Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Federation?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I'm looking for a classic gray fedora, and I thought that the Akubra Federation fit the bill. However, I've searched the net and I can't find one for sale.

Are they no longer being produced, or have I just been looking in the wrong places?

Lorne D. Gilsig

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Yes, but

I did see that, but is this the only place to find one? Postage alone is $35, and if you have to send it back because its the wrong size, you have to sell the farm to do it.

Lorne

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hats Direct developed the Federation as an exclusive, in conjunction with the membership at the Indiana Jones forum. Unless I am (once again) mistaken, they are the only source.

Buy it. It's probably the best dollar-for-dollar hat value out there.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Lorne said:
I did see that, but is this the only place to find one? Postage alone is $35, and if you have to send it back because its the wrong size, you have to sell the farm to do it.

Lorne

Well when you order a hat from them you'll receive a conformation and instructions to confirm the size of your head.
I received my hat 6 days after ordering it and from 1/2 way around the world that's darn good. I do wish that they would double box as mine had a small hole punch in it like some miscreant had drop kicked it, hat was fine.
Bob.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Are you sure the $35 wasn't in australian currency? I got my federation from them, it was 91 US. Total to my door (Florida)was $114.
Hats direct service alone is worth your time!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I just ordered one...

...and what you are worried about happened to me.

When you do your measurement do it in centimeters not inches. Their hats are pretty accurate to size and they are made to centimeters. Follow their directions on sizing very carefully.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Mid-fogey said:
...and what you are worried about happened to me.

When you do your measurement do it in centimeters not inches. Their hats are pretty accurate to size and they are made to centimeters. Follow their directions on sizing very carefully.

Hiya Lorne,

Akubras are indeed measured in cm instead of inches, like Mid-fogey says. Sizing might vary slightly, but no more so than any other brand of hat.

Perhaps what follows will repeat some other thread. But I'll go ahead and say it anyway, since it's what I learned when I mail-ordered my first Akubra from Australia:

If you usually buy some other brand of hat in size XYZ, it's still not a good idea to assume that your true size is size XYZ. Measure your head with a tailor's cloth measuring tape. Measure it at least three times in case the tape slips or something.

It's worth noting that Akubra makes their hats a fraction of a centimeter larger than the stated size, in order to allow for slight shrinkage. Most likely plenty of other hat factories have a similar policy, but I've never seen that stated in print like I've seen with Akubra.

If it's ALMOST snug when it arrives, but seems just a tiny bit loose, then you've done it right.

Hats Direct will most likely enclose a couple of strips of foam with a new Federation. You can put a strip or two of this foam underneath the sweatband if you want the hat to fit more snugly until it's finished conforming to your head.

Cheers,
Mark

carter

I'll Lock Up
Service by HatsDirect

I purchased an Akubra Stylemaster from HatsDirect and agree with all the positive comments posted here. The service was superlative and the hat arrived in less than a week. You really can't do better than this as far as vendor service is concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot