Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Hampton/Whippet

nulty

One of the Regulars
If you compare the two side by side on the everything australian website it appears that the whippet has a slightly larger brim by a scant fraction. The hampton appears to have a higher crown but it could just be the way the hats are bashed for the pics......

Both look like good choices if you are into the stingy brim, as I am.

I have looked at the Whippet several times and actually have the link bookmarked but after looking closer I think I'd go for either one....

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?id=2&cat=Akubra

schanop

New in Town
I have seen both hats and tried to compare the with my untrained eyes. Crown height and brim size seem to be the same. The only two differences that I could pick up were the ribbon size and bash. They have very similar but slightly different bash, just a little shape here and there. And it's the Hampton (I think) that has a slightly wider ribbon.

Akubra has another stingy fedora in similar style called Turin. I posed some pictures of it earlier here.

Cheers, Chanop

theprofessor

New in Town
details directly from hats direct

Crown heights are the same but the Whippet has a closer pinch. This is because it has a narrower bash at the top, the Hampton has a slightly broader bash. On the whole only subtle differences.

cheers,
Deb

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Akubra's thyme green and glade green

I'm trying to decide between the Akubra Hampton in thyme green or the Akubra Whippet in glade green.Unfortunately I can't seem to find any pictures of these hats showing showing the colors.So I'm not quite sure what to expect color wise.Does anyone have a picture of Akubra in thyme green or glade green?
If no one has any pictures will someone please describe these Akubra green colors?For example is the thyme green a dark forest green color?Is glade green a much lighter shade of green than thyme?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
http://www.yatesmenswear.com.au/onlineproducts/akubra/whippet.html

whippet.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
What is the Akubra Whippet? A stingy version of the real thing? Or totally different specs in the crown area?

It looks to be a stingy, miniature version of the whippet. It's a really smart-looking hat!

Neophyte

Here's something that may help. I found these pics on Ebay.

Akubra Whippet:
Akubra20Whippet20115.jpg

Akubra Hampton:
Akubra20Hampton20115.jpg

...and an Akubra Bogart for comparison:
Akubra20Bogart20115.jpg

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
This thread, post #7:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46606

It seems to be a slightly brigher shade of green than Willow Green, like my Squatter. It seems very rich, and I'm sure you'll love it.
Thanks for the info.Now I know what to expect with an Akubra thyme green,bluegrass green,and fern green.I like the look of thyme.
How about Akubra's glade green?What does the glade color look like?Is it a brighter shade of green than thyme?

Neophyte

I'll have your answer in about a half hour, if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Someone somewhere might contribute that ubiquitous link to Akubra's color swatch page.

EDIT: After searching for a while now, I've come to the conclusion that there are no photographic depictions of Glade Green on the internet. If there's a description of the color, it has also eluded me. I'm thinking if you're really determined, you ought to email Akubra directly and request a photo or color comparison.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Green is hands down one of my favorite hat colors. I'd imagine, though, that Glade Green isn't too different from Akubra's other greens, and is most likely one of their other greens with a different name. I think a smaller hat like the Whippet or Hampton would benefit from a striking color.

I'd say go for the Whippet, be the first person on the Lounge with a Glade Green Akubra, and post pics lol!

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
Someone somewhere might contribute that ubiquitous link to Akubra's color swatch page.

EDIT: After searching for a while now, I've come to the conclusion that there are no photographic depictions of Glade Green on the internet. If there's a description of the color, it has also eluded me.
I'd say go for the Whippet, be the first person on the Lounge with a Glade Green Akubra, and post pics lol!
I couldn't find any pictures or descriptions either.The Akubra color swatch chart doesn't show glade green. http://www.akubra.com.au/catalogues.html
I found pictures of a glade green car.http://www.californiacars.com/cardb/details.php?id=599 Perhaps the Whippet glade will end up looking like that shade of green.lol
I noticed the color swatch chart shows a nice shade of blue called lagoon.Too bad the Hampton or Whippet doesn't come in lagoon blue.
I think I'll go with the Whippet in glade green.Thank you for searching.I appreciate all your help.

Neophyte

I just started hat-wearing this summer, and I've already 4 Akubra hats. I'm glad to share what I've learned so far, however little that actually is lol. You're very welcome :)

By the way, are you getting them special order via the 3-month wait, or have you found a retailer that has these hats in the green color?

Good luck and post pics!

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:
By the way, are you getting them special order via the 3-month wait, or have you found a retailer that has these hats in the green color?
I'm going to special order and wait three months.But I don't mind waiting because where I live wearing a fur felt seems to be out of the question this time of year.It gets about 112°F. Even very late at night it's still around 90°F.So I'm wearing straw hats right now.

Neophyte

:eek:

Makes sense. I can wear my Akubras in 100+ weather, as long as it's not too humid, but 112!?

Damn, I guess it's gonna be a while until we get to see it lol.
Oh well, when that hat eventually arrives I sincerely hope you like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails