Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I like it in both colors, but I think the lighter color of the Heritage Fawn would be a better choice for the hot sunny days here in southern California.
I have both, the charcoal might be my least favorite Akubra shade, it lacks "life" in my opinion, while the Fawn is full of shine !!

Anyway fawn is way better for California.

All the best

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
IMG_767.jpg
IMG_766.jpg
I just completed a major overhaul of "O'Feral," my beloved Banjo Paterson. I removed the leather band due to mould, cleaned the felt and turned the hat around backwards to give some protection to a small hole that's formed. Then I rebashed it and put on a new band (prayer beads, actually). I made videos of most of the process, just posted in the "Monster bash videos" thread if anybody's interested. Here are a few photos of the finished product - I'm quite excited to have breathed some new life back into this old tired fellow. He's most likely going into semi-retirement at the end of this week but we've got one more boat ride, then a plane on Friday to the city where my brand new Fed IV is waiting on me! O'Feral may be going into semi-retirement, but he's going in style baby!

Cheers,
Nathan

RJR

View attachment 79559 View attachment 79558 I just completed a major overhaul of "O'Feral," my beloved Banjo Paterson. I removed the leather band due to mould, cleaned the felt and turned the hat around backwards to give some protection to a small hole that's formed. Then I rebashed it and put on a new band (prayer beads, actually). I made videos of most of the process, just posted in the "Monster bash videos" thread if anybody's interested. Here are a few photos of the finished product - I'm quite excited to have breathed some new life back into this old tired fellow. He's most likely going into semi-retirement at the end of this week but we've got one more boat ride, then a plane on Friday to the city where my brand new Fed IV is waiting on me! O'Feral may be going into semi-retirement, but he's going in style baby!

Cheers,
Nathan
Nice save.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Amazing what a little brim work will do! I love my new FED IV, but really missed the western style of the Banjo Paterson. Finally I decided to try a rodeo style brim on the FED. It doesn't take as well as I hoped but I'll try some water on it at some point. This hat has never seen a drop of water yet, though.

Here's before:
IMG_1053.JPG

And after:
IMG_1228.JPG

I really like this effect and hope to make it even more noticeable with some water. Anybody else done a western style with their FED?

Here are some close-ups:
IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Cheers,
Nathan

^ This is one of the reasons I enjoy visiting The Lounge. The Fed IV is one of my favorite modern production hats, but with it's "traditional fedora" looks it would probably never have occurred to me to shape the brim in anything other than the usual "snap brim" configuration. I really like the way yours looks with the "western/rodeo style" brim shape, and I might have to try that myself one of these days if I can ever decide which of my Fed IVs to modify. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." - Oscar Wilde

By the way, some water or steam will definitely help to lock in that shape.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
^ This is one of the reasons I enjoy visiting The Lounge. The Fed IV is one of my favorite modern production hats, but with it's "traditional fedora" looks it would probably never have occurred to me to shape the brim in anything other than the usual "snap brim" configuration. I really like the way yours looks with the "western/rodeo style" brim shape, and I might have to try that myself one of these days if I can ever decide which of my Fed IVs to modify. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." - Oscar Wilde

By the way, some water or steam will definitely help to lock in that shape.

Right Zombie, the slight brim modification really changes it up, doesn't it?

I searched a number of internet sites for "western-style Federation IV" and derivatives and didn't find a single photo of a non-urban FED IV (that hadn't been structurally modified, I should say). I think a little country-western suits the FED just fine and welcome all imitators ;). I wanna see what others can figure out to do with the FED - I reckon it has great untapped potentials!

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
I curled the brim sides on some hats by wetting the brim sides and placing the sides curled as I wanted them between 2 heavy books one on each side of the hat and let dry.

Excellent tip, Bob, thank you I'm gonna try it.
Now if I can just find some distilled water in Asia - they don't seem to know what it is here and certainly don't sell it in the local shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner