Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

indycop

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
:eek: You're trying to tempt me, aren't you? You know how many hats I have coming already. lol
Noooo I'm trying to save YOU money by getting it now instead of paying more then. :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

Or do you want me to jedi mind trick? Bob you want that hat, you must get that hat....:whip: :whistling shhhhhhhh

carter

I'll Lock Up
If you're still on the rabbit-proof fence

THe Australian $ opened lower against the US $ on Monday morning [in Australia] than it closed on Friday.

At 0700 AEDT, the Australian dollar was trading at $US0.6195/97, down almost two US cents from Friday's close of $US0.6388/94.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Or do you want me to jedi mind trick? Bob you want that hat, you must get that hat....:whip: :whistling shhhhhhhh

No need, no need. I'm easy as it is. I was looking at Everything Australian AGAIN, and I revisited a hat I looked at before and decided to pass up then. Anybody have a Banjo Patterson?

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking at the Blue Mountains ($68.02 US) or the Plainsman ($64.92 US) in bluegrass green at HatsDirect. This could be the day.

Blue Mountains in Sorrel Tan (Bluegrass Green is shown as available but photo doesn't load)
bluemountains-sorreltan-large.jpg

Plainsman in Bluegrass Green
plainsman-bluegrassgreen-large.jpg

jec

One of the Regulars
Banjo

BobC said:
No need, no need. I'm easy as it is. I was looking at Everything Australian AGAIN, and I revisited a hat I looked at before and decided to pass up then. Anybody have a Banjo Patterson?

That's a hat I've had my eye on for years, but it's always been one of the priciest of the Akubras - at least as they are offered by USA dealers.

So I second your question: anyone got one? Photos to post?

BobC

jecoe@earthlink said:
That's a hat I've had my eye on for years, but it's always been one of the priciest of the Akubras - at least as they are offered by USA dealers.

So I second your question: anyone got one? Photos to post?

The Banjo is heritage quality felt, the same felt the Fed Deluxe is made of. I presume it has the better quality sweatband as well. That accounts for it's being pricier. But Everything Australian has it for $77.65 US now. I have a heritage fawn colored Fed Deluxe, and I like the hat very well and the color. There is no indication of a 3 month wait on Everything Australian's website for the heritage fawn color.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Here are my Akubras-
swordandhats021.jpg

This is my $10.50 Snowy River with a.....modified Montana crease, sorta.
swordandhats019.jpg

Here is a slouch I got for a friend who formerly lived in N.Z.-note the WWII era badge. This hat needed some TLC! It's in good nick now!
swordandhats016.jpg

swordandhats018.jpg

And here's my own slouch with the Australian Royal Artillery badge with a slider 'cos I like to wear the brim down all 'round.
swordandhats010.jpg

swordandhats015.jpg

Of course they both have just the standard safari or military bash.
Hopefully in a few days I'll be adding a Fed IV to this country-ish collection!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Everything Australian's website

BobC said:
The Banjo is heritage quality felt, the same felt the Fed Deluxe is made of. I presume it has the better quality sweatband as well. That accounts for it's being pricier. But Everything Australian has it for $77.65 US now. I have a heritage fawn colored Fed Deluxe, and I like the hat very well and the color. There is no indication of a 3 month wait on Everything Australian's website for the heritage fawn color.

Bob, What website are you looking at? The only Akubra I see on the Everything Australian website is the Snowy River. Am I missing something? Please post a link. Thanks, Carter

BobC

carter said:
Bob, What website are you looking at? The only Akubra I see on the Everything Australian website is the Snowy River. Am I missing something? Please post a link. Thanks, Carter

There ya go, carter. TopGumby has it for you. :eek:fftopic: Did you ever get your Nostalgia back with a bound brim? If so, will you post some pictures of it, maybe in the Nostalgia thread? Thanks.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Colby Jack said:
Daoud...The slouch is great!...any pics of it on yer noggin?:eusa_clap
Nah- wasn't anyone around to hold the camera- I need to figure out how to work the timer on that thing.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Thanks y'all for the compliments- the slouch is kinda iconic. It doesn't go with just anything though:D ! Goes well with my usual summer duds- you also have to be prepared for some really ignorant comments from yokels when you wear one of these- "Who're you supposed to be? Crocodile Dundee, har har har!"
Just like the Indy comments people get when they wear a fedora.......

Michael Bonner

New in Town
Akubras in long oval

I've been informed by everythingaustralian that campdraft and squatter models are available in long oval sizes, by special order (3 month wait).

Woodfluter

Practically Family
BobC said:
/// I was looking at Everything Australian AGAIN, and I revisited a hat I looked at before and decided to pass up then. Anybody have a Banjo Patterson?

Hi BobC (and jecoe) -

The Banjo Paterson was the first Akubra I've had, and it remains one of the two that I wear most often. Got it in charcoal, a color distinctly brown and not gray, but a dark brown. I like it a lot. Of course, shorter and more tapered crown than the Federation or most of the kind of fedoras popular here, but it sits on my head nicely! The brim width is just right for me, most of the time. This comes in Heritage quality felt, one of the few offerings in that grade (they don't use the same name for hats with different felts). The Heritage looks smoother, has a nice hand and softens up well.

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner