Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Fed: Carbon Grey

Barry

Practically Family
akubra4.jpg

akubra1.jpg

akubra2.jpg

akubra3.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
GraveRobberGreg said:
Outstanding hat! I cant wait for the Camptowns to start...I need my gray!

Thanks. I wish I had waited for one of the Camptowns. I might join in the next group purchase.

I ordered this hat from Hats Direct in Australia. The shipping took a little
longer than I expected - but then again it is gift giving time so these things take time.

The brim is really stiff - much stiffer than I expected.

Barry

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Stiff Brim

I have a brown Fed, and yes it has a stiff brim... almost cowboy-hat stiff. I noticed when I steamed it, though (to make the front snap more dramatic), the brim turned out a little softer. So, I steamed the entire brim without reshaping. Also, it will soften a bit with wear and handling.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Shrink in.

Barry said:
It arrived today! :)

I read in another thread about a Camptown hat that was going to be a similar color so I thought I would post this picture.

I like it. I mistakenly ordered it slightly too large for my head. Go figure, I thought I had the size right. Live and learn. It's not too big though. I took it down to a local hatter and let him block it and shape it for me. He said that he had worked a number of Akubra hats but never an Akubra Fed.

I'll post some additional pics if anyone is interested.

carbon.gif

Every Akubra I have ever bought was to big at first and I used foam behind the sweat band but in a few weeks as I wore the hat I had to remove the foam. I wear a size 59cm. Yours will fit fine in a few weeks I'm postive.:)

Barry

Practically Family
Dalexs said:
I wouldn't mind seeing an outdoor shot of the hat, because, honestly, I can't really tell what color it is from the above shot.

Dalexs

I'll get some outside shots tomorrow afternoon.

Barry

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
is it an Akubra Federation??
I like very much it, I prefer the carbon gray instead of the brown (the classic Fed, I think). Compliments.
I've received today my Akubra Stylemaster in steel gray.
It's a very beautiful hat,very lightweight and warm.
How Sharpetoys said,it is a little big for my head (I'm a 60cm size, it is a 60cm) then I place a little of foam under the sweat, but now I hope that, how Sharpetoys said, it will become good for me in a few weeks.

It's my first Akubra, and I think the made a good qualities hats...for me!

Best regards.
Riccardo.

JerseyJones

Vendor
Zach R. said:
I've been debating on getting me a grey fed myself, but those pics sealed the deal.

That is a fine fedora.:cheers1:

To all who are into my upcoming Grey offering, that Akubra is the shade and with 3 more people I can get the Camptown Model 1945 Metropolitan Made !

Thanks for being into it !

Ken

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Akubra too large

I agree with Sharpetoys, every Akubra I have bought has been too large at first. I used foam and within a couple of weeks of steady wearing I had to remove the foam. Fedora says the same.

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

indyjim

Familiar Face
I agree, great looking hat! But then, I'm a bit prejudiced, since I own a gray one myself. In fact, that's it in my avatar:fedora:

Barry

Practically Family
indyjim said:
I agree, great looking hat! But then, I'm a bit prejudiced, since I own a gray one myself. In fact, that's it in my avatar:fedora:

The shape to your crown is much more prounced than mine - how did you shape it? I took mine to a hat store and let the hatter block mine. Maybe I will have to try and tweak it some more.

Barry

indyjim

Familiar Face
First, I did not use steam or water. I carefully created the top dent, pushing
it down as far as I dared before it started to pull the sides in. Then I simply
worked the pinch in, again, no steam. It really didn't take long, and came out
much better than my first brown Fed. My second brown Fed came out a lot like the gray. I can't honestly remember if I used a little water on the front brim.
I think I might have but mostly it was just forming it in my hands and constantly
bending and shaping.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I shaped my Fed by hand, as well. Except the brim. I had to use a little steam. But the crown is all by hand. Every time I wear it, I play with it just a little, slowly working toward my desired bash. You should have not trouble making the pinch more dramatic by hand, Barry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot