Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

wedgetail

New in Town
I was never interested in a Sombrero until I saw what you did here with the brim. I am thinking I may need one now. Very nice
You know you do...
How did you get that outrageously good looking pencil curl on the brim?? That is SO good looking!!!

~shoes~
Thanks! But I can't claim too much credit - Akubra did the hard bit! Once I'd pulled the sides down the front and rear half wanted to keep curling so I just helped them along with some steam and curled by hand. Might still neaten it up with some rope though

wedgetail

New in Town
OK finished for the moment. Finalised the band now it's first day out tomorrow! Not 100% sure I should have gone for the two joins in the band, maybe I should have stuck with the one... But then it was quite plain - grass is always greener I guess
P1040795_zpsz9lppzoi.jpg

P1040796_zpstivnuab9.jpg

P1040797_zps6bbvn1xo.jpg

looks like I'll have to retake this one...

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
OK finished for the moment. Finalised the band now it's first day out tomorrow! Not 100% sure I should have gone for the two joins in the band, maybe I should have stuck with the one... But then it was quite plain - grass is always greener I guess
P1040795_zpsz9lppzoi.jpg

P1040796_zpstivnuab9.jpg

P1040797_zps6bbvn1xo.jpg

looks like I'll have to retake this one...

Wedgetail , you do some really good work ! Between you and HJ , I'm feeling pretty inadequate . But y'all have given me some great ideas for when I do start messing with my Woomera . I know with a little patience and persistence I'll get it the way I want . That Brim is Killer , and Crown , too ! Is it tough to get the curl like you want without the tool ? Your old Sombrero looked Great to me . You're right about Les Hiddins being too iconic for anyone else to try to pull off . I don't imagine there are many sissies out at the stations , but (haha !) my brother years ago was in Sydney , I think . Said he was going out looking around and there was a parade , so he stopped to watch . Turned out it was a She/He/It parade , the first I'd ever heard of . They're everywhere I guess , now .

There are some great Rodeo Cowboys that come out of AU , and Horse Trainers , too . Working wild cattle can't be easy , tough land . There's places here that turn em out , or let em run wild until time to get em up .

Looking forward to the head shots . How did you find that oven ? The Rayburn ?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Some of you guys are getting your Akubra hats direct from Aus pretty fast. I ordered my Coober Pedy from australiangear.com back on July 31st and I'm getting impatient. Not upset, just can't wait to get the hat. Their tracking number doesn't show anything past Aug 3 or 4; depends on the day... one day it says "Despatched, Processed through facility, 8:21am Thu 4 Aug, BRISBANE QLD," and the next day it reverts back to Aug 3.

Has anybody else ordered through Australian Gear before?

I ordered the Coober Pedy in Sand. It should make a dandy sun hat when I'm out and about. I ordered from Oz rather than here in the states because I liked the leather band with tiny opal attached a lot more than the skinny ribbon you see on the David Morgan imported Akubra Coober Pedy.

I also like the looks of the Lawson, Banjo Paterson and the Angler. I ordered one to see how the sizing goes, and then plan to order more. I agree, the Akubra hats look like a fine deal. I saw a used one on ebay but it was much too small for me. I'm running 59-60cm on hat size.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Has anybody else ordered through Australian Gear before?

I ordered a hat from them last year. I chose whatever their middle shipping option is, and I don't recall any major delays. I would order from them again based on my experience, but I have read some less favorable comments here as well.

If you are running the tracking number through Australia Post, you might want to try it on the USPS website and see if you get any additional information.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Australian Gear , Hats by The Hundred , RM Williams (I think) , and Spectrum on line (eBay) are the same outfit , I've never ordered from them . Everything Australian , and Hats Direct I have , they're good , Top Notch , I know .

If there's a hold up , its usually US Customs , or that's been my experience .

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I had a bad experience with Hats By The Hundred around ten years ago. I ordered a Bogart in Carbon Grey... and they sent me a black one. Even when I emailed them pictures proving it was black, they wouldn't admit their mistake and pay return shipping for a replacement. I ended up selling it here on the Lounge at a loss rather than pay the return shipping myself.

Well, that was now a long time ago, and many others have had good results buying at their various sites. So I don't know that proves anything... but personally, I won't buy from them again.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I pay with a credit card so I can dispute charges if there's a mistake on the seller's end. Unfortunately, I've had to go that route a couple times.

But back to good hat talk. I can't wait for my new hat to get here. I'd wear it today if I had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner