Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra kiandra

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone and happy new year.

I have my eye on a Akubra kiandra but I'm not familiar with this style from Akubra. I'd appreciate any input regarding how this hat compares to other Akubra hats, like the cattleman, campdraft and other Akubra' when it comes to brim size, weight and any other comments about the kindara are appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your input!

I had a Kiandra for a spell. It is halfway from a western & an outback style, closer to tycoon creased western with just a trimmer brim width.
kiandra1.jpg

kiandra2.jpg

I sold it since I have other westerns & like the Boss of the Plains & Bushman over it for taller crowns.
I had a cattleman also but didn't care for its low crown as well. HTH....

swd

New in Town
Hello. I'm new around here, but this seems like as good a place to jump in as any. I have a Kiandra that I bought from David Morgan. I initially bought the Kiandra because it was available in Sand color and seemed to be (in photos) a good "middle of the road" hat. I would also describe it as gtdean did above, with a decent crown height (4-4.5") and a useful brim for sun shade (mine is just at 3 1/8"), but not overbearing. I did pinch the front of the crown a bit tighter than the stock pinch and it ended up looking just like the one in the photo above. I prefer the tighter pinch, and it was easy enough to do. I have an Akubra Angler, which has a bit lower crown and the brim is just under 3", and it is now residing on my wife's side of the shelf. She likes it, and the color, better than I do. The "fawn" color on the Angler is really a fairly dark gray, and I wanted something lighter in color for here in the South. The Kiandra is the same weight felt, and fills my needs perfectly. It is close in weight and feel to my older Stetsons (from the 70's), and suits me better than any of the modern Stetsons I have seen in the same price range. So far the Kiandra has been rained upon and knocked about a bit, but it is none the worse for wear. I figure that it will be around for quite a while. I am going to fit it with a chin strap and use it as my "storm" hat, as I have some other hats that I want to keep as clean as I can for dressier wear. Interestingly enough, I find it to be cooler on my head than my shantung Resistol Big Spender. It just seems to breath better. I don't wear the "straw" western hat much at all any more. I think the Kiandra is an excellent hat that is quite at home in the outdoors. I would not call it a dress or city hat, but I live in a rural area and it fits in just fine for me. Sorry, but I don't have any fedora styles to compare it with, as I don't really wear "city" hats. Hope this helps.

Steve

new2hats

A-List Customer
I have a Kiandra and I love it too. People confuse it as a western hat, and it is kind of westerny, just not with a Cattlemans profile. It is heavier than my other hats. Sand is more like Taupe. I bought mine from Everything Australian, and it does not look exactly like yours, get dean. When I get home, will take a photo...

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Thanks to GT also! I'm going for it. I need a hiking hat, storm hat is a great way to put it. It may be a little large so I have to ask what you pad your hats with to bring the size down?

jmclfrsh

New in Town
I've used foam strips 1/4" thick that you can get at a hardware store (weatherstripping) but also recommended is taking a paper towel, cut in half if it is a full-size sheet, then folded over several times to about the same width of the sweatband and placed behind it.

That also is good as it keeps sweat from getting to the felt. When the band shrinks, as it will do from the sweat, take the paper towel strips out and it should be good to go.

I've always read on here that you want to go up one size anyway, then allow it to shrink to fit. I've purchased four new Arubras in the last couple of months (two Cattlemen, a dark brown and Sand; a lighter brown Plainsman I reshaped to a Cattleman shape; and a light gray Coober Pedy) all one size larger and had great luck using the paper towel strips. I am a Size 58 and they are all 59s.

I'm a long oval so I experiment with placing different thicknesses in different places, some along the sizes, some in front and back, and any combination thereof until they fit me correctly. I've also combined a foam strip and paper towel strip along the sides to make it fit a little better.

The dark Cattleman has been worn the most, probably 8 times or so as I rotate them, and it is coming in nicely. I've removed most of the padding already.

Best of luck with your new Akubra! My four are the only "real" hats I have other than about 70 ball caps and three will crushers I started out with 8 or so years ago but rarely wore. I'm glad I started out with this brand, and they are nice hats at a good price.

Thanks to GT also! I'm going for it. I need a hiking hat, storm hat is a great way to put it. It may be a little large so I have to ask what you pad your hats with to bring the size down?

My pleasure Pete.
To pad my lids, I go to craft dept of Wally World & buy white felt squares for about 50 cents each. I cut these in strips & put behind the sweatband.
They don't bleed dye when you sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner