Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

rrog

A-List Customer
Tone said:
Another Bushman w/ bound edge removed.

If you have time, can you tell how you removed the binding? Did you just cut the threads and pull it off or did you cut the felt itself, on the inside of the thread holes, etc?

Thanks,
rrog

Tone

A-List Customer
rrog said:
If you have time, can you tell how you removed the binding? Did you just cut the threads and pull it off or did you cut the felt itself, on the inside of the thread holes, etc?

Thanks,
rrog

Hi, Rrog,

I just trimmed the edge (cut the felt itself; just inside of the binding - crownside). It was actually much easier to follow the binding as a guide than eyeballing a normal brim. It came out even simply from tracing inside that edge. It's a generous enough brim that it still leaves a decent crown/brim ratio without becoming heavy on either aspect.

It's a great looking hat as it comes but trimming off that edge didn't take too much away from its aesthetic.

bushmanedgetrimta7.jpg

Fine sandpaper helps even out any misguided snips but tracing the edge should give a pretty clean result on this one.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Well guys, I've decided to get an Akubra Federation from Hatsdirect.. However I'm a bit leary about which size to get. My head measures 59, so I wear a 7 3/8 in everything. I know some people say it's normal for Akubras to be a bit big at first due to the fact that they shrink to your head, but I've read other people complaining that the hat runs so big it practically slides to their nose. What would you all suggest? I think the best idea would be getting my regular size, I don't want to wind up with a size that initially fits snug then is way too tight.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I remember buying my first Akubra and I thought it was mis-sized. I wear a 57 and it wore like a 58. One wearing for a couple of hours was all it took to size itself into a great fit ..... Akubras have a wire in the sweatband and I think that the shrinking has to do with that wire moving tighter where it joins together. I believe it moves to conform to your head. ... Anybody else?

portolan

A-List Customer
Tone, I really like that hat.....A couple of questions...

Did it come with that wide ribbon, or did you replace it?
I assume since it is on this thread it is an Akubra, is that right?
The only one I can find online is sold here in the states for $120 and has a thin ribbon. Are there other options? (Feel free to PM if that is better).
I really like that hat a lot....would love some more details. Great color..

One more thing, I see several listings that use the intials DM....what does that stand for? Sorry if that is a dumb question, I can't quite figure it out....Phil

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
DM = David Morgan, long-time major importer of Akubra hats to the US (and their main US sales agent). I believe you saw that hat at their site.

Morgan's Akubras often seem to be finished a bit differently, in terms of bands and chinstrap holes, than the same hats from the Aussie dealers.

Oh, and re sizing, I have to agree with what's been said: all of my Akubras have seemed a half-size large when new. After putting some sizing strips under the sweatband to start, and four or five good sweaty wearings, the sweatband quickly shrinks to conform to size. (I don't really think it's due to the reed in the sweatband, though. Its function is more to make the sweatband "float" in, away from the body of the hat.)

Tone

A-List Customer
portolan said:
Did it come with that wide ribbon, or did you replace it?
I assume since it is on this thread it is an Akubra, is that right?
The only one I can find online is sold here in the states for $120 and has a thin ribbon. Are there other options? (Feel free to PM if that is better).
I really like that hat a lot....would love some more details. Great color..

One more thing, I see several listings that use the intials DM....what does that stand for? Sorry if that is a dumb question, I can't quite figure it out....Phil

Thanks, RBH.

Thank you, Portolan.

Yes, it is the same Akubra Bushman from David Morgan's site that comes with a thinner ribbon, chinstrap grommets, and the bound edge. I replaced the ribbon as thin ribbons don't work well on me. So far the only one I can find has been the Bushman from David Morgan in that color. Just dark enough not to be khaki and just light enough not to be brown, but a nice medium somewhere in between.

There is still some speculation that the Bushman and the Campdraft are actually the same hat in respect to the shape, but the Campdrafts look a bit taller and wider to me from what I can tell so far. They may very well be the same hat but there does seem to be a difference in the end results between the two. If they are the same hat the Campdrafts offer a wider array of colors whereas the Bushman seems available only in Nullarbor Tan. Looking at Colby Jack's, however, it does make me think there are differences between the two, even if slight. The Bushman might be slightly shorter in the crown.

I like what you went with on the brim of that latest hat, btw.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
There is still some speculation that the Bushman and the Campdraft are actually the same hat in respect to the shape, but the Campdrafts look a bit taller and wider to me from what I can tell so far.
Although there is a difference in lined/unlined; the Bushman @ David Morgan and the Squatter @ Everything Austrailian both mention being the original Akubra...the brim is 3.25" and bound on both and the crown height is not overly tall, either. Not necessarily an answer, but my guess would be that the bushman is modded specifically for DM from the squatter

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Thanks! It is my wife's favorite, as well. :) It is an inexpensive wool felt by The Outback Trading Company called the Trailblazer and is part of the Broken Hills Collection. Very stiff brim...I am waiting on the arrival of an Akubra Tablelands in Brown Olive that is similar in style. She loves the Aussie Country hat styles and I love the excuse to buy another hat, especially when I'm able to combine purchases with a black Stylemaster, too :rolleyes:
BHills.jpg

Thanks again for saying so...Hoss

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
First Akubra, and almost first hat

My Stylemaster in Acorn Fawn arrived today, from EverythingAustralian. It shipped on the 3rd (Australian) and got to me nine days later with the standard shipping. Not a bad wait at all, and for under $70, it can't be beat!

It's already been out in the Northwest rain while I cleared the Autumn leaves out of the gutters on our street...a quick way to sweat it in! I'm extremely happy with this hat.

In fact, a couple days prior I'd just acquired a 60's vintage gray Stetson Sovereign with a two inch brim and a two inch black ribbon from an auction, and although the hat is quite nice I didn't think it suited me, to the point where I was wondering if I was one of those guys who doesn't "fit" hats. The Akubra has done the trick for me, I think.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
TopGumby, may I ask when you ordered your Stylemaster? I have one on order with EverythingAustralian and the wait is killing me!

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Spats McGee said:
TopGumby, may I ask when you ordered your Stylemaster? I have one on order with EverythingAustralian and the wait is killing me!

Oct. 27, but there was a short delay while my bank confirmed that I was spending money in Australia.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hoss & da Posse said:
Thanks! It is my wife's favorite, as well. :) It is an inexpensive wool felt by The Outback Trading Company called the Trailblazer and is part of the Broken Hills Collection. Very stiff brim...I am waiting on the arrival of an Akubra Tablelands in Brown Olive that is similar in style. She loves the Aussie Country hat styles and I love the excuse to buy another hat, especially when I'm able to combine purchases with a black Stylemaster, too :rolleyes:
BHills.jpg

Thanks again for saying so...Hoss
Hoss...lookin' really good...Can't wait to see that olive brown...:eusa_clap

Spats McGee

One Too Many
TopGumby said:
Oct. 27, but there was a short delay while my bank confirmed that I was spending money in Australia.
I was just about to start grumbling about the fact that I orderered mine ~Sept. 18, but haven't received it, but then 2 things happened. (1) I remembered that the Acorn Fawn is a stock color, and that mid-brown (which I ordered) is not; and (2) I got an email from Everything Australian saying that mine has shipped.

After that, all seemed right with the world once again. Now if I can just make it through the shipping time. . .

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
portolan said:
hat.....terrific combination!
No doubt! I have tried to force the 3 month wait out of mind, hoping that I ordered "lucky" and caught the special order cycle just right, but so far, no emails bearing good news [huh] I will post the brown olive hat for sure and hopefully get the color to show true

MattJH

One Too Many
For whatever it's worth, I've owned a Traveler, Casual, Federation III, Federation IV, Sydney Fedora, Stylemaster and Cattleman. I wear a 7 5/8 and these were all 61cm. They all fit identically except for the Cattleman, which was slightly too tight, mostly because of the inflexibility of the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic