Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Here's a shot of my Fed IV right after I bashed it.
It looks just fine to me when I look in the mirror but then when I see myself in a picture it looks like it could be better if I raised the crown a bit in the front.
DSC06350.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
G MAN said:
It looks just fine to me when I look in the mirror but then when I see myself in a picture it looks like it could be better if I raised the crown a bit in the front.
DSC06350.jpg

I agree, a bit higher in the front probably would look better. It's a great looking hat tho!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
G MAN said:
DSC06350.jpg

I can barley type since I'm trying to keep my hands up... I saw your hat and assumed it was a bank robbery. I guess I didn't actually see a Tommy Gun lol.

Goose.

Practically Family
CRH said:
I can barley type since I'm trying to keep my hands up... I saw your hat and assumed it was a bank robbery. I guess I didn't actually see a Tommy Gun lol.
lol lol lol lol
"REACH FOR THE SKY!!!!"
Yep, here's my lunch money, G Man, sir!

Hey, reminds me, I was wearing my moonestone and someone called me a "G Man". ;)

Anyway, looks ok to me G Man. As previously posted, I wear mine kind of low too. 4.25" front and 3.25" rear.

Just wanted to chime in with a chuckle on CRH's post and to let you know that I think your lid looks A-okay.

501294938_ztFed-Ti.jpg

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Bank robber eh, How do you think I pay for my hats?
I raised the front up to 4.25" and it does look better.
Now reach for the sky.

DSC06373.jpg

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Another new Akubra - this time my wife's Akubra Ascot:

ulla_akubra_ascot.jpg

And, yes, she's breaking all the rules by smiling!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Fed VS DM Adventurer

Does any one have both a brown Fed and a DM Adventurer? If so, how do the browns differ, and can we get side by side shots of them for comparison?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Wolfwood said:
Another new Akubra - this time my wife's Akubra Ascot:

ulla_akubra_ascot.jpg

And, yes, she's breaking all the rules by smiling!
Did I mention she rocks this hat?...If not, then...She rocks this hat!
Now...what color is it and it resembles their other hat, the CEO.:eusa_clap

innisart

New in Town
Akubra Recommendations?

Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the Lounge. Originally I joined to learn information about cleaning a dusty, old, straw boater, but now I'm thinking about buying a decent first hat (what a difference a week makes).

I have two cheap off brand poly hats, a fedora and a porkpie, but I am now thinking of getting a felt hat, and it seems like Akubra is a good place to start.

As I'm new to hats, I'm still shying away from anything with a somewhat high crown, or too wide a brim (honestly, I'm not sure they look right on me), and I was wondering what everyone here would recommend. The posts are great, but a little overwhelming to a newbie, and with so many images no longer functional, I can't always get an idea of how certain hats look.

For a casual/semi-formal(?) hat I was thinking the Stylemaster in steel gray.

For an all-around hat, maybe the Tablelands? Does anyone have that, and how does it differ from the Cattleman? How about the Jackaroo?

And just for fun- a Jive Master

I'm thinking one (or two) hat(s), to start, but I'm afraid I'll end up with millinery addiction, and eventually get more anyway!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
innisart said:
...(honestly, I'm not sure they look right on me), and I was wondering what everyone here would recommend. ...

Well, I have a couple of wide brimmed hats to show you, a Squatter and a Campdraft. I'll post side by side shots tomorrow. It's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

Don't worry about looking right. These days it seems that everybody is looking left :p.

Good morning Ladies.

harry-truman-tips-his-hat-nyc-1960.jpg

And good morn'n to you too, Mr. President!

Goose.

Practically Family
innisart said:
For a casual/semi-formal(?) hat I was thinking the Stylemaster in steel gray.

For an all-around hat, maybe the Tablelands? Does anyone have that, and how does it differ from the Cattleman? How about the Jackaroo?

And just for fun- a Jive Master

I'm thinking one (or two) hat(s), to start, but I'm afraid I'll end up with millinery addiction, and eventually get more anyway!

So far as your request for a recommendation. I'd probably be the last to add value. But, I wanted to welcome you...so..."howdy" Innisart.

I came here via google while searching for tips on how to fix up my ill-cared for Panamas and reshaping my Sydney. It all starts so innocently.

You are in denial. Admit that you are already addicted. I saw that movie "Reefer Madness" when I was in Jr. High School. So, I can only blame myself.
It only takes one hit.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
innisart...

The Stylemaster is an excellent choice for your first proper fedora! I love mine: its dimensions aren't too extreme, and it felt absolutely right from the moment I put it on (which is definitely not always the case when buying long distance!)

The one thing I would counsel is that the Steel Grey (aka Mid-Grey) is considerably darker than it looks in all the pictures on the dealer sites: it reads as black in anything less than full sunlight or very bright interior lighting. Thus, it works a bit better as a formal hat than as a casual hat... the lighter Moonstone Grey may be a better choice for casual use, unless you really like the black-hat look.

Stylemaster in Steel Grey/Mid-Grey in bright sun:
stylem2.jpg

I also have a Federation (the older III model, which is larger than the current IV) and I feel that it's just too damn big for me in both the height of the crown and the 2-7/8 by 2-3/4 brim. I am nowhere near as comfortable wearing it as I am the Stylemaster.

Federation III in Mid-Brown:
indyhat1.jpg

And you've surely seen that there's a lot of love here for the Campdraft. I don't have one of these, but keep in mind that it's also quite substantial in terms of the brim and crown. But if you really want a big fedora, both the Federation and the Campdraft are great choices.

Regarding the country hats, I just want to point out that the 3-1/4 brim on most of them is quite wide. I have a Cattleman (my summer hiking hat) that I feel is too big for ordinary wear, at least in this non-western hat part of the country. I feel very self-conscious in it when I'm not in the woods. I also have a Stockman (my winter hiking hat) and its 2-3/4 brim is considerably less extreme.

Cattleman in Sand/Silverbelly:
CATLMN1.JPG

Stockman in Glen Grey:
STOCKMN1.JPG

Anyway, good luck - you can't go wrong with Akubras! They are outstanding values in the current market, and are mega-tough hats that will give you decades of service!

innisart

New in Town
Thanks, and keep 'em comin'!

Goose- I recognize you... you're an enabler. If I hung out with you too much, I'd need a warehouse for my hat collection. But speaking of enabling... how's the Sydney? That looks like a nice hat, too.

Doc Strange- Thanks for the pics! I am a bit worried by having too "western" a hat for the east coast.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Innisart, from another fairly new poster, I would say you will begin to appreciate a higher crown the more time you spend at The Lounge. Looking through pictures on the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today" and the "New Lid" threads, a lower crown will show up and look a bit odd! Mark my words...

innisart

New in Town
Stylemaster colors

I'm leaning towards the Stylemaster as my first purchase, but I'd like to see other owner's pictures here. Dr. Strange posted a great shot in steel gray, and gave the warning that the hat looks almost black in any lighting other than direct, bright sunlight: I've read that same warning on other threads as well. Does anyone have shots of the hat in mid brown, deep fawn, and acorn fawn?

Chinaski- I know... I expect my tastes will become more refined the more time I spend in the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou