Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
OddSteve said:
That looks great on you, Blackthorn. Now I want one too [huh]

And what color is that - steel grey? Looks a little brownish to me, but darker than the acorn color from the Hatsdirect website.
That is indeed acorn, OddSteve. My wife says it has a faint greenish tinge, but I don't see it.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
OddSteve said:
Now that's interesting! Seems to be a chameleon color, depending on the lighting.

That's Akubra felt for ya. Depends on how wet the felt is at any given spot at any given time too.....

My willow green Squatter has rusty looking hues that come and go like a stray cat. [huh]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Squatter Adventure Theater

It all started as a routine jaunt to Grammy's farm to work the dog.

hpim1653r.jpg

hpim1654f.jpg

Things were look'n pretty.

Dog was work'n good.

hpim1655o.jpg

A fine afternoon about the tall grass.

hpim1658.jpg

hpim1659f.jpg

until I walked into a 'fence mine field' - bits and pieces or whole bales of barbed and straight wire fence strewn across the countryside. These fence mine fields are common throughout the farm belt and they can be downright nasty.

I was doing a double time highstep through about waist high grass when I felt the tug on my foot, followed by the rusty screech of stretching wire. In that split second I was launched into rodeo flip head long and headfirst into this pile of crap.

hpim1678s.jpg

The Squatter broke my fall and, I think, saved me from serious injury. As it is I only have minor bruises and scrapes on my face and a sprain left thumb. The hat didn't fair too bad either. Just some minor pokes and frumples about the ribbon.

hpim1670.jpg

Don't leave home without your lid, ladies and gents!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
It all started as a routine jaunt to Grammy's farm to work the dog.

until I walked into a 'fence mine field' - bits and pieces or whole bales of barbed and straight wire fence strewn across the countryside. These fence mine fields are common throughout the farm belt and they can be downright nasty.

I was doing a double time highstep through about waist high grass when I felt the tug on my foot, followed by the rusty screech of stretching wire. In that split second I was launched into rodeo flip head long and headfirst into this pile of crap.

The Squatter broke my fall and, I think, saved me from serious injury. As it is I only have minor bruises and scrapes on my face and a sprain left thumb. The hat didn't fair too bad either. Just some minor pokes and frumples about the ribbon.

hpim1659f.jpg

Damn CRH..It was such a nice and peaceful walk in the country too. Love the Squatter and the dog.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Huh, I'd almost like to say that that's what happens when you grin at the camera and don't pay attention to where your feet fall... :p

Good to see that no greater harm was caused to you or the hat! :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
CRH said:
. . . .
A fine afternoon about the tall grass.

hpim1658.jpg

. . . . The Squatter broke my fall and, I think, saved me from serious injury. As it is I only have minor bruises and scrapes on my face and a sprain left thumb. The hat didn't fair too bad either. Just some minor pokes and frumples about the ribbon.

hpim1670.jpg

That's how you build character in a hat! Glad to hear that you escaped with only minor injuries.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
New Stylemaster

Helped by Blackthorne's thread asking for pictures of the Stylemaster on Noggins, I ordered one in acorn just like his. It hit the front porch just as I was leaving on a trip so all I have are some cell snaps at the hotel. I think the last shot has the truest color.

In the hand...............Over the head.........On the Noggin

101409_2115.jpg
101409_2114.jpg
101409_2230.jpg

and, Blackthorn, it was sitting in my green upholstered car on the drive up and, sure enough, the olive hues came out.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Federation IV Deluxe Mid-Brown

I posted this over in New Hats, but it seems to belong here as well. I bought this from Neil in the Classifieds last week and got it yesterday. This may have just replaced my Fed IV Standard in Moonstone as my favorite hat. I love the look and feel of that Heritage felt. Also, I've always wanted a good Indiana Jones fedora. Not being able to afford an Adventurebilt (though that is a dream hat), a discounted Fed IV Deluxe was simply too good to resist.

4017215335_75638b6cdf.jpg

It's slightly too small at 61cm, so I softened the outside with steam, put on a do rag to thicken my head profile a bit, and jammed the hat way down on my head. It fits much better now. A few more "training" sessions (as it shrinks back) and I hope to have the hat permanently resized and contoured for me.

Indy inspired crease.
4017977718_da2c26ea99.jpg

Not sure yet, but I think the mid-brown and dark ribbon compliment my skin tone pretty well.
4017215471_e1544b6f97.jpg

Thanks so much for hooking me up, Neil!!!

hattrick

New in Town
Roninjedi said:
I posted this over in New Hats, but it seems to belong here as well. I bought this from Neil in the Classifieds last week and got it yesterday. This may have just replaced my Fed IV Standard in Moonstone as my favorite hat. I love the look and feel of that Heritage felt. Also, I've always wanted a good Indiana Jones fedora. Not being able to afford an Adventurebilt (though that is a dream hat), a discounted Fed IV Deluxe was simply too good to resist.

4017215471_e1544b6f97.jpg

Thanks so much for hooking me up, Neil!!!
Looks great on ya man, nice hat!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:

Not sure yet, but I think the mid-brown and dark ribbon compliment my skin tone pretty well.

Classic Fedora color combo, RJ. Of course it looks great!

Black leather jacket. Check... Brown leather jacket. Check... Green leather jacket. Rock n Roll, Baby! :D

Goose.

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Heck, CRH -- it looks like your dog had better sense than you did...

Dog-Fence.jpg

:D :D :D

(Glad you're OK!)

Cheers,
JtL
HA HA HA!!! Now, THAT is funny!
However, certainly as stated by JtL, I too am glad you got untangled ok CRH :)

Have stated that I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I'm not a spork. So, today I go out for the first time in awhile. Nice that it is a bit cooler so the felt feels less stifling. Been wearing my Barmah 'Roo hats or my Fuji Panama most of the summer.

So, after shopping, I go to load up the 4x4 with the goods. Reach for my sunglasses that I usually keep clipped onto my t-shirt or in the pocket of an Aloha shirt. No glasses. Retracing aisles in the store when it dawns on me that I had recently discovered the pencil curl brim of the Akubra Homburg makes a great place to keep my glasses. They don't slide off or fall out of my pocket when I bend over to pick up something a lady had dropped. Oh, those fair damsels in distress ;) Or really, when I bend over to get the Scrapple outta the store freezer.

So, guess where they were? DOH!!! :eusa_doh:

If I am a spork, I'd like to think I am at least the titanium version ;)

687595966_tqD3S-M.jpg

http://www.sporks.com/Product.aspx?pid=211&catid=19

Blackthorn said:
Looking good, Roninjedi!
10-4 Roger That. :eusa_clap

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:

So, after shopping, I go to load up the 4x4 with the goods. Reach for my sunglasses that I usually keep clipped onto my t-shirt or in the pocket of an Aloha shirt. No glasses. Retracing aisles in the store when it dawns on me that I had recently discovered the pencil curl brim of the Akubra Homburg makes a great place to keep my glasses. They don't slide off or fall out of my pocket when I bend over to pick up something a lady had dropped. Oh, those fair damsels in distress ;) Or really, when I bend over to get the Scrapple outta the store freezer.

So, guess where they were? DOH!!! :eusa_doh:

If I am a spork, I'd like to think I am at least the titanium version ;)

10-4 Roger That. :eusa_clap

At least you didn't ask anyone in the store if they'd seen your sunglasses. lol

The Homburg looks like a perfect place to put them.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
The Hampton

I've been thinking about going stingy for a while now and after stealing my little brothers Hampton for a day I'm sold!

This one's Thyme Green, which I can't find anymore so I'm thinking I'll go the cruiser grey.

DSCN3193-1.jpg

DSCN3192-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou