Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
Anyone out there have an Akubra Sombrero and how did you bash it ? Any pics would be helpful

DougC

Practically Family
"AKUBRA, the authentic quality hat - on top Down Under. The SOMBRERO is as big as its name and with a bash to the open crown the wearer shapes the hat with his own individuality. Great protection from all the elements in this big country." From some website I found.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I know what I was thinking ... I think ...

Didn't this hat used to be habitually shown with Tuckerman's extreme Tom Mix crease?

I noticed today when I was researching something else that it does come open.

I hope Akubra doesn't show up at the house tonight and demand their hats back for that mistake!

At any rate, the crease that Tuckerman used is extreme.

Sam

Landman

One Too Many
I'm located in Texas and was thinking about purchasing an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe from Hats Direct. I'm not use to buying a hat without trying it on first so I was wondering about the sizing. I'm usually in between sizes (7 3/8 to 7 1/2) depending on the hat so I was wondering what size some of you Akubra Campdraft owners would recommend I order. Also if there is a better site to purchase from please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome RBH. This is a great site and wish I had found it sooner.

I was born and raised here in Texas and have always been a Stetson Open Road guy. However, after seeing all the beautiful pictures of the Akubra Campdraft on this forum I decided to give one a try. I've been picking up old Open Roads for years and worn out quite a few but now I'm starting to feel guilty about wearing a beautiful old OR in bad weather or for work outdoors. It will be nice to have a source for new similar hats.

Thanks again for the help.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge. I own four Akubras. My size runs between 7 1/4 and 7/38. All of my Akubras are size 59 or the 7 3/8 and fit great. The size 60 should work great for you.

Kirk H.

Landman

One Too Many
Silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe

I received my new Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft Deluxe today and the hat is beautiful. The customer service was great and the shipping time wasn't too bad. It took exactly 10 days from Australia to Texas.

Unfortunately, the bad news is, it is way too big. I took it out of the box and put it on briefly just like it came with the open crown and it dropped down over my ears. I sure thought the 60 would be the right size because in a Stetson Open Road the 7 3/8 is usually a little tight and a 7 1/2 is usually a tad too big but works fine and tends to shrink down a little over time.

I'm not sure what to do with it now. I don't want to steam it and bash the crown to see if it will fit better because I think it will still be too big. What are your thoughts on that?

I also hate to have to airmail it back to Australia. I think I'm just going to order another one in size 59 and maybe list this one for sale. I'll probably list it in the classifieds here first and then EBay if nobody is interested.

If any of the Akubra fans here would like to have it without waiting for the 10 day shipping from Australia just send me a PM. I'd like to get somewhere in the ballpark of what I paid for it with the shipping costs which was $213.10.

I really wish it fit because it is a fantastic looking hat. At least now I know for sure what size Akubra to order in the future. Thanks for all your help.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I received my new Silverbelly Akubra Campdraft Deluxe today and the hat is beautiful. The customer service was great and the shipping time wasn't too bad. It took exactly 10 days from Australia to Texas.

Unfortunately, the bad news is, it is way too big. I took it out of the box and put it on briefly just like it came with the open crown and it dropped down over my ears. I sure thought the 60 would be the right size because in a Stetson Open Road the 7 3/8 is usually a little tight and a 7 1/2 is usually a tad too big but works fine and tends to shrink down a little over time.

I'm not sure what to do with it now. I don't want to steam it and bash the crown to see if it will fit better because I think it will still be too big. What are your thoughts on that?

I also hate to have to airmail it back to Australia. I think I'm just going to order another one in size 59 and maybe list this one for sale. I'll probably list it in the classifieds here first and then EBay if nobody is interested.

If any of the Akubra fans here would like to have it without waiting for the 10 day shipping from Australia just send me a PM. I'd like to get somewhere in the ballpark of what I paid for it with the shipping costs which was $213.10.

I really wish it fit because it is a fantastic looking hat. At least now I know for sure what size Akubra to order in the future. Thanks for all your help.

All of my Akubras were slightly big on me when first received, and some even went passed my ears. They all started out with a felt strip or two and after a few months wear I was able to take out the strip and they fit my noggin. All I did was hand bash them after wetting down with distilled water and then a bit of steaming. I wear a (small) size 60 as well and with the exception of the FED IV models, I bought each of my Akubras in that size. There was variation from hat to hat however. On the advice of Hats Direct I bought my three FED IV hats in a size 61 and that strategy has worked out well so far.

You may want to consider breaking in the hat and wearing them awhile before giving up on it.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
Yeah, I went to a shop that had about 6 or so different styles of Akubras and all were way too big in my normal size. Also, the felt seemed very lightweight compared to my Stetson western.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
It’s not really a conversion, and it’s not really a campdraft anymore, but it is an Akubra so I thought I’d throw the shots in here. Glen Grey with a slightly smaller than 2 1/2 brim.

DSCF2855.jpg

DSCF2863.jpg

And here’s a shot sitting next to my moonstone Federation. The ribbon is just sitting on it for comparison purposes. I should have went with a campdraft from the get-go. The Fed is great, but the crown on the campdraft is even greater.

DSCF2864.jpg

mikeg

New in Town
help with bashing me new Fed IV deluxe

It arrived today! My new moonstone Fed IV is here!!
I have looked at so many different bash jobs and decided I want to try this one:
fedivbash2.jpg

I can not even get my hat close to looking like that. Does anyone have the time to help a newbie hat basher out with some tips to get that style bash job?

The problem I am having is getting the center "dome" section to come up.

Pics will be posted as soon as I get a deceit looking bash!

Christmas came early for me!

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24