Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Everything Australian has a 10% off Store Wide the next 3 days , coupon Code : SALE , at check out . I just ordered a Woomera in Sand . Thought about another , but I didn't . Plus the exchange rate is the lowest its been in a while . Good time to add to the Akubra OVERLOAD !

Everything Australian has a 10% off Store Wide the next 3 days , coupon Code : SALE , at check out . I just ordered a Woomera in Sand . Thought about another , but I didn't . Plus the exchange rate is the lowest its been in a while . Good time to add to the Akubra OVERLOAD !

Thanks to the sale and the strength of the $US, I'm awaiting a BGGCD.

Sent directly from my mind to yours

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
The Woomera Shipped , 6 days (the notice from EA said expected to ship 6-9 days) but no tracking number . I heard to use leave {no} or the insurance wouldn't be valid . Hope I'm here .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Guess What Showed Up Today ?!

IMG_1096.JPG

Yep ! The Woomera !!!

IMG_1094.jpg

wedgetail

New in Town
Sorry on the absence guys, still overseas and was frantic leading up to it... I actually thought I'd posted a recent photo but it seems I was mistaken. And I don't have my phone so can't now. But it's final shape is pretty similar to the earlier ones pictured - I just pinched the sides of the bash in a little to make it more like the border. Like a canadian but the sides are closer so the ends sharper, I'll put one up when I'm back. It's not as clean though...

Very nice Michael - I'm envious! How are you planning on bashing it? Keeping the ribbon or putting a leather band on it? What about the brim?

I also received my Sombrero just before I left. Had a big fight with Steve the owner of Nungar Trading - he ended up giving me the discount he initially promised but I will never ever deal with him again... Once again photos when I can!

wedgetail

New in Town
You know , personally , I can't tell a lot of difference in vented and non-vented (could just be me) , but when its super hot the well vented straws seem better . I guess the vent holes may allow moisture to evaporate , which cools you off , but generally the felt Hats I've worn keep the frying sun off , and in winter the warmth in . Lighter colors are cooler in the sun though , and dark seems to absorb the light making them seem warmer . I've got both , but no noticeable difference to me , no big difference anyway .

These guys work in the heat (if this posts) and I'm not sure if I see a vent hole (can't recall) ...

But to me the one on the left looks like a Woomera , then a black Arena (maybe), and a ... ? I'm not sure , on the right . Light sand or crystal something , I think .
Yeah I've had both and in the heat I don't find much difference. I don't like the look of holes though... Felt hats are hotter than straw/hemp for sure but they are far better value for money as they last far far longer. As I said in the western thread, that (nicer than the others) hat on the left could well be a warrego

I ordered the fawn in the woomera and tawny in the cd. I had to go check since it's been a while. Pretty sure sign I have too many already. I picked a black drover yesterday on ebay too... it's a sickness, but I seem to wear my akubras more than any other hats .
way to go - what bash will you go for?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah I've had both and in the heat I don't find much difference. I don't like the look of holes though... Felt hats are hotter than straw/hemp for sure but they are far better value for money as they last far far longer. As I said in the western thread, that (nicer than the others) hat on the left could well be a warrego

I hadn't thought of that , you could be right wedgetail ! Different color ribbon , too . Holes let more dust in , too , that turns to mud mixed with sweat .

Seanieo

New in Town
Brand new here. I lurked and learned before I bought an Akubra. Wore the hell out of a Territory at work and broke down and bought a Banjo. Love these hats. What would the recommendation be for something a little more tradtional/formal as I work my way to a true fedora.

Seanieo

New in Town
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply gents. I've been dealing with Sam from Everything Australian. I don't see the Fed IV there. Who's the preferred provider?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Fed has less taper and a slightly shorter crown, unfinished dimensional brim and wider traditional ribbon and will cost more then the Camp Draft which is a bit taller, has slightly more taper, finished brim and a thinner ribbon. Both are favorites here and great choices. Some would consider the Fed a more traditional city Fedora vs the Camp Draft as being a bit more rural.

Seanieo

New in Town
That's a great looking hat. The price and shipping is a bit stepper what I'm used to, but damn that's a nice looking hat. How easy is it to put in your own "bash" and is hatsdirect anywhere
as stand up as Sam at EverythingAustrailian.

Seanieo

New in Town
I guess a Fed is on it's way. The mailman gets a kick when packages from Australia end up in my neighborhood. Thanks for the advice. Does hatsdirect ever have any sales or promos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner