Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

jec

One of the Regulars
Fast, excellent service from Everything Australian

I just received my Stylemaster from Everything Australian. It arrived exactly 18 days after I submitted my payment (using Paypal). Before I placed the order, Sam's responses to my email inquiries were prompt and informative. I have nothing but praise for Everything Australian.

Now what hat should I order next?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NonEntity said:
Well, Bob, that's interesting.

Right now Everything Australian shows the BP to be $125 (Australian) and $22.80 (Australian) for the least expensive S & H--10 days. I filled out everything through the online checkout process except my credit card info, and it never did give me the cost in U.S. dollars--a serious problem. "Throw another MasterCard on the barbie, mate!"

Do the numbers you provide reflect the same price as now, only translated into the conversion ratio at the time you ordered? If so, those prices are extremely attractive, only 56% of DM's delivered price but 2.5 times the delivery time.

Other folks here on FL have ordered stuff from EA and had all kinds of problems ranging from getting the wrong color hat to months upon months of delays with no response when they wanted to cancel the order and get their money back. Others have had no problems at all.

The price I quoted above is a bit less than the current price, but I believe that is because the Australian dollar has come back a bit.

I have ordered previously from Sam Menche at Everything Australian and have had no problems with him or his hats other than the wait time, but that isn't really a problem if you know about it going in.

I currently have two hats on order from EA, the Banjo and a campdraft. I expect that both will be delivered as promised.

RBH

Bartender
jecoe@earthlink said:
I just received my Stylemaster from Everything Australian. It arrived exactly 18 days after I submitted my payment (using Paypal). Before I placed the order, Sam's responses to my email inquiries were prompt and informative. I have nothing but praise for Everything Australian.

Now what hat should I order next?
Great!!

As to an answer ... THE CAMPDRAFT!!!!!!!

jec

One of the Regulars
Wow. That's nearly unanimous.
Thank you all for your suggestion that I get a Campdraft next... but for my taste, the Campdraft has too high a crown for my my size and frame (and I know it's almost sacrilegious to say that here) - Maybe my preferences will evolve over time. At them moment, however, I'm thinking of a Banjo as my next Akubra...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
rrog said:
Hey Woodfluter,
Have you got any pics of the Banjo Paterson? I like the looks of it online, but would also like to see it on someone before I jump in and order one. Thanks if you've got it.

Rick

Good grief! I ought to remember to check back on these threads after I post some of my usual drivel...

Sorry guys! Here are some pictures, and I hope they help. None on my head...will await daylight for that.

Done with flash (alas!) rather than daylight, so the colors are just a bit off from what you'd ordinarily see, even after tweaking them with software, but they are at least pretty close. Bear in mind that the charcoal color really has a bit more brown in daylight. It is somewhere between a very dark brown and a dark gray - in daylight. But this is at least close.

1. Federation dark brown on left, charcoal Banjo Paterson in center, black Akubra Rodeo to the right.

2. Banjo P. from front.

3. Banjo P. from side.

Again, sorry for the delay and lighting quality! As said, I like this hat a lot, have used it a lot, and wish Akubra offered more hats in charcoal.

- Bill P.

BobC

Thanks for posting those Banjo pics, Bill. I appreciate seeing them. I ordered a heritage fawn Banjo, but the only pictures I've seen are the ones posted on various Akubra retailers' websites. It's always helpful to see pics of the hat in the wild, if you know what I mean. is it possible you could post some with the hat on your head?

I think I'm going to like this one. It's different than anything else I have.

jec

One of the Regulars
Bill-
Thanks from me, too. I have never been certain what shade of gray the "charcoal" was. You have illustrated it perfectly. in spite of the flash effect... Although, since I just got a mid-gray Stylemaster, I am probably in the market for a fawn BP, rather than the charcoal. Thanks again for posting the photos.

NonEntity

Suspended
I'm going to get a Stylemaster from EA while they're practically giving them away. Might get a couple Akubras. Do I hear three? There's a motion on the floor for four, four going once, four going twice...

But I'm not settled on color, just that I want an earth tone.

If anyone here has a Stylemaster in Acorn Fawn, I'd appreciate your posting pics or at least linking me to a web site with a decent view of that color.

Is this hat offered in any other earth tones? If so, what? And ditto above.

Thanx

G MAN

One of the Regulars
BobC, I have these two pic's of my Banjo Paterson

DSC02690.jpg

AllPicturestillDec2006702.jpg

BobC

Thanks, G MAN. That does help, and it looks good on you. I like the casual look of this hat. It fits the bill very well with that leather jacket. And that cutie pie you're holding there compliments everything. :)

I had looked at the Banjo a while back and decided not to get one, but with prices the way they are now I just couldn't resist - my resistance is low anyway. I'm sure I'm going to like this one. All of my other hats have grosgrain ribbons - this will be my first with a leather band.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Per the request of Jecoe, BobC and rrog, here are some quick pictures of my Banjo Paterson "in the wild". G-man, yours looks great too, can't go wrong with that color either.

- Bill

BobC

Thanks for posting those, Bill. it's so much easier to judge the appearance of a hat when it's displayed where it's meant to be. I like both colors and your's look great.

I'm glad I ordered this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou