Now I know why.

VickHick

New in Town
I ordered a Campdraft in mid-brown from EA last week. I asked if the hat was in stock or would I have to wait. Got an email back stating the hat was scheduled for shipment the first week of April. So a little less than 3 months. We will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy