Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra disapointment

carldelo

One Too Many
clevispin said:

What a crock!

m

Sam at EA had Akubra make me a hat in a previously unavailable size and it arrived a month earlier than expected. I think we can refrain from condemning EA on the basis of a few Lounge anecdotes, eh?

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Oy! Sorry - I mean Eh!

The glowing reference from a one post poster irked me. And Canadians are not very loyal Americans either...

m

carldelo

One Too Many
clevispin said:
The glowing reference from a one post poster irked me. And Canadians are not very loyal Americans either...

m

By Gad, sir, you are a character. There's never any telling what you'll say or do next, except that it's bound to be something astonishing.... ;)

ex812

Familiar Face
Well I think that I can condemn him, atleast I won't be shopping there any longer. I order a special order hat. When over 3 months has passed, I check on it. The response I get is sorry Akubra or us messed up and it wasn't ordered and it will take atleast another month. several weeks go by with no follow ups and finally I just tell him to send a size down that he has in stock. He does and it arrived today. I am happy with the hat and can live with the size since the capricorn really shouldn't shrink. However I am really disappointed that there was no appology note in the box, just enjoy your hat.

MCrider

A-List Customer
carldelo said:
Sam at EA had Akubra make me a hat in a previously unavailable size and it arrived a month earlier than expected. I think we can refrain from condemning EA on the basis of a few Lounge anecdotes, eh?

That may be true, but sometimes it helps to have this info before you shop, especially when it's approaching a hundred dollars or more. Personally my first order for a Capricorn went through nice and smooth, no complaints whatsoever and I had the hat in my hands in about two weeks or so. That led me to order a Squatter through them since at the time it was either EA or DM. My accounts been charged for the hat and I still have a while to wait, but I've sent three emails to make sure the order went through and haven't received a single reply. So now I wait and hope the ball didn't get dropped.

Will Morgan

Vendor
Ouch. Too often low prices advertised by low-balling, goal-hanging website storefronts hide costly basic-service shortcuts:

Is the hat shown stocked? Can it be returned economically should there be a problem?

In my view Akubra cannot survive as a cut-rate discount brand. The quality is there we know, but availability, fit and service are paramount in the hat business. The best place to buy a hat is in a store in your town where the salesperson knows felts. A store in your state is next best... a store that will answer when called.

Our list of Authorized North American Akubra dealers is here:

http://akubra-usa.com/ak_akubra_dealers.html

If you are considering buying an Akubra, or hear of someone looking for a good hat that doesn't know Akubra, please keep in mind that a North American buying from an authorized Akubra dealer will be well supported; a customer can return a hat for a size exchange efficiently.

If you love Akubras hats and care about Akubra's future both in Australia and in the US and Canada, know that by buying from North American dealers, you will be supporting the growth of the brand and the product's distribution here.

Importing, stocking, and advertising hats in North America takes continued investment: with your help Akubra and David Morgan will grow awareness of the great quality and styling of Akubra hats, and therefore grow the number of store locations and styles that will then be more conveniently available to you... more great hats for your heads, placed there with fair dinkum service.

Thank you loungers for your support of Akubra.

Will

http://akubra-usa.com/
http://davidmorgan.com/

It seems that many of the Loungers are looking for larger sizes or colors that aren't usually available. While Akubra is often happy to do them the Australian outlets have been more likely to offer them. This recent spate of problems is unusual.

Our US dealers have offered top notch service and need to figure out how to economically handle special orders as well as get the ones in demand such as the Campdraft model. We tend to like a few more color choices and are disappointed when a color is taken out of the pallette.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Buying local is great if you can but price makes a difference too. There is no local Akubra store in my province and I think David Morgan is it for North America. I've found some sites in Canada, but they mostly only carry the western style Akubras. So for me, I've gotta order on line.

The problem comes when I compare prices, in Canadian funds a Squatter from Hats Direct will cost me $97 and the same hat from David Morgan will cost me $140. I'm not trying to knock anyone here, but at the end of the day money talks and that's $43 I can do something else with.

carldelo

One Too Many
I agree that it's good to support NA Akubra dealers - I bought my first (a Sydney) from Noggintops. Most NA dealers offer only bush hats. To get a Capricorn and a Stylemaster (as I did later) there was no option but ordering from Aus. The most frequently discussed Akubra must be the Campdraft, which appears to not be available from a NA dealer. I don't know of any NA dealer who offers the low-cost polypro hats, either - so what are we to do but order from down under?

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
To give you an example how good the situation is for you in the USA regarding buying an Akubra, here is what the german importer of Akubra charges for a
- Banjo Paterson: € 169,00 / $ 236.00
- Leisure Time: € 135,00 / $ 189.00
- Angler: € 155,00 / $ 217.00
and so on.
Count yourself lucky to have it at it is. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy