Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks good, Mr. P. I like the flat brim look of the Fed. It makes it a bit different from the rest. Very nice diamond.

rrog

A-List Customer
Mr. Paladin said:
Its a diamond with a diamond center dent and I LIKE it!

Mr. P, I like it a lot. I just may have to re-do mine. I actually like the back being up like that. Great work.

rrog

Swagman

New in Town
Mr P's Fed

Nice work. Very smooth and professional looking. You give me hope that I can achieve a decent bash with mine when it arrives. If it looks half as good as what you've done, ...well, you'll look twice as good.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks everyone. I have only recreased one other hat before this one and it was my vintage Resistol. It did not do nearly as well as it seems to have a strong memory for its old shape that even steam cannot quite change. I am really pleased with this one and with the customer service at HatsDirect. Now if they just come through with those grey Campdrafts that carterspoke with them about....

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Also posted in what hat are you wearing today?....
Bushman and a trench to brave the weather...
bushman-rain-a.jpg

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Fed IV at the Getty

I was resting at the Getty museum cafe on a lovely day, when my wife grabbed my camera and took these. The Fed has quickly become my everyday hat.

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Z

Swagman

New in Town
deanzat said:
I was resting at the Getty museum cafe on a lovely day, when my wife grabbed my camera and took these. The Fed has quickly become my everyday hat.
Z

Nice profile.

So what bash did you finally settle on with the hat?

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Swagman said:
Nice profile.

So what bash did you finally settle on with the hat?

I wouldn't say I've settled things yet, but here's what it looks like at the moment - very simple:

107850821.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Swagman said:
I don't have one. If they had it in Moonstone I probably would. However, do you think the ribbon is that thin or is it the other dimensions of the hat that make it appear so? It has a 2-3/4" brim and a rather tall 5-1/2" crown. That probably means it has the same 1-1/4" ribbon other Akubras have.

Would still like to see one on someone's noggin though. Looks like a cool hat.
I measured and it is a 1-1/4" ribbon. As for seeing it on someone's noggin, here ya go:

CEO_1.jpg

It has a bluish tinge that is not in the moonstone.
And here is the CEO with a light grey puggaree added:

CEOPug_1.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
JohnnyB53 said:
Add me to the list of new moonstone Fed IV Deluxe owners. I ordered mine on Dec. 12....

I bashed my tawny fawn (Fed IV) in an elongated teardrop and the DM Adventurer in a C-crown, but I'm going to keep the moonstone Deluxe in the crease/dent config. ...

Pics will follow when I have the time.
And as promised, here they are:

Tawny Fawn Fed IV std:

TFFedIV1.jpg

The Akubra David Morgan Adventurer:

DMAdvntrer1.jpg

And the pride of my collection, the Federation IV Deluxe in Moonstone:

MnstneFedIVDlx1.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Since we're on Akubra Overload, I have to share my latest acquisition. I live pretty close to the David Morgan showroom. I went up there yesterday and came away with this, a DM Bushman in his exclusive color, Nullarbor Tan. It comes open crown. I first dry-bashed it in a crease/pinch, and wore it around that way for more than a day. But after awhile the hat seemed to find the bash that it wanted, which is about halfway between a C-crown and a cattleman's crease. So this is how I steamed it:

DMBushman2.jpg
DMBushman1.jpg

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
How long has Akubra been around? I know a while, but I ask because I've never seen anyone post a vintage Akubra, they're always newer models. Anyone got some older ones to show?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
UWS Cowboy said:
How long has Akubra been around? I know a while, but I ask because I've never seen anyone post a vintage Akubra, they're always newer models. Anyone got some older ones to show?
Akubra has "only" been around 97 to 135 years depending on the start date you pick. I think there are a couple reasons you don't see vintage Akubras much: 1) Distribution from Australia to the US has probably been inconsistent for most of their existence 2) They are such hardy hats people wear them to death.

There's this:

AkubraS-masterad.jpg

And I remember a FLounger who scored a '50s-era Stylemaster off eBay awhile ago.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
JohnnyB53 said:
Since we're on Akubra Overload, I have to share my latest acquisition. I live pretty close to the David Morgan showroom. I went up there yesterday and came away with this, a DM Bushman in his exclusive color, Nullarbor Tan. It comes open crown. I first dry-bashed it in a crease/pinch, and wore it around that way for more than a day. But after awhile the hat seemed to find the bash that it wanted, which is about halfway between a C-crown and a cattleman's crease. So this is how I steamed it:

DMBushman2.jpg
DMBushman1.jpg
Johnny...All great hats!!!...When you have a chance...Can you take a bunch of pics of David Morgans place and post them on the Store Images thread. I'd love to see what his place looks like.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Colby Jack said:
Johnny...All great hats!!!...When you have a chance...Can you take a bunch of pics of David Morgans place and post them on the Store Images thread. I'd love to see what his place looks like.
I'll see what I can do. Since their main operation has always been mail order, their showroom is rather modest. They have about a 100 pg catalog, so much of the space is taken up with outerwear, bullwhips, jewelry counters, drizabone slickers, and such. They do, however, have their entire Akubra hat selection on display, but that only comes to 20 Akubras.

A really fascinating store in my area is Byrnie Utz hats, an old time downtown hat store that's been around for 70 years.

art01_c.jpg
art01_e.jpg
art01_d.jpg

We also have an old time custom hatter, Alex Conley.

And you're absolutely right about DM's version of the Akubra Bushman. That is one hell of a hat. Big, tough, resilient, and well-proportioned. If I had my hat binge to do over again, I think I'd be happy with just the grey Fed IV Deluxe and the Bushman. But I will of course rotate all five.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
JohnnyB53 said:
And as promised, here they are:

Tawny Fawn Fed IV std:

TFFedIV1.jpg

The Akubra David Morgan Adventurer:

DMAdvntrer1.jpg

And the pride of my collection, the Federation IV Deluxe in Moonstone:

MnstneFedIVDlx1.jpg

After seeing the actual Tawny color in your post;
I ordered one too, as well as a another Carbon grey for safe keeping.
I debuted my Moooooonstone last week at services,
and man! did I get a lot of compliments.

Cheers!
Fats

kiltie

Practically Family
I just added a Federation IV Standard to my pile ( which includes a Squatter, an Adventurer, and an old slouch hat ). This is my first hat from Hatsdirect, as the other two were out of David Morgan. Each has it's own perks and minuses. The Squatter and the Adventurer are both VERY soft and pliable, but have an outwardly "coarse" appearance. My new Federation has a much smoother appearance, but in comparison to the DMs is chock full o'stiffener.

The Digger is old enough that the felt has that very fine appearance upon close inspection, but it's tough as tough. It's soft to the touch, but not the least bit floppy. I really wish I had more excuses to wear it.

This new Federation is a really neat looking hat and, to my relief, much more refined dressier - looking than the other "Imperial" hats I've seen thus far. Can anyone say if this is relative to this model, Hatsdirect, or just that the felt has changed in the year since I got my Squatter... strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff