Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
And I'm really wanting a glen gray :)

Will post pics when I get it....in 3 months.

I think Glen Gray is a killer elegant colour...

Let's wait and see, so far I haven't been dissatisfied with any of my Akubras, all of them I love.

I might say those hats fit me well and quality and price wise you can't ask for more.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
Will post pics when I get it....in 3 months.

I think Glen Gray is a killer elegant colour...

Let's wait and see, so far I haven't been dissatisfied with any of my Akubras, all of them I love.

I might say those hats fit me well and quality and price wise you can't ask for more.

Looking forward to seeing it. Couldn't agree more on Akubras. Currently thinking I might have to get myself a glen gray for Christmas this year.

Anyone have experience ordering around the holiday? Do the special orders take longer around the holiday?

Looking forward to seeing it. Couldn't agree more on Akubras. Currently thinking I might have to get myself a glen gray for Christmas this year.

Anyone have experience ordering around the holiday? Do the special orders take longer around the holiday?
In my experience it really seems to depend more on whether or not the vendor has the hat you want in stock at the time you place your order. I've ordered from both Hats Direct/The Hattery and Everything Australian, and they both shipped within 24 hours if they had the hat on hand. Two of the hats I ordered from Everything Australian were "special orders" (i.e., they didn't have them in stock and had to order them from Akubra) and it was two to three months before I received them. Everything Australian appears to maintain less stock than Hats Direct, which is why they often advise the dreaded "three month wait" for some of their hats.

Another thing to consider is that our winter here in the northern hemisphere is their summer in the southern hemisphere, and Akubra normally ceases operations for a couple of weeks because of the extreme heat they experience in Australia during that time of year, which may also add time to any delay. And, of course, once the vendors ship your order and it's in the hands of the carriers, any number of delays can occur for various reasons. So if you want a hat for December/Christmas your best bet is to order it a few months earlier, especially if you're ordering from Everything Australian.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up

I haven't ordered around Christmas, but if you buy it from Sam at EA it will take 3 months to be ready to ship, so my advice will be to order it around august to get a delivery date in November or early December

foamy

A-List Customer
Finally got around to shaping the CD Saturday morning. Soaked the crown with a spray bottle of distilled water and formed (what I thought was) a quite nice teardrop w/pinches on the front in a typical fedora shape. Tried it on and couldn't get along with it. It just wasn't me. So, went to the original Plan A, a telescope kinda bash—much happier with that. My apologies for copying your style Bob, but it just works better for me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

This being my first time with bashing, I don't know what I expected when I started on this hat, but I found it quite malleable and easy to work with. Now I know why you fellas like shaping your own crowns. Joy.

IMG_0729.jpg IMG_0726.jpg

It's a big 'ol hat and very comfy. Not sure if it's "me," though. IDK. Thoughts? Be honest.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
foamy .. I think it suites you very well ... nice work

pretty hard to make a CD look bad

you will never want to buy anything but open crown again

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Foamy, I think it looks great on you. And you did a fine job on the bash.

The tall crown works well with you hair, balancing it well. I have the opposite issue, short hair with no facial hair. I opted for the teardrop with longish side dents because a tall wide crown didn't balance well. I'd started with a diamond bash and small pinch. You have to find what works for you and IMO, you did.

20150727_115153.jpg 20150727_115201.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to shaping the CD Saturday morning. Soaked the crown with a spray bottle of distilled water and formed (what I thought was) a quite nice teardrop w/pinches on the front in a typical fedora shape. Tried it on and couldn't get along with it. It just wasn't me. So, went to the original Plan A, a telescope kinda bash—much happier with that. My apologies for copying your style Bob, but it just works better for me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

This being my first time with bashing, I don't know what I expected when I started on this hat, but I found it quite malleable and easy to work with. Now I know why you fellas like shaping your own crowns. Joy.

View attachment 33001 View attachment 33000

It's a big 'ol hat and very comfy. Not sure if it's "me," though. IDK. Thoughts? Be honest.

DEFINITELY YOU! and me too! Lol. Looks great and BTW that style Akubras been popular way before I did mine. The more the merrier.

foamy

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind replies and encouragement, gentlemen.

Rogerstg, I agree with Bob, that the bash you put on yours looks great. Fits you perfectly. Your explanation of why certain elements work or don't, makes sense and I can picture it much more easily now. Thank you for that.

Moon, you may well be right. It's fun and I'm easily amused. Plus, it makes it somewhat personal.

Again, thanks everyone. I'm getting an education here and I've got a long way to go.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yep, they have the pic in facebook, I believe Brad told me he can get it in Bunny for 215 or 250, not sure about it.

I asked when I first called regarding my Milan Straw.

Sent u a PM Sir. Did u get it? I saw the Peter Bros blue on FB. It seems like a lighter blue than the deeper appearing Borsa. Also the Guerra GQ is so deep it looks like a midnight blue/violet. Unfortunatly they are sold out of that color. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo