Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Bashing is REALLY Easy , tea kettle and distilled water is about all you need . youtube vids , or Monster Bash Vids Thread on here will show you . But I'm with you on Heidi Lamar ! Oh yeah !

...and is hatsdirect anywhere as stand up as Sam at EverythingAustrailian.
I've ordered from both Hats Direct and Everything Australian, and the service has been excellent every time. In fact, the last time I ordered from Hats direct they sent me a Heritage Quality hat instead of the Imperial Quality I had ordered--correct model and color, but higher quality felt and approximately $30 more (at the time) than the hat I had ordered. When I informed them of the error, they replied saying, "Please go ahead and shape the hat to your liking and please accept this upgrade from us without further charge."

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Bashing is REALLY Easy , tea kettle and distilled water is about all you need . youtube vids , or Monster Bash Vids Thread on here will show you . But I'm with you on Heidi Lamar ! Oh yeah !

... that's Hedy Lamarr , I know . Spell check ? yeah ...

I've ordered from both Hats Direct and Everything Australian, and the service has been excellent every time. In fact, the last time I ordered from Hats direct they sent me a Heritage Quality hat instead of the Imperial Quality I had ordered--correct model and color, but higher quality felt and approximately $30 more (at the time) than the hat I had ordered. When I informed them of the error, they replied saying, "Please go ahead and shape the hat to your liking and please accept this upgrade from us without further charge."

That's Great Al ! Yeah they've been good to me , too , even though it seemed a long time , Hats Direct shipped , I got it in 9 Days . Everything Australian said 6-9 days on my particular Hat , shipped in 6 days , I had it in 2 weeks exactly . GREAT SERVICE BOTH !

I guess a Fed is on it's way. The mailman gets a kick when packages from Australia end up in my neighborhood. Thanks for the advice. Does hatsdirect ever have any sales or promos?

A little late to influence this time around, but I like to remind people that the Akubra Fedora (http://everythingaustralian.com.au/fedora.html) is also a fantastic open crown hat. Classic dimensions for a "city hat." This was my first Akubra, and Everything Australian, purchase, and it's still a fave hat. Michel's right, you will eventually get a Camp Draft (or two), but the Fedora (or Sydney, at other sites) doesn't get enough love around here and it deserves more.

... that's Hedy Lamarr , I know . Spell check ? yeah ...

That's Great Al ! Yeah they've been good to me , too , even though it seemed a long time , Hats Direct shipped , I got it in 9 Days . Everything Australian said 6-9 days on my particular Hat , shipped in 6 days , I had it in 2 weeks exactly . GREAT SERVICE BOTH !

With my recent BGGCD purchase, it was here in less than a week.

Oh, and...
hedleylamarr1.jpg

It's Hedley!! :D

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Then you'll jump on a Campdraft from www.everythingaustralian.com.au in Bluegrass Green or another color (everyone gets a Campdraft eventually).
This is a great suggestion. My favorite hat - running closely against the RM Williams hat.

Creasing is easy - just look up Jimmy The Lid's written tutorial on making a teardrop crease or one of several videos on YouTube. Roy Rogers' shower method of making his famous crease in a cowboy hat is my favorite and I use his method but adapt it to a crease similar to the one Jimmy Stewart used in his non-western hat.

Fed

Last edited:

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
New Akubra Coober Pedy, Regency Faun. I like the hat, but I'm not yet used to how it looks on me. For those of you who have not seen one in person, this is one whopping big hat! Makes my Campdraft look like a stingy brim! ;) Anyway, planned use is outdoor activities such as yard work, fly fishing, casual kicking around. Should fill the bill perfectly for these things.
_DSC1546-sm.jpg
_DSC1536-sm.jpg
_DSC1538-sm.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It looks great, Crusader. Interestingly I got one this week, too, and I love it, but it has a thin ribbon like the Campdraft, not the pretty leather one like yours. No matter, really, because I already had planned on replacing it with one that I got in Peru, so it's all good. But I do love this model of Akubra. I'm leaving next Saturday to go visit Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park, Canyonlands and Mesa Verde and I think this will be the perfect hat for the upcoming adventure.

Last edited:

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
It looks great, Crusader. Interestingly I got one this week, too, and I love it, but it has a thin ribbon like the Campdraft, not the pretty leather one like yours. No matter, really, because I already had planned on replacing it with one that I got in Peru, so it's all good. But I do love this model of Akubra. I'm leaving next Saturday to go visit Bryce Canyon, Arches National Park and Mesa Verse and I think this will be the perfect hat for the upcoming adventure.
Is yours Regency Faun too? I'd love to see it when you get your own ribbon installed. And, yes, these are perfect when you need maximum protection from the sun.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Great looking Coober Pebys. I love my wide brims. My Coolabah is my go to hat but for serious sun protection I go for my cattlemen every time (same brim width as the Coober Pebly) seriously tempted by the Riverina for my next hat.
Johnny

At first I felt my Cattleman brim was huge but now I am used to it, and I like it the way it is as it offers a good combination of size for coverage and style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
My new Coober Pedy in Santone Fawn.

Now I have it in BGG, Black, Sand and Santone, love'em all !!.

Funny thing is that when I got my first one, BGG, I tried it on an dislike it a lot, so it stayed on its box for 3 or 4 months, then one day it was raining so I decided to wear my "ugly" looking hat, but, but, but, this time I looked in the mirror and loved it !!! So much that I ordered it in Sand, loved it too, so here comes Black and Santone, love'em all !

They should make it in Moonstone and Glen Grey !!

0b579cb5495c6330528f3530f98a4a3f.jpg
29fa5d993fff7898c3700a04fa742083.jpg
d51dd47d76da0885b8e4e9a558679c25.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

addison

One of the Regulars
Then you'll jump on a Campdraft from www.everythingaustralian.com.au in Bluegrass Green or another color (everyone gets a Campdraft eventually).

I love the color (Bluegrass Green), but I live in a small town in the middle of NOWHERE. The nearest hat shop is HOURS away and I have no idea where I'd get the crown shaped. Being a newb, I'm a little insecure about buying an open crown hat and attempting to do it myself...suggestions?
Thanks Michael and God bless!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I love the color (Bluegrass Green), but I live in a small town in the middle of NOWHERE. The nearest hat shop is HOURS away and I have no idea where I'd get the crown shaped. Being a newb, I'm a little insecure about buying an open crown hat and attempting to do it myself...suggestions?
Thanks Michael and God bless!

It is So Easy you won't believe it . First measure your Head a inch (index finger width or so) above your eye borrows , and the same above your ears , where the Hat will rest to the nearest cm . If (like me) you're a 58.5 cm get 59 cm . When it comes to bashing , I play with mine dry first , then once I decide , get a tea kettle and distilled water . Get it doing to a full boil with plenty of steam . Most begin with a center dent crease , just straight from the middle of the Hat to the back and front as high or low as you like , then once you like it add steam , let it cool , or use a fan . Then modify according to what you like , add side dents wherever , once they're right , steam them , and cool . But even if you mess up , or decide to change it you can the same way . Steam just sets the creases and dents . There are bunches of vids on it on youtube , and here on the Monster Bash Thread . I live in the middle of Nowhere , also .
GOD Bless you addison , likewise ! Thanks !

Here's one from Kevin at Pork-Pie Hatters ...

There are more vids by Kevin and others , plus don't forget the Monster Bash Thread on here . Everyone has there favorite way , but they're similar , or begin in a similar way .

Last edited:

addison

One of the Regulars
It is So Easy you won't believe it . First measure your Head a inch (index finger width or so) above your eye borrows , and the same above your ears , where the Hat will rest to the nearest cm . If (like me) you're a 58.5 cm get 59 cm . When it comes to bashing , I play with mine dry first , then once I decide , get a tea kettle and distilled water . Get it doing to a full boil with plenty of steam . Most begin with a center dent crease , just straight from the middle of the Hat to the back and front as high or low as you like , then once you like it add steam , let it cool , or use a fan . Then modify according to what you like , add side dents wherever , once they're right , steam them , and cool . But even if you mess up , or decide to change it you can the same way . Steam just sets the creases and dents . There are bunches of vids on it on youtube , and here on the Monster Bash Thread . I live in the middle of Nowhere , also .
GOD Bless you addison , likewise ! Thanks !

Here's one from Kevin at Pork-Pie Hatters ...

There are more vids by Kevin and others , plus don't forget the Monster Bash Thread on here . Everyone has there favorite way , but they're similar , or begin in a similar way .

Thanks brother!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot