Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks, it is a nice hat. I'm very impressed with the felt. I think it's nicer than the Fed Regular I had and sold [wish I hadn't... live and learn. [huh] ]

I've had quite an afternoon, so I'll get to my bashing in a bit. [Helped the mail man track down his lost cell phone.]

Oh, I did beat my Federation around a month or two ago, it caused the wire reed in the sweat to bend conspicuously, so I removed it.

gtdean, I'm trying to hunt down a photo I took of my Fed4 for the purpose of showing the bash job. I must have deleted them. I'll take a few pics this evening for you.

Randy

CRH

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
Thanks, it is a nice hat. I'm very impressed with the felt. I think it's nicer than the Fed Regular I had and sold [wish I hadn't... live and learn. [huh] ]

So you're not trembling with fear of the big brim? ;)

theinterchange

One Too Many
I finally got to bashing my Squatter this afternoon. As I suspected, bashing was a breeze. For the most part, it was a dry bash, only used some steam on the front point of the crown dent and brim.

Basically, I just followed the hat, I started bashing and this is what happened.

DSC_3872.jpg

DSC_3873.jpg

DSC_3874.jpg

I must say it's not 100% where I want it, there are a couple of things I'll be tweaking with as it breaks in.

Tomorrow I'll get a shot of it on my head.

Randy

P.S I can't decide if I want a Bushman or tawny fawn Campdraft as my next Akubra.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
I finally got to bashing my Squatter this afternoon. As I suspected, bashing was a breeze. For the most part, it was a dry bash, only used some steam on the front point of the crown dent and brim.

Basically, I just followed the hat, I started bashing and this is what happened.
DSC_3874.jpg

I must say it's not 100% where I want it, there are a couple of things I'll be tweaking with as it breaks in.

Well done, tc. You can tweak it after a good soaking by rain, or sleet, or snow!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Many Thanks!

I'm really loving this hat. The sizing issue I had out of the box is non existent now, it fits perfectly.

I noticed that I didn't have enough drop to the back of the crown for my liking. Amazing how you can stare at a hat in person, but once you see a photo of it, you notice things.

One of my hat itches down, a carbon grey Akubra, oh maybe a dozen to go! lol

Randy

CRH

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
I'm really loving this hat. The sizing issue I had out of the box is non existent now, it fits perfectly.

I noticed that I didn't have enough drop to the back of the crown for my liking. Amazing how you can stare at a hat in person, but once you see a photo of it, you notice things.

I prefer a little or a lot of rake myself but the style you posted is certainly not without precedent. If you know anyone who matches your head size and would be willing to try on your hats for you and can be trusted to give them back - lol - have him try it on. I find this a very educational and enlightening experience.

theinterchange

One Too Many
CRH said:
If you know anyone who matches your head size and would be willing to try on your hats for you and can be trusted to give them back - lol - have him try it on. I find this a very educational and enlightening experience.

I'm like Barney Fife, in that I can't stand anyone wearing my hat. I get the willies trying on hats in stores, and used hats, it takes me a while to want to wear it. :eek:

THOUGH, I would imagine it is an interesting thing.

Randy

elvisroe

A-List Customer
something a little stingy

Hey all,
Thought I'd throw up my new Akubra Hampton. My long-suffering wife gave it to me this week for our wedding anniversary and it has barely left my head!

It's Cruiser Grey with matching ribbon and trim and I love it! I'd never really considered going stingy until this year but was quite a fan of Christian Bale's little grey number in public enemies (I think I was the only one on this site!) and thought I'd look into it.

newgrey1.jpg

greyhat3.jpg

greyhat2.jpg

My only gripe was with the lining. It had come unglued on one side (top of pic) and was in quite a twisted mess when I received it. I've had this problem before with Strand Hatters, when there is a small problem their response has been "take it or leave it". Also you leave the store with your hat in a plastic carry bag unless your willing to fork out extra for a box.

While I love the hat and I will keep it rather than wait for an order from elsewhere, it just takes the shine of an otherwise positive moment!

greyhat5-1.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
That's really quite nice, elvisroe! A spot of glue would take care of that liner. I've considered a Hampton for my next Akubra, but am most likely going to order a Campdraft after the Christmas rush is over.

But, your hat may change my mind... hmm

Randy

CRH

Call Me a Cab
elvisroe said:
Hey all,
Thought I'd throw up my new Akubra Hampton. ...

My only gripe was with the lining. It had come unglued on one side (top of pic) and was in quite a twisted mess when I received it. ...

Sigh :( , I hate those damn glued linings. Actually I don't prefer any lining...

Thanks for the post, elvisroe. That's a great side shot and it tells me that the Hampton has too much front to back taper for my tastes. My Squatters, on the other hand, have little front to back taper and a fair amount of side to side taper. I feel good in that! ;)

Edit:
Upon reviewing the thread I see that your photo was not a straight on side shot. Would you mind posting one, ER?

Hamletsghost

New in Town
:eusa_clap SWEET STINGY ELVISROE :D

Love da color - It definately is for you. NICE anniversary gift - I agree with you about Chistian Bales hat, it looked great.
I am so sorry you had even the small problem to taint your new brim experience. You would think with all the worthy vendors out there your hatter would make a little more effort to keep his clients happy. I will make sure to avoid Strand Hatters when I order in the future -
I recently recieved my Territory from Sam at Everything Australian (pics etc to follow)- Which from looking at the map I see Moorabin Victoria is a fair piece away from you in Sydney - BUT I will say this - The service I recieved from EA was IMPECABLE :D :D
Now granted I picked a hat & color that was in stock (up to a 3 month wait on some) but I recieved my shipper notice within 2 days on the 10th - I even picked the cheapest shipping rate as I was in no hurry - Even then I had it IN HAND on the 17th - that includes a weekend AND the Christmas rush nightmare from my local postman (dodgey at the best of times) Let alone I'm on the other side of the planet. AND Sam's price was the best I found online - I will be dealing with this fine vendor again as my hat collection grows - You may want to concider this worthy vendor in the future - I cannot give him a better recommendation.

Hamletsghost :cool:

Enjoy Your new baby - It's a BEAUTY

hatted

One of the Regulars
Nungar Trading Company

:rage: Has anyone had recent experience with Nungar Trading Company? I ordered a black campdraft from them (I dealt with Steve Neiberding) in August (knowing it would take three months to get it), and it hasn't arrived yet. I've emailed them a number of times to get an ETA, but I get no response. :rage:

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
hm

weird, i recently signed up for the site and emailed them (steve i suppose) a few questions on deliver/shipping chargers and haven't heard a response in weeks (2 or 3).

they have a few email addresses listed try all of them- then see what happens.

barra063

Familiar Face
Sorry to hear of that. I have always had good dealings with Nungar. I live close to their tiny little store front and can give them a call for you if you want.

Barra

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
[tips hat]

thanks for the offer...

well i didn't order from them- anyone having difficulties ought to look into it. perhaps the server was down or something.

hatted

One of the Regulars
Thanks Barra. I thought maybe they went out of business or something. Steve responded pretty quickly when I was ordering the hat, but it's been radio silence since them. And my order still appears to be active. I would be much obliged if you'd pop into the shop, but only if it's not out of your way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael