Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Federation and Sydney Crown Heights

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have both a Federation and a Sydney they can post pictures of side by side? I have a Sydney in charcoal and it's a good fit for my head, but I want a brown fedora and am considering a Federation just for something a bit different. I'm just worried the crown will be so high as to look ridiculous (I'm not a large person). If anyone can give me an idea of the relative crown heights of these two hats I would appreciate it. :)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Roadrunner said:
Does anyone have both a Federation and a Sydney they can post pictures of side by side? I have a Sydney in charcoal and it's a good fit for my head, but I want a brown fedora and am considering a Federation just for something a bit different. I'm just worried the crown will be so high as to look ridiculous (I'm not a large person). If anyone can give me an idea of the relative crown heights of these two hats I would appreciate it. :)

I could do a Syd and an Adventurer for you, but not a Fed.

Stoney

Practically Family
Height Problem?

I wouldn't worry too much about the height on a Federation.
If you don't like it as a center dent you can always use a teardrop, or C bash in it to eat up a little extra height. It's easier to bash away extra crown height than it is to add more when the hat is too short.
;)

Another thing... Try a tall crown for a while and you'll start to appreciate the look.

K

Kaosharper1

Heights

That's right. I have a Sydney and a Federation (and an Adventurer too). The Fed is 1/2" taller than the Sydney open crowned, but you can bash the Federation so that its lower. I did a modified diamond that brought the height down. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always get an Adventurer. Its actually the same height as the Sydney open crowned but has the same felt as the Fed, but it only comes in mid-brown. The brim is also 1/8" wider all around than the Fed.

surely

A-List Customer
(this is a continuation of stoney's post) and the comfort of a hat not resting on the top of your head; also the extra air space makes for good insulation.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FYI, according to posts at COW, the Federation is being revamped with a new (well, new to the model, actually very old block found at Akubra, pre-WWII) and a lower crown (5.5"). It will be the Federation IV. Not all details have been outlined yet, but it should be a reality within the next few weeks. The 'old' Federation may not be available any longer.

Stoney

Practically Family
Roadrunner said:
OK, thanks guys. A Federation it is (I want a snap brim).

If you're talking about a snap brim like mine...

fed-flanged.jpg

The Federation does not come like this. It comes from Hats Direct with a flat brim. I added the snap brim by flanging it on one of my..well... flanges.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Oooohh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! Your picture is the one I was thinking of. Maybe I should just get an Adventurer and trim the brim a bit instead.

Stoney

Practically Family
Or maybe just get a flange. Streaming the snap in is pretty easy. If you plan on having a few hats it can get expensive, sending them all out to get flanged and blocked. Usually $30.00 or so each or more. The last block and flange that I picked up on e-bay set me back a mere $24.00 plus shipping I think about $9.00 for a total of around $33.00. A good investment and it's fun to work on your own hats. Besides I'm a tightwad at heart. lol

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
I do enjoy working on my hats (or just stuff in general). I just replaced the ribbon on my Sydney with a wider grosgrain, it turned out OK. I'm not quite satisfied with the bow. It was still fun.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Kaosharper1 said:
That's right. I have a Sydney and a Federation (and an Adventurer too). The Fed is 1/2" taller than the Sydney open crowned, but you can bash the Federation so that its lower. I did a modified diamond that brought the height down. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can always get an Adventurer. Its actually the same height as the Sydney open crowned but has the same felt as the Fed, but it only comes in mid-brown. The brim is also 1/8" wider all around than the Fed.
Now is that the new DM Adventurer you're talking about or the other one with really soft fur?[huh]

K

Kaosharper1

Colby Jack said:
Now is that the new DM Adventurer you're talking about or the other one with really soft fur?[huh]

Yes, the DM Akubra Adventurer.

K

Kaosharper1

AlanC said:
FYI, according to posts at COW, the Federation is being revamped with a new (well, new to the model, actually very old block found at Akubra, pre-WWII) and a lower crown (5.5"). It will be the Federation IV. Not all details have been outlined yet, but it should be a reality within the next few weeks. The 'old' Federation may not be available any longer.

Neat. I have to admit that I like the tall crowns, but the Fed may be a little too tall, at least for me. 5.5" seems like plenty, and I like the Adventurer a little better because of it. I'll be interested in the new block.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For a shorter crown, what about a Stylemaster?

My Akubra Stylemasters typically come out with a 4.25-4.5 inch crown for a diamond or teardrop bash:

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

The big difference is that the Stylemaster doesn't have a raw-edged brim. Whatever you go with Roadrunner, enjoy it!

Spellflower

Practically Family
I have both a Federation and a Fedora (almost exactly the same hat as the Sydney, but with a wind trolley), and I've posted comparison pics before, but I'm too tired to search for them now. Use the advanced search option and you can probably find them.

My Federation has now tapered, and I'm glad the crown started off as high as it was because I find I now have just enough. My Fedora's crown has always felt low to me (coming from the Federation), and though it's a great hat, I prefer the look of a taller crown on my head.

pils

New in Town
Federation snap brim

The Fed doesn't come with a lot of snap but there is some (when my Fed was new and stiff the brim actually gave an audible snap). In the end I turned the brim down a little more using steam, but this is how my Fed looked before that (completely dry bashed).

IMG_0480.jpg

Edit: Of course this information regards the "old" Federation.

/Niels

Stoney

Practically Family
Roadrunner said:
I do enjoy working on my hats (or just stuff in general). I just replaced the ribbon on my Sydney with a wider grosgrain, it turned out OK. I'm not quite satisfied with the bow. It was still fun.

Roadrunner,

Post a picture of the hat. Lets see it.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley