Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Hampton and Whippet photos

Picker

One of the Regulars
I am contemplating a shorter-brimmed hat,and was hoping some of you guys would please post some shots of the Akubra Hampton and/or Whippet in action, that is...on your noggin. I ran a search and found a few shots of just the hats, but I really want to see some head shots. Hoping you'll oblige, and thanking you in advance...
Picker

theinterchange

One Too Many
While those aren't the most popular models around here, you can see some in the Akubra Overload thread.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34737

I know Elvisroe recently got a Hampton, and has some photos of himself in it there.

Have been contemplating a Hampton myself for something different.

Hope this helps, and glad to have you 'round these parts!

Randy

P.S at the top of each thread page, you'll notice a "search this thread" option where you can narrow down the posts to be more relevant for you.

theinterchange

One Too Many
haha, I said they weren't popular, you said they were Godfrey. I guess I should have been clearer, there aren't that many photos of either around... as far as I've seen. :p

BUT in comparison to the Campdraft and Federation, they aren't as densely populated here.

Randy

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Hey Picker

Here's some for you. Excuse the picture quality, I felt totally "myspace" doing it. I have too full a face for it, but I don't care. I like stingies.

Profile:
4243654067_a22da295e9_m.jpg

Yes, those are playing cards. It originally came with a bright blue feather which finds its way in the ribbon. It's currently in poker hat mode.

Front on:
4244427604_1c7220c568_m.jpg

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Grey Hampton

Here's a couple of the pix I also posted in the Akubra Overload thread...

This is the cruiser grey...

greyhat2.jpg

And this is my brother's thyme green...

DSCN3193-1.jpg

cr

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
haha, I said they weren't popular, you said they were Godfrey. I guess I should have been clearer, there aren't that many photos of either around... as far as I've seen. :p

Agreed - good to see this redressed!

Hampton Regency Fawn (Bad Movember Mo included)
4246904009_7173ab6a07.jpg

Hampton Cruiser Grey
4246904129_43ef1b7ae6.jpg

Whippet Carbon Grey
4246913549_79f986b16b.jpg
4247711156_c506c87a45.jpg

The Whippet seems lighter in the first photo than reality. My preferred hat at present.

galopede

One of the Regulars
I have a 60's Hampton in a sort of charcoal grey. One of my favourites. Nice feel to the felt and in excellent condition. Have to see if I can get a photo for the thread.

The only difference to the ones above is that the ribbon has two rows of small woven squares (all same colour) as a decoration. Obviously saving money with the newer plain ribbons!

Gareth

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Jauntyone said:
Is there any difference in overall shape between the Whippet and the Hampton?

Not really. They are basically the same hat and the same bash, I think they are in the process of phasing out the Hampton - its getting harder to find. Akubra seems to do this on occasion. One of my favourite hats in the early 90's was the Warwick - a hat that survived a good 10 years of neglect and mistreatment before my dog allowed it to rest in pieces. I think the Warwick then became the Style Master - another excellent hat. Same bash and rough dimensions. Hard to tell for sure as my forensic and jigsaw skills are pretty poor.

Makes me think of one other point. I think the style of hat is about how it suits your face. The wide brims are pretty popular at the moment and I wore them allot when I was younger and (frankly) significantly lighter. Now that I have "matured" (read filled out) the medium brims suit me better. I thinks its always a case of what suits you rather than whats fashionable. The Art of Manliness have a good article on this and I have always liked the Millers Hats advice page. I'm certain this is a cross post of these links but if you are considering a Hampton or Whippet make sure it will suit you before spending the cash.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Godfrey, it suprised me how similar in colour your 'carbon' Whippet is to my 'cruiser' Hampton.

The difference between my hampton and my carbon Fed iv is night and day...well maybe night and a really foggy day. ;)

Is your whippet darker than it appears in the pix or would you say they're fairly close?

nulty

One of the Regulars
What is the quality like on that Akubra whippet?..I've never owned one or even handled an Akubra but I've heard the stingies aren't of the same quality as other models...stiff as a petticoat I've heard....

I've always admired that hat and have wondered fondly If I'll get one. The hat looks to me like the best looking modern made stingy out there...a real classic design....
Cheers!

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Mine was certainly not "stiff as a petticoat" - in fact I'd say it's much softer than the several other Akubras on my rack.

Soft as a petticoat perhaps?[huh]

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
The photos above bring something out that is interesting - depending on your bone structure and `size` (proportion of face), the same type of hat can look bigger or smaller on differnent faces...or at least produce a different `look`. I guess size (or how far up or down you wear it) has a big effect too...Great hat though for the price, and nice photos Gentlemen :eusa_clap

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Jauntyone said:
Is there any difference in overall shape between the Whippet and the Hampton?

Been led to believe they are identical...at least in terms of crown/brim dimensions

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and just for the record, to show a sub $100 hat without the mug shot, and how fine a hat it is...the Whippet...

October2009008.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy