Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Great-looking hat and good choice of shaping, Gilgamark! You wear it well.

You have a fine hat there. Don't forget to beat the crap out of yours if you haven't already. My four Fed Deluxes are as soft (but firm) as a typical vintage hat, now. Plus wearing in all kinds of weather. These particular Akubras are very tough and a lot of handling is nothing but good for them. Cheers!

- Bill

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Woodfluter said:
Great-looking hat and good choice of shaping, Gilgamark! You wear it well.

You have a fine hat there. Don't forget to beat the crap out of yours if you haven't already. My four Fed Deluxes are as soft (but firm) as a typical vintage hat, now. Plus wearing in all kinds of weather. These particular Akubras are very tough and a lot of handling is nothing but good for them. Cheers!

- Bill

Will do. Thx.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
To Gilgamark and all you other Fed doffers,

The Fed doesn't float my boat since I prefer a snap brim but man I sure do enjoy all the pics and chatter. The Fed seems a fine hat!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
CRH said:
To Gilgamark and all you other Fed doffers,

The Fed doesn't float my boat since I prefer a snap brim but man I sure do enjoy all the pics and chatter. The Fed seems a fine hat!
You know, I was just thinking that today as I was wearing my one and only Fed IV...it's great but for the loose brim. If it were bound and had a snap to it, it would be perfect.

IndyCop has done some beautiful binding of his, but I'm nowhere near as skilled or talented to attempt that bit of surgery.

I've just ordered a Campdraft...I understand that the brim binding gives it a bit more life, if not full snap. We'll see.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
I've just ordered a Campdraft...I understand that the brim binding gives it a bit more life, if not full snap. We'll see.

It also aligns the stars and the moon and UFO's.

hpim06331.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Have you guys checked to see if there are any leftover Fed IIIs in your size? They have a snap brim.;)

Only in black :(. I will patiently await the resurrection* of the Fed lll. I'll take one in Moonstone, thank you :D.

*hint. hint.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
Only in black :(. I will patiently await the resurrection* of the Fed lll. I'll take one in Moonstone, thank you :D.

*hint. hint.
I wonder if someone could special order one with a snap brim. I would think they could just add more stiffener when they flange it at the factory.[huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:
IndyCop has done some beautiful binding of his, but I'm nowhere near as skilled or talented to attempt that bit of surgery.

Sadly or more like horifficly (SP) I learned the most painful lesson of brim binding on my fed. I made the stitching too close together (tight) and it effectively cut the brim in half at the front where I was snapping it down.:cry: :cry: :cry: I removed the binding and now I have a fed with a 2 1/4 inch brim.:( I have now done four brims and have learned alot but regret learning on that one...:eusa_doh: I will get another Tawny though.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
I usually like a snap brim, and I thought of working with this one to bring the back up. I've decided against it, though. No reason for all my hats to look the same . . .

Besides, this might give me an excuse to buy a moonstone Stylemaster.;)

Birdland

New in Town
Gigamark,

I really like your Fed IV bash. I am still working on shaping my Fed IV and I am not happy with the brim. I have been boiling water in a pot on the stove and directing the steam through a gap in the lid. What technique did you use to wet your hat and shape it, particularly the brim?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
:eek:
indycop said:
Sadly or more like horifficly (SP) I learned the most painful lesson of brim binding on my fed. I made the stitching too close together (tight) and it effectively cut the brim in half at the front where I was snapping it down.:cry: :cry: :cry: I removed the binding and now I have a fed with a 2 1/4 inch brim.:( I have now done four brims and have learned alot but regret learning on that one...:eusa_doh: I will get another Tawny though.

As night follows day...just like sands thru the hourglass.....:D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
:eek:
indycop said:

As night follows day...just like sands thru the hourglass.....:D

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Birdland said:
Gigamark,

I really like your Fed IV bash. I am still working on shaping my Fed IV and I am not happy with the brim. I have been boiling water in a pot on the stove and directing the steam through a gap in the lid. What technique did you use to wet your hat and shape it, particularly the brim?

Distlilled water in a small spray bottle. I wet the top first and bashed it. Then I wet the sides for the dents and did those. Lastly I wet the front of the brim, from the crown all the way to the tip, then pulled it down as far as I could. After that, I set it in a safe place and let it dry, which didn't take long at all.

I soaked the felt pretty well - not saturated, but wet enough so that the felt was pliable. Actually, it was like putty.

My wife makes felt scultpures, buttons, etc. She prefers water to steam. It's easier to control.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Have you guys checked to see if there are any leftover Fed IIIs in your size? They have a snap brim.;)

Hats Direct has a Fed III in my size, but I'm wondering: How wide is the brim on the Fed III?

I like some flange to my brim (I snap it down in the front).

Goose.

Practically Family
skyvue said:
Hats Direct has a Fed III in my size, but I'm wondering: How wide is the brim on the Fed III?

I like some flange to my brim (I snap it down in the front).
Hey Skyvue...

Check out post #16 of this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=671901#post671901

Woodfluter did a great job on the comparison between the III and IV. Also states that the brims are the same (63x70mm = 2.48"x2.75").

jlagman

New in Town
I'm all but ready to take the plunge; with all of the Fed IV arrival threads and my dissappointment with my Christys' Adventurer, I've got my sights set on a couple Fed IV Dlxs.

While the Adventurer looks good from far, it's far from good; I can't get over the spotty felt, glued in liner, and especially the conspicuous stitches holding the grosgrain in place. :rage:

I'm sure the Akubras are superior quality, I'd just like someone to confirm with a picture of the Akubra ribbons, particularly any areas where stitching may appear visible.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Hey Skyvue...

Check out post #16 of this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=671901#post671901

Woodfluter did a great job on the comparison between the III and IV. Also states that the brims are the same (63x70mm = 2.48"x2.75").

The brims are not the same. The Federation III brim is bigger than the IV - or at least, it was. My older (circa 2003) Fed III measures 2-7/8 x 2-3/4 (73x70).

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Sorry to hear that, IC...but learning process; you sacrificed one and saved the others! The photos you posted looked fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn